Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 09-14-2018, 11:41 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP Final Assessment
College: UCLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyorky2428 View Post
The problem is only concerned if it has to pay the insurance out, which is triggered by being in state 1 for a year. It doesn’t care if the person dies (State 2) after receiving the benefit
That makes sense, the problem wording was new to me so I had trouble interpreting it. Thanks so much!

Exams: D&P | F&V | Specialty

Modules: Health Economics | Health Foundations | Pric, Resv, Forec

DMAC

FAC
Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP Final Assessment
College: UCLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceBrah View Post
What are these released questions? Are they different than the Past Exams which are organized by sitting dates?
I'm working on the 165 LTAM sample MC questions released July 24, 2018. According to the document, they are organized by "the SOA's recommended resources for this exam." Not sure if that answers your question.

Exams: D&P | F&V | Specialty

Modules: Health Economics | Health Foundations | Pric, Resv, Forec

DMAC

FAC
Old 09-14-2018, 01:45 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP / C
Favorite beer: All of the Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenyoung View Post
I'm working on the 165 LTAM sample MC questions released July 24, 2018. According to the document, they are organized by "the SOA's recommended resources for this exam." Not sure if that answers your question.
I've been working through these as well. I'm about 1/3 of the way through. So far they're VERY good practice. Seems like the most difficult part of most questions is the setup. Of course there's always tricks , but if you know you're stuff, they're really not that tricky. Tbh so far they seem way less tricky than the sample questions from the other prelims because there's so much going on conceptually it's already challenging enough.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:45 PM
SOA

College: Graduate, Bsc Accounting and Finance

Do contingent probabilities/insurance show up on the exam frequently? By far the most confusing topic.

VEEs

FAP

APC

Old 09-15-2018, 02:02 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

If it is confusing, expect it.

The older actuaries passed the exams when they were easy and all voted to make them hard as hell now. Confusing topics rarely showed up on the exams in the past, but now have become favorite staples.

Great way to pull the ladder up after they climbed them.

Last edited by Liar; 09-15-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
I've been working through these as well. I'm about 1/3 of the way through. So far they're VERY good practice. Seems like the most difficult part of most questions is the setup. Of course there's always tricks , but if you know you're stuff, they're really not that tricky. Tbh so far they seem way less tricky than the sample questions from the other prelims because there's so much going on conceptually it's already challenging enough.
How do you know if the questions are intentionally fake questions to throw candidates off with harder questions on the real exam?

Rumors in the actuarial circle are that the SOA is worried about declining exam takers and are looking to fail as many people as possible.

A ~20% pass rate for LTAM and STAM don't seem impossible.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
How do you know if the questions are intentionally fake questions to throw candidates off with harder questions on the real exam?

Rumors in the actuarial circle are that the SOA is worried about declining exam takers and are looking to fail as many people as possible.

A ~20% pass rate for LTAM and STAM don't seem impossible.
Please don't troll in the professional sections. Also, work on your subject-verb agreement.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

"I understand health care now especially very well."
Old 09-15-2018, 02:39 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Please don't troll in the professional sections. Also, work on your subject-verb agreement.
I am not trolling.

The older actuaries are trying to screw everyone over. I wonder how many of them would be able to pass even P now.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I am not trolling.

The older actuaries are trying to screw everyone over. I wonder how many of them would be able to pass even P now.
poor chad
Spoiler:
Old 09-15-2018, 04:28 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

I've done the first ~15 problems in the LTAM 165 and these look like ADAPT EL 2-2.5 questions.

I'm going to try to complete them by Monday - Tuesday before I let you guys know how I feel about them, but from the looks of the first ones I've done, I think these problems are too easy and are not comparable to recent exam problems.

Recent exam problems are closer to EL 7-8. LTAM may be closer to EL 9-10 because the SOA is making the exam harder.

Also, the written answer questions would be around EL 20 for the 2017 and 2018 exams if ADAPT incorporated written answers into their system. I think LTAM written answers will be around EL 30-40.