Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #24481  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 PM
dancran1220's Avatar
dancran1220 dancran1220 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I'm discovering that I would also benefit from some dedicated training as opposed to just playing games. I have a couple evenings free next week, so I might try to spend some time doing that and drinking beer.
Best way to do it is 10-15 min (longer if you want) before playing online matches IMO. That way you get some routine going plus get a decent warm up before diving in.

Also, focusing on the right things in training will go a long way.

I came across this YouTube playlist last month which I highly recommend for anyone below Champ (even low Champ). It does a good job highlighting the right mentality and progression to aim for with the various skills.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aDiJigkmYPH6JR

Last edited by dancran1220; 03-27-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24482  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 AM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,439
Default

I’m a little over half way through DMC5 by mission count. Thoughts so far:
Nero still sucks
V is awesome to play as
Dante still cool
Story has me interested
No way am I gonna platinum. One trophy is S rank every mission on every difficulty (except Heaven or Hell).
Reply With Quote
  #24483  
Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Fat Ninja's Avatar
Fat Ninja Fat Ninja is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Studying for FSA
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Best way to do it is 10-15 min (longer if you want) before playing online matches IMO. That way you get some routine going plus get a decent warm up before diving in.

Also, focusing on the right things in training will go a long way.

I came across this YouTube playlist last month which I highly recommend for anyone below Champ (even low Champ). It does a good job highlighting the right mentality and progression to aim for with the various skills.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aDiJigkmYPH6JR
Also look up Bakkes mod, it's easy to set up (just downloading and running a program). And it makes improvements to training packs (can skip between shots using the d-pad), introduces variability in the trajectory of the ball and will mirror shots randomly. It also adds some cool stuff to practice with in free training.
Reply With Quote
  #24484  
Old 03-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
Turd Ferguson Turd Ferguson is offline
It's a funny name.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,737
Default

I'm on PS4, so I don't think I can do mods (correct me if I'm wrong).

I watched the playlist last night. Lots of really good stuff there that I will try to work on. I will readily admit that ALL aspects of my game need significant work, but that being said:

1)Power hits - I think I do these very well for my level. In fact, I would say my current style is probably weighted way too heavily towards boomers, not enough finesse. But, I will try harder to time the hit for just after the bounce, and Lord knows I need to work on aiming where I hit the ball.
2)Wall play - Again, I think I am decent at this for my level. I have definitely popped the ball off the wall to my opponent in the middle of the field for an easy goal a few times, so again I think I need to work on deliberate hits and not just "yay, I hit the ball"
3)Fast Aerials - I honestly didn't know this was a thing. So yeah, I need to work on it along with all of my other aerial skills, which are currently abysmal.
4)Dribbling - Probably where I need the most help. After watching these videos, it dawned on me that my style is very much "hit the ball as hard as I can every time and hope that it goes in the net some times". I really liked the idea of playing the aerials tutorial and trying to catch the ball on my hood and dribble from there (I think that was this video). Will definitely be working on my dribbling/flicking skills
5)Half flips - I knew these existed from watching YouTube and have tried to do them with varying success. Having the mechanics explained like I'm a 5-year old was helpful, and I think I should be able to pick this up relatively quickly. Generally, I'm bad at using air roll to make sure I land quick and get back in play. Will work on that.
__________________
Suck it, Trebek
Reply With Quote
  #24485  
Old 03-29-2019, 03:15 PM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,439
Default

I just got 3 free months of Nintendo Online tacked on to my year, by claiming it as twitch prime loot. Apparently, in 60 days, I can claim another free 9 months.

If you have Amazon Prime, you have Twitch Prime!
Reply With Quote
  #24486  
Old 03-29-2019, 04:39 PM
dancran1220's Avatar
dancran1220 dancran1220 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I'm on PS4, so I don't think I can do mods (correct me if I'm wrong).

I watched the playlist last night. Lots of really good stuff there that I will try to work on. I will readily admit that ALL aspects of my game need significant work, but that being said:

1)Power hits - I think I do these very well for my level. In fact, I would say my current style is probably weighted way too heavily towards boomers, not enough finesse. But, I will try harder to time the hit for just after the bounce, and Lord knows I need to work on aiming where I hit the ball.
2)Wall play - Again, I think I am decent at this for my level. I have definitely popped the ball off the wall to my opponent in the middle of the field for an easy goal a few times, so again I think I need to work on deliberate hits and not just "yay, I hit the ball"
3)Fast Aerials - I honestly didn't know this was a thing. So yeah, I need to work on it along with all of my other aerial skills, which are currently abysmal.
4)Dribbling - Probably where I need the most help. After watching these videos, it dawned on me that my style is very much "hit the ball as hard as I can every time and hope that it goes in the net some times". I really liked the idea of playing the aerials tutorial and trying to catch the ball on my hood and dribble from there (I think that was this video). Will definitely be working on my dribbling/flicking skills
5)Half flips - I knew these existed from watching YouTube and have tried to do them with varying success. Having the mechanics explained like I'm a 5-year old was helpful, and I think I should be able to pick this up relatively quickly. Generally, I'm bad at using air roll to make sure I land quick and get back in play. Will work on that.
Just remember that Rocket League at a reduced down and fundamental level simply takes time. Number of hours played is a very strong indicator for skill level in Rocket League as compared to some other games IMO. Main thing is do what is fun for you. If you enjoy practicing mechanics, then by all means go for it. It will pay off in the longer run. If you just prefer to hop on and play, that is 100% fine, some things will improve naturally and you can take it where you want to take it in terms of goals for improvement.

If you really want to accelerate your improvement, then playing with people a league or two above you on a semi regular basis will go a long ways to showing you what is needed to reach that next step. For instance if you had a buddy in gold right now and you played with them and saw how much faster players jumped for balls in the air, it can help adjust you to the pace of play and understand whether it is your ball to go for or your teammates. Things like that will help build the decision making process faster while showing you what mechanics will be necessary. In bronze rank you will have so much time to process the ball movement and be patient for it to come to you, but that will constantly be pushed the higher and higher you go.

I rarely, rarely practiced mechanics exclusively during my beginning couple hundred hours. Eventually that caught up with me and I had to devote some significant time to training specific mechanics in order to improve further. But that is a long way away for you. That video playlist does a good jump laying the foundations for what to focus on. As you alluded to, recoveries (ie: landing on your wheels whether it be the wall or ground) is also a very important skill.
Reply With Quote
  #24487  
Old 03-29-2019, 04:50 PM
Fat Ninja's Avatar
Fat Ninja Fat Ninja is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Studying for FSA
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I'm on PS4, so I don't think I can do mods (correct me if I'm wrong)......
You're right, forgot you were on PS4.

1) power hits - this is really important to learn, accuracy with this can help you punish overzealous defenders by lobbing the ball over them into the goal. Eventually this can help you set upfield passing plays though you probably won't have much opportunity for that until plat/diamond.
3) fast aerials - two common pitfalls: doing them all the time (sometimes you want to save your flip to get more power or change the direction of the ball), it's important to know when you have time to NOT fast aerial. The other pitfall is backflipping accidentally, this can be somewhat mitigated by increasing your aerial deadzone.
4) dribbling - I'm okay at dribbling but very inconsistent, if I were you I would focus on trapping the ball and being able to get a good first touch in terms of direction and how far the ball lands away from you. In 3v3s for the most part you're only dribbling the ball out of your corner to clear the ball or into their corner to set up a pass.
5) half flips - you can make it to diamond without learning this BUT it's a really good skill to have as it lets you be more aggressive with your positioning without compromising your backline. It can also help with recovery when you get bumped.

bonus... a lot of the time after a tip-off or even during normal play the ball will be rolling towards you at around half-court, if you drive into the ball (don't flip or jump) the ball will lob, practice how fast you have to go to get that shot directly in the goal and if you get good at this you can get a lot of really easy goals up until about platinum probably. When you start getting really good at this you can start aiming for the top corners to be extra lethal, this shot is more effective in 2's but it can still works in 3's. Eventually you can also use the technique to set up to air dribbles, redirects or when done at lower speeds you can do a short lob over a defender that's coming in hot, so it's a skill that will payoff in the long run as well.
Reply With Quote
  #24488  
Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 PM
dancran1220's Avatar
dancran1220 dancran1220 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,648
Default

Managed to snag Grand Champ rank in Rumble over the weekend. Up to 3 GC titles for Season 10 now! Knowing my past trends, this is about the point I start diminishing my playing time in Rocket League though. I've hit some hard to meet goals and now wonder what the hell I'm gonna do in the game next. We will see if Rocket League follows other competitive PvP games in my gaming history (CoD, LoL, Overwatch, etc) where I drop off and find a new game competitive game that grabs my attention and gets me deep diving to improve. Rocket League has always had a different feeling though, but historically for me it is about momentum. If I stop playing regularly it becomes significantly harder to switch back into regular play because I'll know the point/skill level I was at previously and end up not engaged enough to try and get to that level again.
Reply With Quote
  #24489  
Old 04-01-2019, 02:50 PM
OddSox OddSox is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard
Posts: 12,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Managed to snag Grand Champ rank in Rumble over the weekend. Up to 3 GC titles for Season 10 now! Knowing my past trends, this is about the point I start diminishing my playing time in Rocket League though. I've hit some hard to meet goals and now wonder what the hell I'm gonna do in the game next. We will see if Rocket League follows other competitive PvP games in my gaming history (CoD, LoL, Overwatch, etc) where I drop off and find a new game competitive game that grabs my attention and gets me deep diving to improve. Rocket League has always had a different feeling though, but historically for me it is about momentum. If I stop playing regularly it becomes significantly harder to switch back into regular play because I'll know the point/skill level I was at previously and end up not engaged enough to try and get to that level again.
nice!

I've been trying to get to diamond in dropshot recently. I hadn't tried it out since the update to give it ranked mode and am having a ton of fun with it.
Reply With Quote
  #24490  
Old 04-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Arroway's Avatar
Arroway Arroway is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a house
Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine
Posts: 1,602
Default

Tried out the MK11 beta this weekend. What was there was fun, but there wasn't much there. Just one tower and online mode. The rest was not available in the beta.
__________________
Arroway, Injustice 2 Raid Leader

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.35129 seconds with 10 queries