Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Open Job Listings > Actuarial Jobs - Careers - Health / Health & Welfare
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:17 PM
AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
I'm sure the candidates were great. As someone else mentioned, there are more candidates than spots available. Doesn't make it any less exploitative for an employer to offer it though.

Fortunately, employers offering unpaid internships are starting to get hit with class action lawsuits like the one below:

http://unpaidinternslawsuit.com/
Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 PM
SOA

Studying for Advanced

From personal experience, I have a high regard for government internship as a career starter.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Sorry but I have to bite at this one. I'm sure LL didn't just decide on having unpaid interns; the criticism is more general.

But yea, there's already a big enough socioeconomic divide when it comes to higher education, but now we're throwing into the mix the ability to afford to live unsupported in New Jersey to get experience.

It's terrible, also, that a state entity would exploit people that way. That corrupt state can afford the $15/hr for an intern.

Please forgive unintended sarcasm
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Sorry but I have to bite at this one. I'm sure LL didn't just decide on having unpaid interns; the criticism is more general.

But yea, there's already a big enough socioeconomic divide when it comes to higher education, but now we're throwing into the mix the ability to afford to live unsupported in New Jersey to get experience.

It's terrible, also, that a state entity would exploit people that way. That corrupt state can afford the $15/hr for an intern.
15/hr is probably more than what they offer EL.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM
SOA

IANAL, but the link does not apply. We don't get any financial benefit from this, and we don't get interns in lieu of paid employees. I actually end up spending more hours training the person (who leaves in 2 months) than I would spend doing the work myself. I do it because I enjoy teaching and helping actuarial students. If I stop giving my time for this program, it pretty much ends.

I will not be responding further.

What's wrong, Superman? Locked out of your big ice thingy?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this because the rules for that thread indicated "no outside links". Thanks for letting me know. I'll contact Tom.
moved to open job listings, Health.

Last edited by Moderator37; 04-23-2014 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: OP request :)
Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
IANAL, but the link does not apply. We don't get any financial benefit from this, and we don't get interns in lieu of paid employees. I actually end up spending more hours training the person (who leaves in 2 months) than I would spend doing the work myself. I do it because I enjoy teaching and helping actuarial students. If I stop giving my time for this program, it pretty much ends.

Fair enough. Iím sure your intentions are good and your legal department has made sure the program complies with federal wage laws. My criticisms weren't really directed at you or this position in particular.

Instead, my criticisms are directed at the general concept of unpaid internships. In my opinion, offering unpaid internships is an abhorrent practice that preys on young peopleís desire for experience at all costs. Paying $8/hour, or whatever the NJ minimum wage is, just seems like the ethical thing to do.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
can i still apply if i graduated already?
The program is for college students only. Students pursuing a graduate level degree are eligible.

What's wrong, Superman? Locked out of your big ice thingy?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM
CAS

Shh. You'll start a trend.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 PM
CAS

Quote:

I think what you're doing is great.

Personal question that you can ignore if you want - if you live in the Philly burbs, how do you qualify for a state job in NJ? Thought you had to live in NJ to have a state job in NJ.