Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-21-2015, 02:56 PM
tommie frazier tommie frazier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's
Posts: 22,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
How does pharma pricing compare with prohibited price optimization by insurers? (Or is that a dumb question?)
dumb question. until they get regulated on pricing like insurance they charge what the market will bear.

read this today:
http://healthblog.ncpa.org/when-are-...ecialty-drugs/

tl;dr - specialty drugs mentioned are actually cocktails of readily available OTC drugs. Could charge insurance $50/day or person could get similar unmixed OTC meds for 50 cents per day.
__________________
Removed a dated athletic reference under pressure from a friend. You can still give money to help fund research on neurofibromatosis (nf).

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-21-2015, 05:44 PM
T-roy's Avatar
T-roy T-roy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2002
College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man
Posts: 8,611
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
tl;dr - specialty drugs mentioned are actually cocktails of readily available OTC drugs. Could charge insurance $50/day or person could get similar unmixed OTC meds for 50 cents per day.
Read the tldr; as "actuarial cocktails" first. Gives me a lulz
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLYLOL View Post
Beer is ****ing amazing
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 8,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
dumb question. until they get regulated on pricing like insurance they charge what the market will bear.

read this today:
http://healthblog.ncpa.org/when-are-...ecialty-drugs/

tl;dr - specialty drugs mentioned are actually cocktails of readily available OTC drugs. Could charge insurance $50/day or person could get similar unmixed OTC meds for 50 cents per day.
It's total BS. I suppose without some incentive, researchers might never think about combining generic drugs, but this is ridiculous.

I did once hurt my back pretty badly, and the doc prescribed some kind of narcotic like vicodin or whatever, and 2,400mg of ibuprofen per day. The pharmacy had 'prescription' 800mg ibuprofen tabs, but the copay was $20, and for like $5 I could buy a big old bottle of 200mg ibuprofen tabs. I asked, and the pharmacist said the big bottle was the way to go, no difference.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-21-2015, 07:13 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 8,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy View Post
Read the tldr; as "actuarial cocktails" first. Gives me a lulz
Is that what you get when you put diphenhydramine into 3.2% beer? No buzz, just a tired feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-21-2015, 07:32 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 36,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
dumb question. until they get regulated on pricing like insurance they charge what the market will bear.
OK, enough publicity about stuff like the OP, and maybe they will be regulated. . .
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 PM
tommie frazier tommie frazier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's
Posts: 22,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
OK, enough publicity about stuff like the OP, and maybe they will be regulated. . .
and we do not need gummint regulation. the problem is that the buyer and the payer have almost no relationship or tie to eachother to work together to keep costs down.

we need consumers to regulate prices like they do in eery other commercial endeavor. if something is too much...buy something else. (in unique circumstances like the only maker of a treatment for something horrible...i guess I understand the backlash.) but we (consumers) can't stay stupid forever and just think prices will get fixed.
__________________
Removed a dated athletic reference under pressure from a friend. You can still give money to help fund research on neurofibromatosis (nf).

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If the government can regulate insurance prices I am having a hard time seeing why they shouldn't regulate something as important as prices for medical services and drugs.

You can argue whether they should regulate any prices - but given that they do, drug prices and medical services should be among them.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
FormLetter's Avatar
FormLetter FormLetter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 48,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
It's total BS. I suppose without some incentive, researchers might never think about combining generic drugs, but this is ridiculous.

I did once hurt my back pretty badly, and the doc prescribed some kind of narcotic like vicodin or whatever, and 2,400mg of ibuprofen per day. The pharmacy had 'prescription' 800mg ibuprofen tabs, but the copay was $20, and for like $5 I could buy a big old bottle of 200mg ibuprofen tabs. I asked, and the pharmacist said the big bottle was the way to go, no difference.
Absolutely. I have advised multiple relatives to throw their prescriptions for prescription ibuprofen or naproxen in the trash b/c their only function (as stated directly to me by our pharmacy executive) is to help people avoid over-taking them. Ok, so this one is 800mg, this one is 220mg, and I won't die by just taking 4 of the 220s? Nope. But if you took a ton of the 800s you might. Fantastic.
__________________
Come join the AO Rap Battle Tournament 2013:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...33#post7082433
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-22-2015, 02:35 PM
FormLetter's Avatar
FormLetter FormLetter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 48,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
If the government can regulate insurance prices I am having a hard time seeing why they shouldn't regulate something as important as prices for medical services and drugs.

You can argue whether they should regulate any prices - but given that they do, drug prices and medical services should be among them.
Not disagreeing with your logic, but would you mind laying it out?
__________________
Come join the AO Rap Battle Tournament 2013:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...33#post7082433
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-22-2015, 04:57 PM
exponentialpi's Avatar
exponentialpi exponentialpi is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Po
Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke
Posts: 1,307
Default

Abbvie taking a hit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...patient-deaths
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19463 seconds with 9 queries