Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Political Issues
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 AM
CAS

By the way -- to those of you who objected -- don't worry, I'm unlikely to do this again. This is WAY more work than I realized it would be.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM
CAS

Oops, I forgot to re-open this when I was done with clean-up. Thread for charlottesville is here:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=325284
Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Thank you
Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Not Trump's fault and not racism per hotel owner so per thread rules I get to

Quote:
Swiss hotel accused of antisemitism over signs singling out Jews
Israel asks Swiss government to condemn Paradies hotel after notices on swimming pool and kitchen use are put on Facebook
The sign asking Jewish guests to take a shower, and the entrance of the hotel in Arosa, Switzerland
The offensive sign, and the entrance to the hotel in Arosa, Switzerland. The manager of the Paradies said her ‘choice of words was a mistake’. Photograph: Documenting Anti-Semitism/Facebook
View more sharing options
Shares
Agence France-Presse in Geneva
Tuesday 15 August 2017 09.12 EDT Last modified on Wednesday 16 August 2017 05.39 EDT
Israel has lodged official complaints after a hotel in Switzerland posted signs telling Jewish guests to shower before using the pool and restricted their access to a kitchen freezer.

The Paradies apartment hotel in the Alpine village of Arosa, in eastern Switzerland, has been accused of antisemitism after a guest posted to Facebook a picture of a notice near the hotel pool.

“To our Jewish guests, women, men and children, please take a shower before you go swimming,” it said, adding: “If you break the rules I’m forced to [close] the swimming pool for you.”

A second notice, in the kitchen, instructed “our Jewish guests” that they could only access the facility’s freezer between 10 and 11am and between 4.30 and 5.30pm. “I hope you understand that our team does not like being disturbed all the time,” it said.

The story was published by Israeli papers, prompting a harsh reaction from Israeli officials.
As Bibi Jr says, neo-nazi's are a thing of the past, so this is a big nothingburger.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Georgia
KKK denied permit to burn cross atop symbolic mountain in Georgia
Stone Mountain Park, site of the second founding of the KKK in 1915, says it ‘condemns the beliefs and actions’ of the white supremacist group
A Confederate memorial at Stone Mountain Park, Georgia, features Jefferson Davis, Stonewall Jackson and Robert E Lee.
A Confederate memorial at Stone Mountain Park, Georgia, features Jefferson Davis, Stonewall Jackson and Robert E Lee. Photograph: Alamy
View more sharing options
Shares
Amanda Holpuch in New York
Wednesday 16 August 2017 16.39 EDT Last modified on Wednesday 16 August 2017 17.12 EDT
Georgia’s Stone Mountain park has denied the Ku Klux Klan’s request to burn a cross at the top of the mountain, where the second KKK was founded in 1915.

Joey Hobbs, of the Sacred Knights’ Ku Klux Klan, submitted a permit application request for 20 people to attend a cross-burning on top of the mountain, which is notorious for being tied to the KKK.

“We will light our cross and 20 minutes later we will be gone,” Hobbs wrote on the permit.

The president of the United States is now a neo-Nazi sympathiser
Richard Wolffe
Richard Wolffe Read more
The Stone Mountain Memorial Association this week denied the request for a 21 October cross-burning and said in a statement that it “condemns the beliefs and actions of the Ku Klux Klan and believes the denial of this Public Assembly request is in the best interest of all parties”.

“We don’t want any of these groups at the park, quite frankly,” John Bankhead, a spokesman for the association, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...untain-georgia

The ACLU might be on the case to fight for their freedoms!

Since this wasn't a hate crime