Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 AM
dkamka's Avatar
dkamka dkamka is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
Even for questions I get right, I'm not entirely sure I didn't miss something. Some of the questions definitely made me dig up and brush the dust off some obscure formula/concepts.

Hopefully, we will get the "hang" of Mahler soon enough.

On the bright side, this brutality, focus on outlier topics and mind warp was exactly what my October 2017 sitting felt like, so maybe this is a sign that Mahler PE is the key to the magic kingdom.
I leave any question blank that I can't confidently answer. I'm scoring these without guess and the ones I get right are pretty easy, except for a 2-3. The ones I get wrong I didn't even guess. this is my way of knowing what the worst case is
__________________
PM me if you’re in the Austin area
Exams: P | FM | MLC |MFE | C
VEE: Finance | Economics | Applied Statistics | Accounting

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 AM
kodak11111's Avatar
kodak11111 kodak11111 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Studying for C
College: 3rd Yr, BSc(Hons) Actuarial, U Manitoba
Favorite beer: Absolute Vodka, Fireball
Posts: 59
Default

What order do you think I should do these in?
  • SOA Samples
  • ASM Practice Exams
  • Mahler Practice Exams
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C (Feb 6)
ECON FIN STAT (Apr)
12345678 IA FA (Feb)
Professionalism Workshop (Apr 25)
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:59 AM
dkamka's Avatar
dkamka dkamka is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak11111 View Post
What order do you think I should do these in?
  • SOA Samples
  • ASM Practice Exams
  • Mahler Practice Exams
Mahler, SOA, ASM
__________________
PM me if you’re in the Austin area
Exams: P | FM | MLC |MFE | C
VEE: Finance | Economics | Applied Statistics | Accounting

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:59 AM
dkamka's Avatar
dkamka dkamka is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
is it too late to start studying for this exam? i bought the mahler manual a month ago, but barely worked on it. How are you guys even able to split up that 5000 page manual?
You should get the PEs with the study guide. if you don't make Feb you will definitely be good for June. You'll want to reference the study guide for missed PE questions. I've be learning a lot after only 5 PEs. His study guide exercises are exam caliber too. He renumbers and rewords past exams questions and SOA 300, so it prepares us for the SOA style. I'd do the study guide sequentially
__________________
PM me if you’re in the Austin area
Exams: P | FM | MLC |MFE | C
VEE: Finance | Economics | Applied Statistics | Accounting

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC

Last edited by dkamka; 01-12-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Outsanity Outsanity is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
College: 1st year
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
I leave any question blank that I can't confidently answer. I'm scoring these without guess and the ones I get right are pretty easy, except for a 2-3. The ones I get wrong I didn't even guess. this is my way of knowing what the worst case is
I think guessing skills are important, esp if able to narrow answers down to one or two. But if I really have no idea whatsoever about what the question is talking about, then I leave it blank, yeah.

Most of the time, I'm just really paranoid of small things...forgetting to apply Continuity Correction...misreading Insured vs. Insurer... mixing up unbiased vs. biased variance so I'm usually not 100% confident on any answer. I keep thinking there are tricks. xD

14/20 on Mahler#2! (Now, I'm expecting something really crazy on Mahler#3)
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM
llkho llkho is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Hello everyone! I'm having trouble understanding the solution to SOA problem #300. I understand the alternative solution which recognizes that the probability distribution is uniform from 1 to 10. But I am having trouble understanding the first solution. I don't get how the kernel mean is equal to 0.5 and how the kernel population variance is equal to 0.75. Any help please? Thank you so much.
__________________
Preliminaries: P FM C LTAM IFM
VEE: Statistics | Corporate Finance | Economics
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM
dkamka's Avatar
dkamka dkamka is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkho View Post
Hello everyone! I'm having trouble understanding the solution to SOA problem #300. I understand the alternative solution which recognizes that the probability distribution is uniform from 1 to 10. But I am having trouble understanding the first solution. I don't get how the kernel mean is equal to 0.5 and how the kernel population variance is equal to 0.75. Any help please? Thank you so much.
I'll take a shot at this:
Mean=0.5 because bandwidth is 1.5/3
Variance=0.75 because b^2/3 is the variance for uniform kernel. We usually add the uniform variance to empirical variance to get overall Kernel Density Variance, same idea with KDE mean. I'm not 100% but I think this is what's going on
__________________
PM me if you’re in the Austin area
Exams: P | FM | MLC |MFE | C
VEE: Finance | Economics | Applied Statistics | Accounting

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC

Last edited by dkamka; 01-13-2018 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 AM
dkamka's Avatar
dkamka dkamka is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
I think guessing skills are important, esp if able to narrow answers down to one or two. But if I really have no idea whatsoever about what the question is talking about, then I leave it blank, yeah.

Most of the time, I'm just really paranoid of small things...forgetting to apply Continuity Correction...misreading Insured vs. Insurer... mixing up unbiased vs. biased variance so I'm usually not 100% confident on any answer. I keep thinking there are tricks. xD

14/20 on Mahler#2! (Now, I'm expecting something really crazy on Mahler#3)
#3 was my worst score. I only got 10/20...

I am feeling the same on exactly a few of those points as well. I don't know if Mahler is more difficult than we'll see, but you've take C once. How do you feel Mahler compares to SOA? Congrats on the pass. At least you got one down. I'm consistently scoring like 11-13 and had several where I made a 2-3 dumb mistakes and should've passed. Can you say what your Oct score was and how that exam compares to these Mahler?
__________________
PM me if you’re in the Austin area
Exams: P | FM | MLC |MFE | C
VEE: Finance | Economics | Applied Statistics | Accounting

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC

Last edited by dkamka; 01-14-2018 at 03:29 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 01-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Outsanity Outsanity is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
College: 1st year
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
#3 was my worst score. I only got 10/20...

I am feeling the same on exactly a few of those points as well. I don't know if Mahler is more difficult than we'll see, but you've take C once. How do you feel Mahler compares to SOA? Congrats on the pass. At least you got one down. I'm consistently scoring like 11-13 and had several where I made a 2-3 dumb mistakes and should've passed. Can you say what your Oct score was and how that exam compares to these Mahler?
#12/20 on Mahler 3. Got 1 lucky guess (I have no idea how to do #7 but somehow w/e I did got my close enough to real answer) and 2 stupid mistakes.

I love Mahler, because the "twist-y" stuff they throw at you, like how to do nCr with decimals (when r isn't an integer in negative binomials), how to calculate the F(x) of gammas with integer alphas (I think they're called Erlang distributions?), or what "Based on the assumption of a constant hazard rate" implies, or how to simplify stuff when just given symbols (example - Exam #1, Q7) was EXACTLY what tripped me up in my October sitting.

I got a 4 in Oct. 2017. The exam was a love child between ADAPT 6 and Mahler.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 01-15-2018, 04:45 AM
dkamka's Avatar
dkamka dkamka is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Posts: 380
Default

Exam #1, Q7 --> there's one more I came across very similar, but more difficult. I never saw a formula like this, but you'll be glad to learn it on Exam #7, Q4. The wording of the constant hazard rate question wasn't something I knew before. That's why I keep saying I feel Mahler is crucial in diversifying exam C knowledge beyond ASM/TIA. It goes the extra mile. Do you have the study guide too? I've found it invaluable also because after exam questions he notes which practice question was similar/almost identical and section/chapter.

Although I'm scoring 12-13 on average, I keep making a mistake or two or even three and feel I learn so much from each exam, that if I were to retake them I could prove I've learned a lot. We'll see how ADAPT experience goes after I finish all of Mahler. I expect he has risen the bar for my knowledge and I should obtain level 6 or even 7?
Justly too, IMO and not from guessing. I think this Mahler experience is really paving the way for my success by June at worst. If I obtain EL 6-7 and can pass them consistently I'll sit for Feb. If I can't get to at least EL 6 I will wait it out until June. Whoa what if I can get to EL 10 after Mahler?? LOL
__________________
PM me if you’re in the Austin area
Exams: P | FM | MLC |MFE | C
VEE: Finance | Economics | Applied Statistics | Accounting

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC

Last edited by dkamka; 01-15-2018 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.31876 seconds with 12 queries