Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Default iRobot Roombaź 540 Vacuum Cleaning Robot

Did anyone use it? Any comment?

http://store.irobot.com/product/inde...uctId=11033987
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

We've got a 535, which has some fewer features than the 540 you linked to, but I can't remember what the differences are anymore. It does a decent enough job but our kids like to play with it when it's running and so we haven't used it much. We bought it several years ago and it has been sitting on the charger most of that time.

When it runs it stays in the same area (closed off room or limited by a virtual wall) for about 30 minutes, running in random directions. When it is done it either turns off, or if you're using a virtual wall/lighthouse it will direct itself into the next area and run in there. We never used the lighthouse feature because our floorplan was either too open or already closed off, but we just moved to a new house and were planning to get another virtual wall/lighthouse so that we could start using that feature.

However, I tried starting it a few weeks ago and the battery is shot; even though it says it has a full charge it dies almost immediately. Since we haven't really used it, I am split between ordering a replacement and just leaving it alone. Procrastination is helping me lean toward leaving it alone. And yes, I know that I shouldn't have left it on the charger all that time if it wasn't being used. Procrastination helped me kill the battery too. So it goes.

Last edited by no driver; 05-10-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

From my experience, it (i dont remember what model we had) did a decent job of vaccuming. Something along the lines of if you had a slightly ADD child vaccuming a room.

Has a much higher entertainment value then a usefullness value. especially if you have animals that will play with it.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeitra View Post
From my experience, it (i dont remember what model we had) did a decent job of vaccuming. Something along the lines of if you had a slightly ADD child vaccuming a room.

Has a much higher entertainment value then a usefullness value. especially if you have animals that will play with it.
Or trip over it in the middle of the night.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

I have one but it is an old one with the scheduling. I've had it for years. At one point I bought a replacement battery off of ebay. Another time - out of warranty, I had to get it repaired, so I bought a shell from irobot for some $ amount less than the cost of a new one.

It works decently for our 1100 sq foot apartment .

The scheduling feature is good if you can find one available. We use it for our kitchen and living room and bedroom. Occasionally other rooms too.

Also, it is on woot! every once in a while so you may want to wait around for that.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

My dog does a reasonably good job of cleaning up spills.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
CAS Aktüerler Derneği

Studying for Exam FM
College: Hacettepe University

My mom uses it, it really does a decent job vacuuming the house but, since my mom freaks out even when she sees a tiny bit of dust, I can't say she is content with the job it does.

It would be great for me, but she refuses to let me have it.

Oh and it scares the crap out of cats and is funny to watch. Sometimes I turn it on just to entertain myself when I am visiting parents.

It is a great help if your house doesn't tend to get too dirty. (ie: kids spilling stuff, too many plants etc.)
Old 09-11-2018, 05:10 PM
SOA

Just bought two robot vacuums. It's interesting to see how these have evolved.

Got the Roomba 985 (Costco's version of the 980) for my dad and stepmom. Both are having a lot of health problems, and it's now painful for them to vacuum. The accumulating dust on their dark hardwood floors was really weighing on them. My stepsister came over and cleaned up, and a few days later I set up the Roomba. They love it. Does a great job on hard floors, especially since they don't track in much.

I bought a Roborock S5 myself, shipped directly from China for less than $400. Uses a laser to map out the layout of the floor, and then vacuums in straight, overlapping lines. I can also tell it to go back and redo certain rooms multiple times.

Neither is as powerful as a push vacuum, but they're certainly better than my old Roomba. And as the owner of a golden retriever, daily vacuuming is a must.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post

{yadda}{yadda}{yadda} Roomba. And as the owner of a golden retriever, daily vacuuming is a must.
And as the owner of a "mixed breed" labra-mutt, daily vacuuming is a must.

I splurged on a Dyson V8-Animal this summer. (Just weeks before the new Dyson V10 premiered I should have waited.) It is pretty darn cool. It is about as powerful as my corded hoover. It is easy to clean& empty, easy to charge, and very light to carry around. It was expensive,and I still have to do the vacuuming myself, but it's a lot easier now that I am not tethered by a power cord and the vacuum itself is about a quarter of the weight of my old one.

Last edited by DeepPurple; 09-26-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
And as the owner of a "mixed breed" labra-mutt, daily vacuuming is a must.

I splurged on a Dyson V8-Animal this summer. (Just weeks before the new Dyson V10 premiered I should have waited.) It is pretty darn cool. It is about as powerful as my corded hoover. It is easy to clean& empty, easy to charge, and very light to carry around. It was expensive,and I still have to do the vacuuming myself, but it's a lot easier now that I am not tethered by a power cord and the vacuum itself is about a quarter of the weight of my old one.
We still have our heavy upright that we use for more thorough vacuuming. But the robot vacuum does a great job of maintaining daily. The dog hair seems to mainly sit up on top, where it can be effectively picked up by the robot. But, yeah, there's no substitute for a more powerful vacuum.