Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #191  
Old 09-14-2018, 11:41 AM
karenyoung karenyoung is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Irvine, California
Studying for FAP Final Assessment
College: UCLA
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyorky2428 View Post
The problem is only concerned if it has to pay the insurance out, which is triggered by being in state 1 for a year. It doesn’t care if the person dies (State 2) after receiving the benefit
That makes sense, the problem wording was new to me so I had trouble interpreting it. Thanks so much!
__________________
ASA

Exams: D&P | F&V | Specialty

Modules: Health Economics | Health Foundations | Pric, Resv, Forec

DMAC

FAC
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM
karenyoung karenyoung is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Irvine, California
Studying for FAP Final Assessment
College: UCLA
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceBrah View Post
What are these released questions? Are they different than the Past Exams which are organized by sitting dates?
I'm working on the 165 LTAM sample MC questions released July 24, 2018. According to the document, they are organized by "the SOA's recommended resources for this exam." Not sure if that answers your question.
__________________
ASA

Exams: D&P | F&V | Specialty

Modules: Health Economics | Health Foundations | Pric, Resv, Forec

DMAC

FAC
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 09-14-2018, 01:45 PM
gaudettj's Avatar
gaudettj gaudettj is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Canada
Studying for FAP / C
Favorite beer: All of the Above
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenyoung View Post
I'm working on the 165 LTAM sample MC questions released July 24, 2018. According to the document, they are organized by "the SOA's recommended resources for this exam." Not sure if that answers your question.
I've been working through these as well. I'm about 1/3 of the way through. So far they're VERY good practice. Seems like the most difficult part of most questions is the setup. Of course there's always tricks , but if you know you're stuff, they're really not that tricky. Tbh so far they seem way less tricky than the sample questions from the other prelims because there's so much going on conceptually it's already challenging enough.
__________________
________________________
VEE's P FM IFM SRM LTAM APC PA FAP:IA/FA March STAM June
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 09-15-2018, 01:45 PM
KarimZ's Avatar
KarimZ KarimZ is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pakistan
College: Graduate, Bsc Accounting and Finance
Posts: 207
Default

Do contingent probabilities/insurance show up on the exam frequently? By far the most confusing topic.
__________________
P FM MFE C LTAM PA

VEEs

FAP

APC

Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 09-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

If it is confusing, expect it.


The older actuaries passed the exams when they were easy and all voted to make them hard as hell now. Confusing topics rarely showed up on the exams in the past, but now have become favorite staples.


Great way to pull the ladder up after they climbed them.

Last edited by Liar; 09-15-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
I've been working through these as well. I'm about 1/3 of the way through. So far they're VERY good practice. Seems like the most difficult part of most questions is the setup. Of course there's always tricks , but if you know you're stuff, they're really not that tricky. Tbh so far they seem way less tricky than the sample questions from the other prelims because there's so much going on conceptually it's already challenging enough.
How do you know if the questions are intentionally fake questions to throw candidates off with harder questions on the real exam?

Rumors in the actuarial circle are that the SOA is worried about declining exam takers and are looking to fail as many people as possible.

A ~20% pass rate for LTAM and STAM don't seem impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 09-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Colymbosathon ecplecticos's Avatar
Colymbosathon ecplecticos Colymbosathon ecplecticos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
How do you know if the questions are intentionally fake questions to throw candidates off with harder questions on the real exam?

Rumors in the actuarial circle are that the SOA is worried about declining exam takers and are looking to fail as many people as possible.

A ~20% pass rate for LTAM and STAM don't seem impossible.
Please don't troll in the professional sections. Also, work on your subject-verb agreement.
__________________
"What do you mean I don't have the prerequisites for this class? I've failed it twice before!"


"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

"I understand health care now especially very well."
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 09-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Please don't troll in the professional sections. Also, work on your subject-verb agreement.
I am not trolling.

The older actuaries are trying to screw everyone over. I wonder how many of them would be able to pass even P now.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM
ao fan's Avatar
ao fan ao fan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hating the ao
Studying for EA-2L
Posts: 109,446
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I am not trolling.

The older actuaries are trying to screw everyone over. I wonder how many of them would be able to pass even P now.
poor chad
__________________
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by cuteness!!!!
Spoiler:
awesome, crazy, badass maltese (compliments of booger):
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 09-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 311
Default

I've done the first ~15 problems in the LTAM 165 and these look like ADAPT EL 2-2.5 questions.

I'm going to try to complete them by Monday - Tuesday before I let you guys know how I feel about them, but from the looks of the first ones I've done, I think these problems are too easy and are not comparable to recent exam problems.

Recent exam problems are closer to EL 7-8. LTAM may be closer to EL 9-10 because the SOA is making the exam harder.

Also, the written answer questions would be around EL 20 for the 2017 and 2018 exams if ADAPT incorporated written answers into their system. I think LTAM written answers will be around EL 30-40.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.38145 seconds with 9 queries