Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaboor View Post
That's how I feel as well, although the majority of the responses on these threads gives the impression that the data shouldn't be used.
May I ask how long your memo was and if you needed the Segal book to do this module?
about 1-1.5 page per tasks. I used the Segal book mostly for Task 1. But if the module contains enough info on types of risks (which I don't remember) you should be fine.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:33 PM
SOA

College: Texas Tech

Quote:
That's how I feel as well, although the majority of the responses on these threads gives the impression that the data shouldn't be used.
May I ask how long your memo was and if you needed the Segal book to do this module?
bottom of this pdf should help for task 1:
https://www.casact.org/cms/pdf/Advan...a-Report_1.pdf
Old 02-01-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobdale View Post
bottom of this pdf should help for task 1:
https://www.casact.org/cms/pdf/Advan...a-Report_1.pdf
Thanks for the link, I can definitely use it to polish my task 1 answer. Can I ask for which tasks you referenced Segal? I don't have the book and I'm wondering if I need to reference Segal to pass eom4?

Last edited by Zaboor; 02-01-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 01:52 AM
CAS SOA

College: UWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight View Post
FYI I wrote I'll be able to use the data once errors are corrected. and I passed EOM4
Quote:
I think that when they ask yes/no questions like this they often try to put them on the fuzzy line between so that you're forced to work to justify your answer. They don't want a clear right answer, because they don't want 'checking forums' to be the easiest way to reach a conclusion.

So I would guess that if you make a call and back it up with discussion that's in line with ASOP 23 you can pass.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Dallas Baptist University Alumni

Did you guys cite the AOSP directly? I went more with the format of "hi, this is the data we were given, I did a review in accordance with actuarial standards and here are some issues I found that concern me:" and then listed my issues in bullet points. I based the things I highlighted around various parts of the AOSP but I didn't get "and this is a violation of AOSP section 3.2," etc.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: BU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperez317 View Post
Did you guys cite the AOSP directly? I went more with the format of "hi, this is the data we were given, I did a review in accordance with actuarial standards and here are some issues I found that concern me:" and then listed my issues in bullet points. I based the things I highlighted around various parts of the AOSP but I didn't get "and this is a violation of AOSP section 3.2," etc.
That's basically what I did. I gave a brief (literally one sentence) description of ASOP #23 then acknowledged it as helping to guide the data review. Then I listed out all the problems I found. I didn't make any specific reference to the points outlined in ASOP #23.

Disclaimer: I have not MMR'd this exercise yet; submitted just a few days ago.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA

VEE: Econ Finance Stats

Tags
eom4, eom4 task 2, quickwich