Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
No particular reason. In high school my nickname was Sid, like Sid Vicious. But I decided I wasn't worthy of a one-name name like Madonna or Cher, so I needed a full name. So I made my first name "The" and my last name "XXX". Kind of like "My friends call me 'Sid' but you can call me by my full name, 'The Sid XXX'." Maybe it was subconsciously an algebra thing? Who knows!

This was <cough> a long time ago </cough>, and it's just stuck ever since. Like pre-internet long time ago. So when the internet came out, I just used that name on stuff.

I hear you. For years and years I just left everything at a really boring college name that had no bearing on anything at all. it's only within the last few years that I've started trying to synchronize things in a way that actually makes sense.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

I would be super happy if Bethesda would actually display the name it made me create for my Fallout 76 character, instead of my user name.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post

I hear you. For years and years I just left everything at a really boring college name that had no bearing on anything at all. it's only within the last few years that I've started trying to synchronize things in a way that actually makes sense.
I find this especially annoying when I have friends that I play with in different platforms. e.g. same person being called cat's pajamas on steam but xx360noscopegangstaxx on xbox. Steam is nice about this, in that it lets you nickname people but still.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:18 PM
SOA

Was somewhat close to Grand Champ rank in Rocket League on my second account (1480 MMR, need 1515 to get into GC) in 3v3, and with the announcement of the end of season coming up in 2 weeks, I decided to put a solo push in for GC on it. Managed to get all 10 GC reward wins in the effort over the weekend. It's not like I'm some lock in GC quality player so it took some grinding to get it done, but after going in and out of GC a couple times I managed to get all 10 wins. Yay for 2 accounts at GC! No update on hoops though, haven't played it much. Maybe I'll see if I can get on a run, but hard to win consistently in it, especially solo queuing.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:26 PM
It's a funny name.

nice one. I've been playing a decent amount, especially with the new Rocket Pass. Chasing all those sweet sweet rewards.
In the actual gameplay, I've been making strong contributions to my team in both 3's and 2's, but I continue to suck royally in 1's. I think it's a function of I know how to cycle well and can make a decent save, hit a decent shot, etc when I'm up but I just don't have some of the mechanics needed to do well at 1's down pat. I believe my current rankings are:

3v3 - Silver 3, div 2
2v2 - Silver 2, div 3
1v1 - Bronze 1, div 2
Old 04-29-2019, 07:24 PM
SOA

My 1s rank is a similar difference below my 3s and 2s rank as well. It is a very different playstyle and skillset. Kickoffs are super important, shadow defense, ball control/car control, and shooting accuracy are pushed in different ways. For instance, recoveries are much more important in 1s as is managing the ball (ie not just giving it to the opponent). Instead of being able to do aerial shots in 3s, you need to be able to do powerful, accurate shots from the ground more in 1s which is a very different skillset. I'm borderline GC on 2s and 3s, but have fluctuated around the diamond/champion border in 1s this season, a full league difference (currently all the way in diamond 2, but that is mainly due to me trying to change my kick offs and getting rekt)!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:09 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Queuing with a teammate we went from Champ3 to Champ1 (almost diamond 3) in 2's this weekend. It almost felt as if there is something wrong with the ranking system or people abusing it because it felt like we kept running into either smurfs or people that were unranked that were just plowing through us. I don't mind losing at all, and understand that when you get to the rank you belong in you will lose half of the time but this was something else altogether.

Yesterday we went on a long win streak and made it back to c2 but it got really frustrating during the losing streak when you get to the end of the game and you see the other team is ranked as GC and diamond3, when the diamond3 guy was clearly underranked.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Fair warning, it's going to feel overwhelming your first couple games. I'm sure there are still mechanics I don't understand at all from Civ 5 and I played well over 100 hours.
Finally got around to playing Civ VI a couple nights ago, and MY GOD it's more massive than i originally thought. I got lost in the tutorial, THE TUTORIAL. I don't know if i've ever felt so overwhelmed getting into a game before. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it seemed like so much and i couldn't understand everything. It also looks like it takes a lot of time for a game to finish. It'll probably be a while until i try giving it a go again, i'm kind of afraid of it now.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
Queuing with a teammate we went from Champ3 to Champ1 (almost diamond 3) in 2's this weekend. It almost felt as if there is something wrong with the ranking system or people abusing it because it felt like we kept running into either smurfs or people that were unranked that were just plowing through us. I don't mind losing at all, and understand that when you get to the rank you belong in you will lose half of the time but this was something else altogether.

Yesterday we went on a long win streak and made it back to c2 but it got really frustrating during the losing streak when you get to the end of the game and you see the other team is ranked as GC and diamond3, when the diamond3 guy was clearly underranked.
Oof that is one rough session! I don't get that feeling as much in 2s as I do in hoops where people are literally unranked and playing with someone good.

I played against Forky while he was streaming in hoops a week or two ago with my teammate and holy cow was he so fast (currently ranked 17th in hoops leaderboard, but was top 10 at the time). He was playing with a friend that was barely champ but it didn't matter and we lost 2 games in a row, 1 close and 1 not so much. We would have gotten some fat MMR if we had won though, lol. It was interesting to watch his POV of the VOD afterwards on Twitch of the games. He made car control off the walls and in the air look so effortlessly accurate.

Glad you recovered most of it back. Let me know if you want to play some 2s going forward (or if you want to hold me to that replay analysis session I offered a while back). I think both my accounts are low C3 in 2s right now.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:39 PM
It's a funny name.

funny how I didn't get an offer to play any 2's...

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one