Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
What a day. Summary?
OP posts the long awaited revelations - long and confusing
AO summarises - more coherent order of events and questions info missing
Lots of other questions from all
OP and new friend AT question everyone's sanity
OP and AT criticise questioning - get the irony?
Everyone falls out - and no conclusions drawn.

If this claim has reached its conclusion then what was the result? What happened to the marks breakdown? did they get lost? Is the claimant now able to retire a millionaire?

If it hasn't, then is it wise publishing the document whilst the claim is being considered - or does that not matter as not in a court?

What does AO stand for?

Enjoy the soccer!!
M
The thing is, I can think of legitimate reasons why CA3 and SA2 would have different amounts of data held by the IFoA. This may or may not be right, and may or may not explain the claimants situation. But as AT seems unwilling to engage in any sensible discussion on any of this that pretty much kills it.

Sorry OP, find better friends if you want any support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:57 AM

Read the first post and thought “I bet this has something to do with almost_there”. A few pages later, almost_there shows up. Is almost_there the claimant?

Edit: almost_there has a long history of posting on the “acted” forums (UK Actuarial education company). He has spent years complaining that he is being discriminated against because he can’t pass certain exams. If he spent as much time studying as he spent complaining he would be a fellow by now. I recommend reading his post history on Acted.co.uk

One such exam is “Communications”, which previously involved an oral presentation and a written report. Despite almost_there’s claims that he is an excellent communicator, he has been unable to pass the exams. A couple of posters have offered to take a look at some of his examples of presentations/written reports to offer unbiased constructive feedback, but he refuses to accept the help, preferring to continue to complain that the assessment is flawed and not him.

Last edited by IroningBoard; 06-22-2018 at 06:03 AM..
Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
The thing is, I can think of legitimate reasons why CA3 and SA2 would have different amounts of data held by the IFoA. This may or may not be right, and may or may not explain the claimants situation. But as AT seems unwilling to engage in any sensible discussion on any of this that pretty much kills it.
You talk a lot but don't appear to know your own profession's exam process: two independent markers for exams. Final mark compared to pass mark to determine pass or fail grade.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:18 AM

Ironing board makes unsubstantiated and false allegations. For some reason his focus is not on why his own professional body failed to carry out their complaints process, why their CEO and Head of Assessment refused to answer questions about it, suppressed information from the Claimant, then threatened him with disciplinary and costs for taking the complaint further.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
The thing is, I can think of legitimate reasons why CA3 and SA2 would have different amounts of data held by the IFoA.
Can you think why the IFoA would have "nothing to send him" under a SAR or otherwise as requested, for the candidate's SA2 exam 3 days after the exam result, bearing in mind that's within the 10 day window for allowing people to make exam appeals?
Old 06-22-2018, 06:59 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
What makes you think anyone wants you to rewrite the claim particulars? It's all there for people to read. You wanted to see more and there it is. Let people make their own minds up.
Most of the readers of this board are based in North America and are not interested enough in internal UK affairs to plow through the lengthy and disorganized documents you provided.

I certainly appreciate gargoyle's attempt to describe the situation more clearly and succinctly.

Quote:
Are you stating IFoA didn't have marks for anyone for that exam- where's your evidence of that please.
I don't know the procedures of the IFoA, but think the burden is on the complainant to demonstrate that they do.

Quote:
See. This is the sort of thing that needs expansion. Under whose interpretation of the DPA are exam results legally required to be disclosed?
Quote:
Information Commissioner's Office. Will that do for you?
No. Again, I would be very interested in a cogent and succinct interpretation of the law, preferably pointing to specific language in the law and relating it to the question at hand.

Quote:
I thought actuaries would be capable of googling...
Actuaries are busy people, and don't want to spend hours reading a law and guessing how you think it applies in this case.

Why not say, "in section xyz of the law, [link], is says '--------------'. This means that '------------------' in this particular case given the particular specifics of the situation.

Quote:
Can you think why the IFoA would have "nothing to send him" under a SAR or otherwise as requested, for the candidate's SA2 exam 3 days after the exam result, bearing in mind that's within the 10 day window for allowing people to make exam appeals?
Are all temporary files that are calculated by any system something that is required to be shared under Data Protection Act? Because that seems to be your claim. I am not an expert in the DPA. Neither are most people on this board. It would be very helpful to your case if you could spell these details out, ideally referring to actual language in the DPA.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:09 AM

Pepperming patsy you aren't doing the reputation of actuarial professionals any service with that post, justifying ignorance and laziness and wanting everything spoon fed to you, yet somehow finding plenty to say despite the admitted ignorance on the matter in hand.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I don't know the procedures of the IFoA, but think the burden is on the complainant to demonstrate that they do.
That's a prime example of a non-thinking comment, given that it has already been explained how a grade is determined - comparing marks with pass mark -
and the "nothing to send him" comment made 3 days after the exam result within the 10 day window for making exam appeals.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:19 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Because the exam marking process is run by an independent party, who provide non identifiable feedback to the IFoA giving, say, "paper reference" and "outcome" which the IFoA then matches back to the candidates ARN?

This would mean the IFoA does not hold "personal data" containing the exam mark.

This could be different for CA3 due to the different exam process which involved candidates giving a presentation which (I think) was videoed

I'm spitballing here, I don't know the truth, but the above feels plausible to me. Back to you to provide evidence. I won't hold my breath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Because the exam marking process is run by an independent party, who provide non identifiable feedback to the IFoA giving, say, "paper reference" and "outcome" which the IFoA then matches back to the candidates ARN?
False. Utilising the terminology of the Data Protection Act the examiners for the IFoA are data processors on behalf of the data controllers who are the IFoA. Under section 7 of the DPA the data controller must provide all information it controls, which includes that of its data processors.
Closed Thread

Tags
acted, britain, ehrc, ifoa, racism, victimisation