Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > University of Waterloo
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

University of Waterloo Mary Hardy - Professor
Ken Seng Tan - Professor / Advisor
http://www.stats.uwaterloo.ca

Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Who would you say were the best profs? And the worst?

I would say Prof Tan was a great prof, and Mary Hardy was actually very good at teaching the first half of the pension course when I was there. Wilmot was decent as well.

But I've also had some horrid profs. But since I never cared for them or there class, I never showed up, and hence don't know their names. lol.

I couldn't understand a word of some Professor Jun Cai? or Cai Jun? I don't remember. Only thing I'd understand is the numbers written on the blackboard, and tuned his talking out, because his broken english confused me further.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 AM
SOA

Studying for FETE Exam, FRM

The worst one? Reynolds

Prof Hardy and Prof Panjer are both good.

Didn't have the chance to be taught by Prof Tan and Prof Willmot, but I know both of them are good professors too.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:24 PM
SOA

Studying for CFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto_mathie View Post
I couldn't understand a word of some Professor Jun Cai? or Cai Jun? I don't remember. Only thing I'd understand is the numbers written on the blackboard, and tuned his talking out, because his broken english confused me further.
But his exams were easy! I got 90+ in his actsci 331 class and i dun think i would have made it if i were in Mary's class.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:50 PM

jun cai is the best. do you think its right?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Regardless if his exams were easy, where's the quality control that Waterloo was once known for? Old school prof's like Mary Hardy don't care if you get 55% if that's what you deserve. Thats the way it should be.

Waterloo grads used to get hired because it's supposed to be one of the most rigorous and advanced actuarial programs out there. By decreasing our standards and inflating marks via easy exams, I dont think Waterloo is getting the same credit from reputation as they used too. Now we are leaning towards hiring students from U of T and Western, where the students have to work hard to keep on par with Waterloo students in terms of actuarial exams. There programs aren't as good as Waterloo, but the students who push to learn the material on their own and graduate with 4 exams, show dedication and work ethic that we desire.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:12 PM

I have to say that all professors from the actuarial science department in Waterloo are excellent.

Prof. Hardy and Prof. Panjar are the best.

I also like Prof. Cai Jun's class even though his English is definitely not his first language. His teaching is well organized and his class helped me to pass course 3 in my first attempt.

One thing I didn't like about Prof. Wilmot is that his handwriting is difficult to recognize.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
SOA

Studying for CFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuppie101 View Post
Regardless if his exams were easy, where's the quality control that Waterloo was once known for? Old school prof's like Mary Hardy don't care if you get 55% if that's what you deserve. Thats the way it should be.

Waterloo grads used to get hired because it's supposed to be one of the most rigorous and advanced actuarial programs out there. By decreasing our standards and inflating marks via easy exams, I dont think Waterloo is getting the same credit from reputation as they used too. Now we are leaning towards hiring students from U of T and Western, where the students have to work hard to keep on par with Waterloo students in terms of actuarial exams. There programs aren't as good as Waterloo, but the students who push to learn the material on their own and graduate with 4 exams, show dedication and work ethic that we desire.
I don't agree with you. I have a bunch of friends studying actuarial science at U of T. They cover all the materials from SOA exam 1-4 too and they use study manual as their textbook. Waterloo goes much deeper than the exam content and I've learned lots of stuff that was not part of the SOA exam. Mary Hardy once said Waterloo was not an exam training center! Some of the final exams I wrote at Wateroo were much harder than SOA exams.

I'm not sure about Western.

Last edited by azn_to; 12-06-2007 at 12:59 PM..
Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 AM

I like Brown, I like how he explains hard concepts so easily.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Modules
College: Waterloo Alumni
Favorite beer: La Fin Du Monde

they all are good here are the best and why:

Hardy - always goes outside the box, relates the material to real life, also i found her verry funny. Below every formula she has a paragraph that is called "Intuition".

Tan - he is very well prepared for lectures (i.e has slides that you print out - i find it great since i can concentrate better). Also gives tons of examples from real life.

Last edited by Saniokca; 10-26-2008 at 12:35 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM

There are more than 2 profs at UW