Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Website Ideas - Comments > Make a Suggestion or Report a Problem Here
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

View Poll Results: Which of these would you like to see implemented. Vote for as many as you like:
More moderation of insults: No insults towards posters allowed. If anyone takes offense, it was probably over the line. 15 25.00%
More moderation around insults, but not a total ban (please post your recommended changes) 14 23.33%
Keep the current moderation of insults (for other questions, just don't vote "more" or "less" where the current level is about right) 13 21.67%
Less moderation around insults, allow honest reactions 21 35.00%
Less moderation around insults, truth is a defense 18 30.00%
Way less moderation around insults -- we are adults, we can take it 20 33.33%
More moderation of trolls (here defined as those who make posts intended to upset others or to provoke an angry or inappropriate response on the AO) 25 41.67%
Perma-bans (and faster temp bans) of posters who insult others, or troll (as defined above) 14 23.33%
Moderation of posts intended to/likely to derail a topic (Such as provoking long digressions about barely-related or unrelated topics, or "melting down" with little provocation. Currently, this is allowed.) 17 28.33%
(Perma-)bans of posters who tend to derail conversations. 15 25.00%
More moderation around racism and racial/ethnic slurs 20 33.33%
Less moderation around race and racial/ethnic slurs 18 30.00%
Faster (perma-)bans of racist posters 15 25.00%
More moderation around religious bigotry, insults, and slurs 19 31.67%
Less moderation around religious bigotry, insults, and slurs 15 25.00%
More (any) moderation around sexism 15 25.00%
More moderation around homophobia/transphobia, and other non-standard sexual presentations 17 28.33%
Less moderation around homophobia/transphobia, and other non-standard sexual presentations 17 28.33%
Perma-bans (and faster temp-bans) of other sorts of bigoted posters (religious, sexual, etc.) 15 25.00%
More and/or faster bans of people who do ______ (please comment on what) 11 18.33%
More consistency in moderation -- due to stricter, less subjective rules (such as "no insults") 15 25.00%
More consistency in moderation -- due to slower moderation with more time for mods to reach consensus 14 23.33%
Faster moderation -- due to stricter, less subjective rules (such as "no insults") 12 20.00%
Faster moderation -- encourage the mods to each act alone, despite a likely decrease in consistency 12 20.00%
Split political into two fora, "political discussion" with stricter moderation and "Political, the cesspool" for those who don't want to be muzzled 21 35.00%
DELETE THE POLITICAL FORUM ENTIRELY 3 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 10:06 AM

so, we have an almost 4000 post thread. what is even the point here? Tom logs on, flies off the handle and permabans and ip bans a good poster.

forget it. just shut down the forum already.
Spoiler:
Old Today, 10:12 AM

Tom is barely on here at all, but dare say something he doesn't like and you're gone.

Actually, dare say something he doesn't like and he has to actually be on here on his one out of 365 days a year to see it. Others have said lots of negative things about him that he either didn't see or wasn't having a bad day to fly off the handle and ban them.
Spoiler:
Old Today, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
There is a limited-power mods forum that is only accessible when you log on with a mod ID. No extra password required, and it's not even hidden, so long as you are logged on as a mod.

Personally, I'd like to see political like that. Accessible to every logged-on poster, but not otherwise visible. It would keep banned posters out, without inconveniencing anyone else.

I don't know how hard that would be to set up, but that would be my preference. And, presumably, the occasional poster who is using the professional forums to study for exams but runs into trouble in political could be personally banned from political only.

Mod1 has the power to ban, but prefers to run perma-bans by Tom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
How would this set up keep out banned posters who simply sign back in with one of their alternate handles, Sir?
I donīt see that hiding Political or having a password to access Political would keep those people out either. Even if mods refused to give them the password, someone we wanted to have it might share it. Someone already told ao fan how to find Political after Tom hid it.

An approach like the limited mods forum, if the software allows it, could keep people out. If you are on the allowed list, you can get to it. If not, you canīt. If you donīt follow the rules, you can be dropped from Political without losing other access to the AO. Even if the software allowed it, that would be considerably more work for Tom if he had to get involved with every addition to the allowed list and possibly considerably more if he had to get involved with every removal of access.
Old Today, 10:26 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
Non-Actuary

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
Tom is barely on here at all, but dare say something he doesn't like and you're gone.

Actually, dare say something he doesn't like and he has to actually be on here on his one out of 365 days a year to see it. Others have said lots of negative things about him that he either didn't see or wasn't having a bad day to fly off the handle and ban them.
Tom straight up said he wouldn't be tolerating that kind of stuff any longer, but the poster in question responds by insulting him, thus getting that account tempbanned. Then the poster throws a tantrum and insults Tom again, resulting in the second account getting tempbanned. Then the poster insults tom AGAIN. Now that i think about it, the poster had it coming due to the poster being unable to simply keep his composure.
Old Today, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Tom straight up said he wouldn't be tolerating that kind of stuff any longer, but the poster in question responds by insulting him, thus getting that account tempbanned. Then the poster throws a tantrum and insults Tom again, resulting in the second account getting tempbanned. Then the poster insults tom AGAIN. Now that i think about it, the poster had it coming due to the poster being unable to simply keep his composure.
I didn't see that. I saw one post that was a play on words and was not meant to even be insulting towards Tom. Then Tom temp banned that id for it. Then there was a 2nd post after Tom banned the first id that might have been slightly more nasty because he was surprised he was banned for something that was not meant to be insulting. Then the ids were permabanned and ip banned. I didn't see any 3rd post at all. None of that is deserving of being permabanned or ip banned.

But thanks grape. I see where your loyalties lie.
Spoiler:
Old Today, 10:31 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
Non-Actuary

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine

Not saying I agree with the punishment, but given the tempbans leading up to it, I'm not surprised. The poster knew the two accounts already got long vacations. It seemed like if the IP ban didn't go into place, the poster probably would've kept going. The poster could've simply just shut up.
Old Today, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Not saying I agree with the punishment, but the poster knew the two accounts already got long vacations. It seemed like if the IP ban didn't go into place, the poster probably would've kept going.
what was this 3rd post? i didn't see it.
Spoiler: