Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Group & Health Core Exam Old Group & Health Design & Pricing Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for a 6
College: Candy Mountain Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobobob View Post
8a was my favorite. Good luck not making one mistake with that string of numbers as you typed it into the calculator during the stress free setting of exam day. I remember struggling with that one because I thought that's what it was asking but then I thought that there had to be an easier way. Nope.

I also love the questions where it said the candidates didn't understand the question (15b). That's an issue with the question writers, not the candidates. But they failed more of us than they passed so they did their job...
I agree that the calculator typing is pretty ridiculous. I even tried to dig back in my memory during the exam to FM formulas to find a shortcut!

You probably did this, but in case you didn't (for future sittings), I found it helpful to calculate the first term, write that down, then continually apply * 1.055 / 1.04 (or whatever deviation occurs), then write down, rinse, repeat. This way, you save your progress, and type in a simple addition problem at the end.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie the Unicorn View Post
I agree that the calculator typing is pretty ridiculous. I even tried to dig back in my memory during the exam to FM formulas to find a shortcut!

You probably did this, but in case you didn't (for future sittings), I found it helpful to calculate the first term, write that down, then continually apply * 1.055 / 1.04 (or whatever deviation occurs), then write down, rinse, repeat. This way, you save your progress, and type in a simple addition problem at the end.
this sounds familiar. I think I saved that 1.055/1.04 factor ->x on the TI30 and just kept calling it. I recall setting up some large tables on the answer sheet trying to keep track of everything.