Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 2/FM - Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Sophomore at Point Loma Nazarene University

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenarecht View Post
Unfortunately, no. The closest to passing you can get (and still fail) is a final score of 5. You pass if you get a 6, and I think you need "medium" and above on all.

If you got "low" on everything, your final score must have been way below 5. Don't get discouraged if it's your first time; the whole Prometric experience can be intimidating at first and throw you off your game.
This wasn't my first time in a Prometric center. It took me two attempts to pass Exam P.

I felt like I had more "control" than I did during my first attempt of P, and I still managed to get a 3 and a "high" in one of the categories back then. I'm just really discouraged because I felt I studied adequately and had a good grasp on all the concepts, so to not even get a single "medium" is a huge slap in the face. I was way out of whack during the first ~15 minutes (like I was during my entire first attempt of P) and probably shouldn't have marked any guesses during that time, though.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperm View Post
This wasn't my first time in a Prometric center. It took me two attempts to pass Exam P.

I felt like I had more "control" than I did during my first attempt of P, and I still managed to get a 3 and a "high" in one of the categories back then. I'm just really discouraged because I felt I studied adequately and had a good grasp on all the concepts, so to not even get a single "medium" is a huge slap in the face. I was way out of whack during the first ~15 minutes (like I was during my entire first attempt of P) and probably shouldn't have marked any guesses during that time, though.
What worked for me is reproducing exam conditions at home as closely as possible, down to the crappy pencil and paper, because I was wasting a lot of time writing parts of the question over again.

Always aim for a 10, not just "adequate". Cramming lots of practice exams the day before didn't work either. I can't help but be a little nervous on test day, and that shaves off at least 1 point from my practice scores.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Exams aren't everything.

Keep your chin up.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:20 PM
SOA

College: Purdue University
Favorite beer: PBR

I just passed yesterday. I used ADAPT for the last month of my studying. I would say the exam is definitely around the level of 5. Also a lot of the questions seemed like the level of the SOA example problems.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM
SOA

College: The Ohio State University

I passed yesterday! I'm happy to have it done now. I used the 11th edition ASM manual with the 12th edition supplement and I did all 202 questions released by SOA . I also did the two practice exams released by TIA.

Its imperative to work every problem available to you. If you take short cuts on the problems, you can't guarantee that you picked up all the uses for any given equation. Did you know the equations that you needed to use when you were reading questions superduperm?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:00 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Sophomore at Point Loma Nazarene University

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCactuaryWannaB5577 View Post
Did you know the equations that you needed to use when you were reading questions superduperm?
Generally speaking, yes. Often times, I had to wait a bit for it to come to me, though. I often go through the whole exam once, answering close to half the questions and leaving the rest blank, and then do another run through all the questions I left blank. Surprisingly, after being lost the first time, I often come up with something reasonable on the second try, likely because I have a bit more momentum/control and time to reflect on the questions. A useful strategy I discovered in this attempt was numbering all my questions on my scratch paper and writing down some equations/work for the vast majority of them in the first run, which helped in the second run for questions I left blank.

I do think I had too many guesses, though. I invested way too much time at the end on two questions trying to figure out how to match with one of the answers, and had no time to check any uncertain guesses after that. I remember some of the questions I spent too long on pretty well, and wish I could figure out how to do them, but for obvious reasons I can't say what they were on here.

It's really a shame I don't get any more specific critique, because I really would like to know if a lot of the problems I got an answer to were miscalculations or if was simply the fact that all my guesses were incorrect. The performance breakdown, especially the one I got, doesn't tell me that at all.

I'll probably get a 60-day edition of ADAPT later this week and take the exam again in October.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperm View Post
Generally speaking, yes. Often times, I had to wait a bit for it to come to me, though. I often go through the whole exam once, answering close to half the questions and leaving the rest blank, and then do another run through all the questions I left blank. Surprisingly, after being lost the first time, I often come up with something reasonable on the second try, likely because I have a bit more momentum/control and time to reflect on the questions. A useful strategy I discovered in this attempt was numbering all my questions on my scratch paper and writing down some equations/work for the vast majority of them in the first run, which helped in the second run for questions I left blank.

I do think I had too many guesses, though. I invested way too much time at the end on two questions trying to figure out how to match with one of the answers, and had no time to check any uncertain guesses after that. I remember some of the questions I spent too long on pretty well, and wish I could figure out how to do them, but for obvious reasons I can't say what they were on here.

It's really a shame I don't get any more specific critique, because I really would like to know if a lot of the problems I got an answer to were miscalculations or if was simply the fact that all my guesses were incorrect. The performance breakdown, especially the one I got, doesn't tell me that at all.

I'll probably get a 60-day edition of ADAPT later this week and take the exam again in October.
Keep grinding. You'll get there eventually.