Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Pricing, Reserving & Forecasting
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 PM
maf5380 maf5380 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Anyone working on this? Please PM to collaborate.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2018, 05:04 PM
jwitt25 jwitt25 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
College: University of Wisconsin
Posts: 133
Default

Did anyone include the incurred claims expense in the basic projection?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Josh Josh is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
College: University of Wisconsin-Madison Alumni
Favorite beer: Lakefront Eastside Dark
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt25 View Post
Did anyone include the incurred claims expense in the basic projection?
There didn't seem to be an obvious bucket to include this in since the other ones were clearly labeled "claims" and "maintenance" and "acquisition". Did you end up ignoring incurred claims expense?
__________________
ASA CERA
ERM GH-CORE GH-ADV
PRF ERM DMAC FE
FAC
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2018, 03:47 PM
TomHaverford's Avatar
TomHaverford TomHaverford is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Favorite beer: PBR
Posts: 5,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
There didn't seem to be an obvious bucket to include this in since the other ones were clearly labeled "claims" and "maintenance" and "acquisition". Did you end up ignoring incurred claims expense?
i included this expense. i just added a column for the claims expense and took the claims multiplied by the 4% expense factor. i wound up with a profit margin of 12.3% compared to the 14.7% profit margin if ignoring them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 PM
aghare aghare is offline
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 12
Default

Hi, I'd like to refresh this post to see if anyone is currently working on the LTC exercise.

I'm having trouble calculating the total termination rates as well as the claim costs. On the total terminations, the spreadsheet states "assume impact of lapse and mortality is multiplicative", but then I get termination rates that are less than 10% the first year, which doesn't seem right to me. I've never worked in the LTC space, so I feel like I'm missing something here.

Also, how do we utilize the "multiplier" cell in tabs "Claim Costs" and "Policy Terminations"?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Modigliani-Miller Modigliani-Miller is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghare View Post
Hi, I'd like to refresh this post to see if anyone is currently working on the LTC exercise.

I'm having trouble calculating the total termination rates as well as the claim costs. On the total terminations, the spreadsheet states "assume impact of lapse and mortality is multiplicative", but then I get termination rates that are less than 10% the first year, which doesn't seem right to me. I've never worked in the LTC space, so I feel like I'm missing something here.

Also, how do we utilize the "multiplier" cell in tabs "Claim Costs" and "Policy Terminations"?
I also got 1st year termination rate less than 10%.

The multiplier is for sensitivity testing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2019, 10:11 PM
imareal1 imareal1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 261
Default

Basic question on the 2012 Individual Annuitant Mortality table. I'm looking at a PDF, is there an excel file somewhere or are we manually inputting 120 qx values?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 AM
karenyoung karenyoung is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Irvine, California
Studying for FAP Final Assessment
College: UCLA
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modigliani-Miller View Post
I also got 1st year termination rate less than 10%.

The multiplier is for sensitivity testing.
How are you guys calculating the termination rates? These were hard-coded in the sample case study from the module.
__________________
ASA

Exams: D&P | F&V | Specialty

Modules: Health Economics | Health Foundations | Pric, Resv, Forec

DMAC

FAC
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-13-2019, 09:51 PM
imareal1 imareal1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 261
Default

What are they asking for for "inforce"?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:48 AM
BMD07 BMD07 is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
College: Clemson Alumni
Posts: 3
Default

Anyone working on this?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.21065 seconds with 9 queries