Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 04-21-2015, 06:16 PM
SOA

Default Career Changer, please help me out

Hi..I am looking to change over into Actuarial Career. I have 7+ yrs in consulting experience where I have worked as Data/Business Analyst. I have good experience in Insurance industry and worked with Actuarial, Claims and policy administration departments. I have passed Exam P and FM, and currently am preparing for Exam MFE. I also have experience in SAS, Alteryx and currently evaluating other modelling tools. What are the other things I can learn so that I can portray my interest in the actuarial career as serious and genuine and so that my resume will be looked into with curiosity.

I am attaching my resume, please be blunt and let me know where I can improve and what I can learn new and add more. If there are some new knowledge which I may acquire as I keep looking for change in career.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!!

Last edited by chatterjeesidd; 04-21-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 PM
CAS

Your resume is in a very non-traditional format, which is going to hurt you, especially at entry-level.

Please see my standard entry-level advice here - it's not geared towards career changers, but a lot of it should still apply:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=290037

Everything should be black. Get rid of the blue.

"Career summaries" or similar at the top of resumes are not recommended. Your resume IS a summary. If it's too long for someone to figure out the important parts of your career in 10 seconds of looking at it, then it's too long and you need to delete stuff.

The entire first page is a waste here. I waste 10 seconds of looking at this just trying to find the important sections of your resume. I know you may be trying to save the reader time by putting these "summary" things on the first page, but no one actually reads that fluff - instead, it's just taking me longer to get to the real sections, which annoys me, which automatically gives you negative points. Your "competencies" should be in the other sections of your resume, not in this section. Get rid of this "domain experience and knowledge" section - it's useless - any of your knowledge in these areas should be demonstrated by bullet points in individual other jobs.

Your sections should be Actuarial Exams, Experience, Education, Computer Skills. Order of Experience and Education is up to you - since you have worked experience, it's probably fine for Experience to come first, even though Education is more typically at the top for entry-level. Actuarial Exams comes first.

In your Actuarial Exams section (don't call it "trainings undergone and certifications acquired" - that's a bad section name), you can include VEEs. Don't put it in this chart. Look around this forum for some examples of how people normally list them. Don't include GMAT. Don't put "PASSED" in all caps. Include month and year (for both passed and sitting). Say "sitting" for MFE, not "preparing for." I have no idea what this IBM certification is - if it's a technical skill, put it in your computer skills section, otherwise get rid of it. If you include LOMA, put it in a separate "other" section of your resume at the bottom - don't draw attention away from your actuarial exams. (You can think of a better name than "other").

"Academic Qualifications" is a horrible section title - it should be "Education," otherwise the reader will have trouble finding it. You need to list your school name. If it's a US institution, include GPA, if not, ideally include some measure of how you did unless it looks really bad. Include the year you graduated if it's shortly before you began the programmer analyst job. (You can omit if you're significantly older than your work experience would imply.)

You don't need to say "professional" experience - "experience" is fine. Don't say "responsibilities and achievements" - just list bullets, it's assumed that they represent responsibilities and achievements. Consider putting dates on the right and putting job titles on a separate line from the company name. Does "tax collection" need to be capitalized? Start all bullets with a verb. Don't put "the net result of this.." bla bla - incorporate this piece of information into another bullet that starts with a verb. Do you need the comma in the "profiled data to understand" bullet?

The guidance counselor job is in a totally different format than your other jobs. The job title is in a different spot, the font is different, you have this random paragraph describing what the company is - you need to be consistent. Don't bother with the explanation paragraph. This job isn't the highlight of your resume - the business analyst positions are - so just explain some things you did in the bullet points and that's fine. It's clear from the bullet points already that it's a test prep place. Again, get rid of all this blue - I know you're trying to draw attention to important points, but really, if it's not an important point, you should take it off your resume. The only things left should be the important things.

You need to get it down to 2 pages at most, preferably 1 but since you have some work experience it might be okay to go to 1.5ish. Cut out all the extra unnecessary stuff and see how it's looking then.

Last edited by lllj; 04-21-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 PM
CAS

Also, if that's your real personal info - consider making an anonymized version to post here
Old 04-21-2015, 07:43 PM
CAS

also include an address so that it's clear you live in the US (assuming you live in the US)
Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

It's long.

Are you talking US?

I'd not bother with the labels on the email and phone.

I'd get rid of the summary. Other than the experience you mentioned, it's all soft BS-y stuff. Loading up the resume with filler is never a good idea, but it is especially bad to start with it when you've actually got real stuff you can be selling. If you keep anything, it would be the experience part, but if you lay out the resume well, that will be apparent later, anyway. If you keep it, don't leave out articles ("...in the Consulting..."), as they're short and add greatly to readability. And "venture into" has a kind of tentative sound to it.

I'm also not fond of competencies. And almost everything you list is not technically a competency (ie, "having worked"). By now, it already looks like a big blob of text that I am hestitating to read. That's awful early in the resume to be ready to get rid of it.

Actuarial exams are too important to be grouped with SAS, DB2, LOMA, and GMAT (which is neither a training, not certification). Actually, now that I think about it, none of them are training or certifications. Well, OK, techinically that's not true, either - the two LOMA exams give you a Level 1 Certificate, but that's no big deal. Most HS grad customer service reps where I work have that. The title of the section is awkward, the box looks bad, and mixing in all those various things, including stuff you're working on, hurts the section. Make an actuarial exam section, a computer skills section, and forget the rest.

I'm not fond of the domain stuff. For one thing, it makes you want to correlate against jobs, which is incredibly hard, as the jobs are nowhere near this. Second, I can't help but think that well-written job bullets should get the important parts of this clear without requiring another section.

There no need to label the lines in the computer skills section. It is either obvious or irrelevant, imo. You'd probably do better thinning this out to what is most relevant. Tools and Utilities seems like a vague distinction.

Dont use italics, as it is harder to read.

Education rather than Academic Qualifications. No need for the bullet. I'd go B.Tech. Was that some sort of general engineering degree or are you leaving off the area of engineering? It's OK if that's what it is, but it gives the impression of hiding something - especially as you already haven't included a year.

There is no reason whatsoever to repeated list "Responsibilities and Achievements". Achievements are what you want to list, not responsibilities, anyway.

With all the space you wasted, it seems weird to scrunch together company, date, and job title. I'd put the dates on the right margin, put the job title on a separate line.

"Coordinate" is a weak start to a bullet. It is so vague as to be meaningless. "Various" is never necessary, not helpful. You mean "country's".

"Streamlined" again is a weak start. It sounds vaguer than it turns out, as you read the rest of the bullet. If you can claim any kind of saving as a result of this streamlining, make that the point of the bullet.

Again, "worked with vendor" is a very weak start. Who you worked with doesn't matter, what you did does.

After reading all the AIG bullets, it is not clear what the context of this tax calculation is. That's part of the bigger picture.

None of the Traveler's bullets give a bigger picture, either. They're focused on data, but data per se isn't a big deal. Presumably the data was used for a reason.

As someone not familiar with India, my view of your IMS job went down the more I read. As you went on and on about IMS, I changed my view of what you did more to "tutor". You could simplify the whole thing and make it sound better with a simple "Taught math classes for graduate standardized exams". "Taught" is stronger than "conducted", btw. The rest is filler and can be removed. You're better off letting the reader focus on the other jobs than this one.

Axa bullets again give no context whatsoever for the work.

You're trying to get an insurance job. I don't get why you've eliminated all the insurance from the bullets.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Non-Actuary

lllj and vjvj have given some excellent advice. I wouldn't bother trying to squash everything onto 1 page - with 4 separate jobs it'll be pretty difficult. It's fine if it continues onto a second page.

Not about your résumé per se, but I noticed that you were unemployed for a year. Since you've had jobs since, I doubt it'll be an issue, but in case it comes up during an interview be prepared to explain the gap.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 AM

i didn't see attachment, did you remove? or is it just my comp skills? anyway, you got good advice above from some people who often do so. my observation from just your post is that you have a very good background for a career transition here. As an employer, my only concern would be what level and salary you would be comfortable with, which you should be prepared to answer in any interview setting

Tags
analyst, career changer, consulting