Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Group & Health Core Exam Old Group & Health Design & Pricing Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 11:28 AM
SOA

College: UTD Alumni
Favorite beer: Martin House Pretzel Stout

Scored a 10! I've now received every possible passing score.

I used Anki to do the MATE flash cards and added a few of my own during my studying. I recommend it as it spaces them out in such a way that maximizes retention. I also did a lot of practice problems.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM
SOA AAA

College: University of Texas at Austin alumnus

Six for me is just fine! I did not use Anki for the flashcards, but am planning to for my other FSA exams. Flashcard memorization was by far the weakest part of my preparation for the fall sitting.

FSA Requirements
Modules: FE | ERM | PRF
Exams: GHCU | GHA | GHS
Other: DMAC
Old 01-14-2019, 12:30 PM
SOA

Failed, first attempt, got the dreaded 5. I used MATE and the crystal core problems.

Feeling both deflated at being that close and somewhat optimistic about next sitting (more so deflated). Considering biting the bullet and doing TIA. Feel like while I was close I don't want to risk failing this on the second attempt. Having some trouble justifying the price as I'm on the hook for this one, my company won't shell out for it. Seems like a lot of people have used it successfully though. Someone push me me over the edge here...
Old 01-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Studying for no more
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Mickey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post
5 last time. 7 this time.

Honestly, I had no idea what score to expect.

I memorized all the MATE flashcards and went into the exam feeling like a million bucks. Has anyone ever memorized all of the notecards and failed?

By memorize I mean I was able to look at the front of each card and write down at least 75% of the back of each card
I was originally told to "just memorize the notecards" and I'd be fine. I don't know if something changed from when I heard that to the time I started taking the exams, but I feel like 100% notecard knowledge gets you on average a 5. You need to be able to answer an oddball question or two on the fly to get over the hump in my experience.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM
SOA

College: Purdue Alumni

Got that 5. Memorized ALL the MATE flash cards (Used Anki), went to a seminar (Denver) and did a bunch of problems (but not CC). I felt pretty confident going in but to no avail.

Deciding if I want to spend any more months of my life on exams. I wasn't meant to live like this.

Last edited by RudyRudyRudy; 01-15-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H Core
Favorite beer: Yuengling

I failed, which wasn't a surprise, but with a higher score than I expected. So I agree with those who suspect the pass mark was on the generous side this time.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 PM

Late to responding but I passed with a 6. Considering I'm in my late 30s, married and with two younger kids (4 and 1), I'll take it. I used nothing but the TIA seminar. Only did the questions in the seminar and their practice exams (which I didn't do as practice exams but just problems - I didn't actually do a single practice exam). What makes it more interesting is I haven't taken an exam in 4 years. Stopped at my ASA but was talked into trying it again. Thought for sure I failed. Guess I'm now committed.