Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 11:56 AM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: wild ale
Default October 2017 Exam C Thread

Started reading Loss Models yesterday, so I figured I might as well get this thread going. Who else is aiming to write in October? Any fellow recent MFE passers?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
SOA

I just passed MFE wednesday ! Was thinking maybe rushing C for June, but it might be better to go for the October sitting, apparently theres alot more material to study for C, might not make it in 2.5 months
Old 03-17-2017, 01:36 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaNG View Post
I just passed MFE wednesday ! Was thinking maybe rushing C for June, but it might be better to go for the October sitting, apparently theres alot more material to study for C, might not make it in 2.5 months
From what I've heard, 2.5 months is likely not enough unless you have previous exposure and all the time in the world to study. I'm getting married labour day weekend so October is my goal, but there's a chance I'll end up too busy and not write until February. I've seen about half to three quarters of the material in university courses but it was > 3 years ago. Planning on reading through Loss Models then coming up with a plan of attack once I've finished with that.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM
SOA

After a few months off of studying, I was thinking of getting back into this. I have the 2017 Actex manual, but have been putting off studying for finding an actuarial job. I've still not gotten any offers, and debating if I should pursue something else for now, or try to tackle this. I think I heard this exam will be changing next year which is pushing me even more to getting this out of the way.

My plan: study a little bit when I can, and see how it goes. Although this is supposed to be the longest and broadest prelim, I think I might like this material. It seems to build off of P, which was the easiest exam in my opinion and more up my alley.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:31 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavec View Post
After a few months off of studying, I was thinking of getting back into this. I have the 2017 Actex manual, but have been putting off studying for finding an actuarial job. I've still not gotten any offers, and debating if I should pursue something else for now, or try to tackle this. I think I heard this exam will be changing next year which is pushing me even more to getting this out of the way.

My plan: study a little bit when I can, and see how it goes. Although this is supposed to be the longest and broadest prelim, I think I might like this material. It seems to build off of P, which was the easiest exam in my opinion and more up my alley.
I wouldn't put off C any longer. I'm not sure which route you're pursuing, but both SOA and CAS will have new slightly modified exams (Short term Actuarial Models / Modern Actuarial Statistics II) I believe after the June sitting of next year. If you liked P you should definitely enjoy studying for C.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Hello,

I want to sit for this exam in October but I have an old manual, has this exam changed any in recent years?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

I'm in for this! I just passed MFE, and I have a copy of the second edition of Loss Models. It looks like the textbook has changed some since the second edition, but probably more in organization rather than content (I hope).

I also ordered Mahler's manual. I used ASM for MLC and MFE, but I heard good things about Mahler, so I thought I'd try his manual for C. It's 5000 pages, though, so I might need to get started right away!

Comparing ASM manuals, it looks like C has about as much content as MLC, so there's no way I can make the June 2017 exam. I'm shooting for October.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
I'm in for this! I just passed MFE, and I have a copy of the second edition of Loss Models. It looks like the textbook has changed some since the second edition, but probably more in organization rather than content (I hope).

I also ordered Mahler's manual. I used ASM for MLC and MFE, but I heard good things about Mahler, so I thought I'd try his manual for C. It's 5000 pages, though, so I might need to get started right away!

Comparing ASM manuals, it looks like C has about as much content as MLC, so there's no way I can make the June 2017 exam. I'm shooting for October.
I also used ASM for my previous exams, was wondering which manual I should use for C, heard ASM might not be the best for this exam
Old 03-19-2017, 05:17 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaNG View Post
I also used ASM for my previous exams, was wondering which manual I should use for C, heard ASM might not be the best for this exam
Really? Interesting. I don't know how the ASM manual for C is. I have a coworker who just passed C using TIA and the ASM manual, and I didn't hear any complaints about either one. Either way, I had heard Mahler was good, so I wanted to try out his manual. It sounds like he really goes into detail and builds things from first principles, which is what I like. We'll see. I saw that he has an MFE manual, too, but I didn't see that until I'd already been studying for a while. If it turns out I don't like it I will get ASM.

By the way, I see you're in Montreal. What university are you going to? Are you from there originally? I used to work for a company headquartered in Quebec, Quebec, and most of the people there seemed to have graduated from Universite Laval. Seems to be a good actuarial program. The people that graduated from there were very smart and capable, seemingly a good number of which were ASAs shortly after graduation.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Predictive Analytics& FAP
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

I'm doing TIA and set my exam date as June. I'm currently on A.5.1 and have to do 4 lessons per day until March 31, then only 2 per day after i catch up. That'll leave me a month for practice exams and practice problems. I probably will still just put extra time doing ASM problems after that and maybe 1 practice exam every couple days and sit in Oct.

For all those above who were wondering about ASM which i have and started using, it's very thorough and seems to be another top notch work of Dr. W. It's pretty awesome in my opinion!
Advanced:FAP, PA
Seminar: APC

Last edited by dkamka; 03-20-2017 at 09:15 AM..