Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-21-2019, 11:22 AM
CAS

College: 4th year
Default Entry Level Resume Critique and Advice !!!

Hello,

I will be graduated this December and I will be looking for a full time Actuarial position soon. Please critique my resume and I'm really appreciated any advice you have. Thank you!

Last edited by hunterk; 07-02-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Old 06-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd not use such a wide range of font sizes. It's really not necessary and your small fonts seem very small and hard to read.

That's especially the case for the dates. Are those italics? I'd not use italics, as it is always harder to read.

I'm not a fan of the all-caps. As long as the rest is laid out ok, it isn't necessary.

I'd leave off the "and credits". I'd leave off the exam subjects. I'd make it more tabular - so, a column with "Exam FM", a fairly closely-spaced left-aligned column with "Passed" or "Sitting" (I'd avoid "completed" for exams). I'd not use bullets for the exams. For VEE, I'd use something like "Met requirements for VEE Finance and Economics" and leave off the date. As it is, it slows down the reader a bit to distinguish the VEE from the exams. I'd put the exams in chronological order.

I'm not a fan of the two columns. It completely stops the scanning of the resume just to figure out the format. You want the reader looking at content rather than format. Also, the short bold sections on the right, particularly tech skills and education, draw the attention there, which means its being drawn away from your experience. It takes effort to go back to the experience. I'm not sure if it would have been so bad if there weren't the black blocks on the LHS.

Yeah, the tech skills grabs your eye and doesn't let it go. It's interesting - all self-pronouncements about tech skills will be taken with a grain of salt, but those little dots seem to give it more weight. But they even make the skills section hard to read. They seem to pull your eyes away from the languages/apps. Good and bad. I'd leave off "MS".

Are the personal projects important enough that you want to take attention away from experience? Because of the two columns, the bullets become dense little blobs and make you want to not read them.

Be careful with plural vs singular - research, not researches, code, not codes.

I'd not use "side-hustle". Even the "business" seems distracting where it is. I guess my thought as I read it was "if this is really a business, why isn't it mentioned as a business". But I guess that is why the side-hustle is there. In any case, it again stopped my reading.

I'm not the biggest fan of the icons on the top of the resume, but the calendars in the rest seem over the top and unnecessary. And the location icons are worse.

Another thing that is bad about the two columns is that it doesn't allow you to put all the dates on the right margin, which would make it easier for the reader to see a timeline. It is difficult to do with this resume. Annoying the reader isn't a good idea.

I don't think the "(calculated as of Jun 2019)" is necessary. Any reasonable reader would assume it was as of the last semester, I'd think. Do you really need all those decimal places? It makes it harder to read the GPA.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 06-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Sensitivity shouldn't be capitalized. Should be models. There is no point in mentioning the 2020 rate setting process or to capitalize it. And "for various industries" adds no information and can be left off or you can list industries.

You use unnecessary caps a lot in the bullets.

OK, there's nothing wrong with all the "built" bullets. But you might want to consider whether you can make the bullets results-oriented.

I didn't notice right away that your act analyst job was at the same place as your internship. That made the analyst bullets odd because I'd seen the start date and my first thought was that's a lot of bullets for a month. And training someone in your first month seems funny.

That is explained once you get to the internship, but I think that you may be able to avoid the misunderstanding by combining the two sections.

Put the results first. It's better than "took the initiative".

"Participated in" is a very weak start.

You don't need any bullets for the TA.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 06-21-2019, 02:02 PM
CAS

College: 4th year

Wow. That is a lot of valuable feedback to take at a time. I will spend a good amount of time on your advice and try to implement that into my resume. Thank you very much Vjvj!