Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Design and Accounting Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Design and Accounting Exam Old Retirement Company/Sponsor Perspective (nation-specific) Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 PM
SOA

Studying for Design and Accounting
College: The University of Texas at Austin
Favorite beer: Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taketwo View Post
Changing subject, does anyone know if your results by question automatically appear on your transcript or if you have to ask for them? For the life of me I can't find anything about it on the SOA website.
They'll appear on your transcript at the end of this week (only if you failed, I believe).
Economics Finance Statistics
Old 01-15-2019, 01:06 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Social Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCobb View Post
Woohoo, that must be an awesome feeling of relief!

I took a similar approach with RPIRM towards the end. I started out memorizing the QBS, then added context by reading the summaries. If I didn't quite understand a topic or thought the summary was a little too high level, I read the source text. I also read the source text for all the new stuff that had been added to the syllabus and the commonly tested items.

I ended up purchasing the PAK Exam Aid and Test Aid about a month out because the Edge didn't have any practice questions on Key Rate Duration, which was new to the syllabus for Fall 2017/Spring 2018 and hadn't been tested in the Fall 2017 sitting. Sure enough, there was a KRD question in the Spring 2018 sitting, but I was ready for it!

I'm taking a different approach with RETDAU - doing the readings first, then QBS. Hopefully it works out. There's so much material!

Looking for some input on what materials are recommended for the RPIRM exam - I feel like people haven't really responded on the RPIRM thread. I really struggled with RETDAU, so I'm trying to do a better job of planning out the study materials I'll need to hopefully pass PRIRM on the first try (fingers crossed). Did anyone use both PAK and Edge? Is there on that is preferred over the other?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for RETDAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASABound View Post
Looking for some input on what materials are recommended for the RPIRM exam - I feel like people haven't really responded on the RPIRM thread. I really struggled with RETDAU, so I'm trying to do a better job of planning out the study materials I'll need to hopefully pass PRIRM on the first try (fingers crossed). Did anyone use both PAK and Edge? Is there on that is preferred over the other?
I summarized what I used for RPIRM last August in the Spring 2018 thread, but it basically says the same thing I posted above.

To add some more commentary...

I chose the Edge manual over the PAK manual because the Edge offered a printed version, whereas PAK was fully electronic (I think you can print it on your own though?)

I also primarily used the Edge manual since it's essentially the only choice for DA. I figured I'd use it for RPIRM and get used to the format. There are Actex and EtchedActuarial manuals available for DA, but I haven't heard of anyone using them.

If you'd prefer printed, you don't want to print yourself, and $ isn't necessarily a factor, maybe consider Edge. The digital manual is more expensive than PAK and then it's an additional $199 for the printed version. It includes supplementary videos too, which can be helpful if you learn better by hearing someone else explain the material, rather than just reading it yourself.

If you don't mind electronic or are fine printing yourself, and would like to save some $, maybe consider PAK. There are some good samples of the PAK study materials available that you can check out before purchasing. One advantage of Bell's PAK stuff is that the manual, condensed summaries, flashcards, exam aid, and test aid are all available for separate purchase, or you can get the whole exam package. I believe Bell is located in Cairo, so if you email him questions, keep in mind he's in a different time zone.

I also purchased Shakeela's Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet, which helped me prioritize readings and determine which source test to read vs rely just on the manual summary.

Last edited by CrispyCobb; 01-15-2019 at 01:55 PM..
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 AM
SOA

Studying for DA Exam
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer

This proformance breakdown is interesting. Really thought I did better on some of these questions. Didn't get any zeros but did end up with five ones. Also got a couple of 10s and the rest were a scatter plot around 6. Looking forward to seeing the solutions to see why I was so far off on those five questions.

Looks like I failed bacause of the two international questions, the afternoon accounting question, and question 13. At least I have some direction and I'm feeling good about my chagnes in May.

Last edited by Prob4Fun; 01-18-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Old 01-18-2019, 05:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
This proformance breakdown is interesting. Really thought I did better on some of these questions. Didn't get any zeros but did end up with five ones. Also got a couple of 10s and the rest were a scatter plot around 6. Looking forward to seeing the solutions to see why I was so far off on those five questions.

Looks like I failed bacause of the two international questions, the afternoon accounting question, and question 13. At least I have some direction and I'm feeling good about my chagnes in May.
My performance is pretty similar to yours, a couple of 10s and 9s and 5 1s or 2s, which I found very interesting as well. I don't think I did poorly on all of them unless I missed something. Will see the solutions.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:08 PM
SOA

Studying for Design and Accounting
College: The University of Texas at Austin
Favorite beer: Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA

Anybody on here who did well on that afternoon accounting question? Seems like everyone I've talked to did bad on that one.
Economics Finance Statistics
Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by branillionaire View Post
Anybody on here who did well on that afternoon accounting question? Seems like everyone I've talked to did bad on that one.
I certainly didn't do good on it. I think the main trick was that since it is non-qualified, the benefit payments count as contributions. I got that part right when I was doing the exam, but certainly didn't handle the curtailment correctly. Of course about 1 day later it came clearly in my mind how to do it. I would be surprised if I got more than 2 or 3 points on that one, out of 10. And I got a 7 on the exam overall.