Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-24-2018, 06:52 PM
CAS

TY
Old 09-26-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post

{yadda}{yadda}{yadda} Roomba. And as the owner of a golden retriever, daily vacuuming is a must.
And as the owner of a "mixed breed" labra-mutt, daily vacuuming is a must.

I splurged on a Dyson V8-Animal this summer. (Just weeks before the new Dyson V10 premiered I should have waited.) It is pretty darn cool. It is about as powerful as my corded hoover. It is easy to clean& empty, easy to charge, and very light to carry around. It was expensive,and I still have to do the vacuuming myself, but it's a lot easier now that I am not tethered by a power cord and the vacuum itself is about a quarter of the weight of my old one.

Last edited by DeepPurple; 09-26-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
And as the owner of a "mixed breed" labra-mutt, daily vacuuming is a must.

I splurged on a Dyson V8-Animal this summer. (Just weeks before the new Dyson V10 premiered I should have waited.) It is pretty darn cool. It is about as powerful as my corded hoover. It is easy to clean& empty, easy to charge, and very light to carry around. It was expensive,and I still have to do the vacuuming myself, but it's a lot easier now that I am not tethered by a power cord and the vacuum itself is about a quarter of the weight of my old one.
We still have our heavy upright that we use for more thorough vacuuming. But the robot vacuum does a great job of maintaining daily. The dog hair seems to mainly sit up on top, where it can be effectively picked up by the robot. But, yeah, there's no substitute for a more powerful vacuum.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 AM
CAS

my company is sponsoring a charity event today. i bought some raffle tickets for an 800 series roomba - fingers crossed!
Old 09-28-2018, 03:09 PM
SOA

My Costco has the Roomba 985 on sale for $499. I bought one off their website for that price for my dad a few weeks ago, but they were sold out online last I checked. But if anybody is in the market, and wants a good price on the top-of-the-line Roomba, that's the way to go.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:35 PM
CAS

I'm starting to look into this. What am I getting for my money at the different price points?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I'm starting to look into this. What am I getting for my money at the different price points?
I jumped in last year and after testing a few out I landed on the Neato. The samsung was the best vacuum but neato seemed to map/navigate a little better. Some are a little taller than others.

At low end you get random/bump navigation.

As you spend more you get either LIDAR (laser) or camera ceiling mapping. This vacuums in a smart pattern rater than random. Think lines on your carpet.

The mapping ones will do your entire floor plan whereas the randoms mostly just do a room at a time. Some of the mapping ones learn your floor plan and allow you to tell it what room to clean with "no go lines" if you want to exclude something.

In our home it does about 99.9% of the vacuuming, not because it gets everything, but because it gets most stuff, and were too lazy to bother for the rest.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
my company is sponsoring a charity event today. i bought some raffle tickets for an 800 series roomba - fingers crossed!
rats! skunked again
Old 09-29-2018, 01:47 PM
CAS

this looks like a pretty good article

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/
Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
this looks like a pretty good article

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/
Check out the reviews on Amazon for those top-rated models. There was a picture of a relatively new one that crashed down somebody's stairs. These vacuums aren't supposed to do that.