Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-03-2002, 01:03 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

The one that gets on my nerves is the one that starts of with a younger African American woman and an older European American man who get to a taxi at the same time. She rudely tells him 'hey, that's my cab' though they clearly get there at the same time. That is the first thing that annoys me about this commercial.

Unfortunately, they work out their differences and share a cab. Then we are treated to seeing her learn that he is a fidelity rep of some sort or another (I think it's fidelity anyway; maybe it was principal?) and how he can save her all sorts of time by rolling over her 401(k)money into the investment vehicle of her choice. Like that's breaking new ground or something. I mean this woman appears educated, so you would think she knew she could roll over her money. So that is the second thing that is annoying.

But the topper is at the end when she says 'my life down to a single sheet of paper.' Can someone out there please tell me how rolling over your 401(k) gets your life down to a single sheet of paper!! It's the most inane thing I've ever heard.

I had to get that of my chest. I haven't seen this commercial in a while so please don't lambast me if I got some of the details wrong.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone in this forum was similarly annoyed by this commercial, or maybe another one??
Old 01-03-2002, 01:35 PM

Location: This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me.
Favorite beer: Grizzly. No, wait - polar bears.

I think it's a good commercial.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:37 PM

My two least favorite commericials are the Kit Kat commericial where they sing, "Give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar." and the Long John Silver commercial where they sing, "The shrimp boats are on the way, there coming into the bay. La, la, la . . .". I haven't seen either for quite a long time, but I hate them due to there jingles - both are very annoying and tend to get stuck in my head.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:44 PM

I'm always more fascinated by local commercials "made by the owners". Family Car dealerships, cheap suits stores, etc. It's just like watching a car wreck but sometimes, even though the medium has its flaws it works. The slogan sticks in your brain, the catchphrase comes to you in common conversation, the trashy jingle is under your skin.

Almost anyone listening to the radio in LA has heard the sentence "You're killing me Larry!" more than once.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:55 PM

There is a local auto dealer who exclusively uses computer graphics in its commercials. They show a computer generated showroom, computer generated cars, etc. At the very end of the commercial the "camera" pulls back to show you where they are located at the intersections of this and that highways, and there, in the "shot" is a volcano! We do not have any volcanos in my neighborhood.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:58 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Three words for anyone in the RI / nearby Mass. area: Ni - Ro - Pe
Old 01-03-2002, 02:02 PM

Never seen that Fidelity commercial.

The one that really bothers me is for some XTREME video tape you can order for 19.95 + s&h. The commercial shows all sorts of clips from the video, like somebody's arm snapping during an arm-wrestling match and some guy biting it big time when he falls off his skateboard. Then they show some close-ups of people showing off their wounds from their extreme activities.

I'm sure there are plenty of adults who do not appreciate being bombarded with such images while innocently watching some stand-up on Comedy Central. But I really am concerned about little kids that might happen across it and end up with nightmares or other stress from the truly revolting things they are seeing. It goes way beyond the gory life-like violence in some video game commercials. Ugh!
Old 01-03-2002, 02:21 PM
SOA AAA

I just saw that Fidelity commercial a couple of nights ago. I hadn't seen it in a while and was hoping it was gone. It is annoying. But at least the black woman was portrayed as having a job. As much as people complain about living in a world that is "soooo PC", it's amazing how white TV commercials still are.

It's even sadder when they try to be diverse. My favorite is a commercial for some hotel chain. A businessman is staying there and preparing for a big presentation the next morning. The commercial shows all the hotel staff pumping him up and cheering him on for the big job. Several races and ethnicities are shown. But they're all employees. Of course the white guy is the business man. Then you have the black maintenance guy, the asian housekeeper, the latino desk clerk. It's ridiculous. Especially when the housekeeper says "Yew da man!". Arghhh!
Old 01-03-2002, 02:24 PM

<font size=2>I agree with TDA about the Fidelity commercial. It's like if someone made a car commercial that said, "You know, if you buy a CAR, you could drive it to lots of places, like WORK!" And someone else in the commercial gets all excited and says, "REALLY?!? What if I want to buy groceries? Can I use this 'CAR' to go to the grocery store?" "Why, yes! In fact, with a 'CAR', you could even buy more than a few bags, because most 'CARs' come with a special feature called a 'TRUNK'!" "Wow, thank you Mr. Car Salesman! I'll buy one right away!"

Old 01-03-2002, 02:27 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
On 2002-01-03 12:35, Griffin wrote:
I think it's a good commercial.
I had a feeling you would.