Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 PM
SOA

Default PlayStation VR

My high schooler wants the PlayStation VR bundle with Skyrim for Christmas. That's a good bit more than we usually spend on Christmas, but if I thought this was a fantastic gift, we could make an exception.

I know little about video games. But when I look up PlayStation VR on Amazon, I see that an awful lot of packages appear as "discontinued." I would hate to spend this much on something that is already on the way out.

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2018, 01:05 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

IMHO, it's not on the way out. They are still releasing games on a regular basis, but the "buzz" has died down. The discontinued things you are seeing may just be bundles that are discontinued, but the core experience is still on sale.

That said, the biggest issue with PSVR is that most of the "games" are better described as "experiences". Arkham VR was incredible, but was maybe an hour long. Other launch titles had similar lengths.

Now, two years in, some of the releases are closer to full-fledged games. Farpoint, which uses the Aim controller is a full-length game. Not sure what the deal with Skyrim is, as I'm not a Skyrim guy, but if it's the whole game in VR that's a lot of content.

The other way to look at it, is that if you own a PS4 and want to do VR, PSVR is the cheapest entry point. Oculus, etc. require a pretty beefy PC, which is expensive, and the additional VR equipment is much more expensive than PSVR. So, to get into a VR, PSVR is the cheapest way.

I have played a lot of games in VR, and to me it's still very cool. Tetris Effect just came out, and it is amazing in VR. So, if you can afford it, it's definitely fun.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:55 AM
Non-Actuary

If VR is the priority, or saving money, consider Oculus Go which is much much cheaper if you don't already have a PS4.

As a standalone unit, Oculus Go also has the benefit of not requiring a barrage of extra wires strewn around the place (see the PSVR setup diagram below).

Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
If VR is the priority, or saving money, consider Oculus Go which is much much cheaper if you don't already have a PS4.

As a standalone unit, Oculus Go also has the benefit of not requiring a barrage of extra wires strewn around the place (see the PSVR setup diagram below).
hmmm...i don't do enough gaming to go all in on anything, but this Oculus Go looks like it could be fun

i think i'll go find a demo location and check it out. the price is certainly right
Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 AM
CAS

I have a Go. It's solid. Like IH pointed out, it doesn't have wires, so that's a plus. The main drawback is that it's only 3 degrees of freedom(dof) opposed to the rift and psvr which are 6 dof. This means the Go only tracks head movement at a fixed point so while you can move your head around, it doesn't track if you stand/sit, walk around, etc. It's underpowered compared to the others but makes up for it in portability. There are some really fun games/experiences but I still haven't found anything game-changing that takes it beyond the novelty.

Oculus is also releasing the Quest in spring 2019 which is pretty much a beefier Go with cameras to make it 6dof. That'll be at the $400 price point.

If you have any q's about it, let me know.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Non-Actuary

Riftcat has a PC driver for Oculus Go that will let you run VR games from Steam on the PC and have the visuals streamed to the OGo. That's the main reason I might get one. And I don't want a VR system that involves walking around, because of the risk of crashing into furniture or electronics. I don't have a dedicated room that I can clear out for VR.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Riftcat has a PC driver for Oculus Go that will let you run VR games from Steam on the PC and have the visuals streamed to the OGo. That's the main reason I might get one. And I don't want a VR system that involves walking around, because of the risk of crashing into furniture or electronics. I don't have a dedicated room that I can clear out for VR.
I tried to stream through Steam, but my vid card is insufficient.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

I have it and it's fun. For me it's not necessarily for long game sessions and I was disappointed by movement in Skyrim (look it up, you may not care. I also played it on normal PS4 already so if it's a new experience you again may not care) but there are some gems I'd recommend:

Wipeout HD
Thumper
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Beat Sabre is coming out soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
I have a Go. It's solid. Like IH pointed out, it doesn't have wires, so that's a plus. The main drawback is that it's only 3 degrees of freedom(dof) opposed to the rift and psvr which are 6 dof. This means the Go only tracks head movement at a fixed point so while you can move your head around, it doesn't track if you stand/sit, walk around, etc. It's underpowered compared to the others but makes up for it in portability. There are some really fun games/experiences but I still haven't found anything game-changing that takes it beyond the novelty.

Oculus is also releasing the Quest in spring 2019 which is pretty much a beefier Go with cameras to make it 6dof. That'll be at the $400 price point.

If you have any q's about it, let me know.
i have no prior VR experience and this seems like a good entry point. yeah, the 6dof would be great, but for a couple hundo it seems like a fair compromise. i'd probably use it for a few games, but i'm also interested in the other experience offerings too. they seem like they could be fun.

i can always give it away to a niece or nephew if i don't like it or get bored with it

also, what is the guy doing in your avatar?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i have no prior VR experience and this seems like a good entry point. yeah, the 6dof would be great, but for a couple hundo it seems like a fair compromise. i'd probably use it for a few games, but i'm also interested in the other experience offerings too. they seem like they could be fun.

i can always give it away to a niece or nephew if i don't like it or get bored with it

also, what is the guy doing in your avatar?

It's Snotty from Revenge of the Nerds II. He is smoking the marijuana like a cigarette.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: