Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
Really? Interesting. I don't know how the ASM manual for C is. I have a coworker who just passed C using TIA and the ASM manual, and I didn't hear any complaints about either one. Either way, I had heard Mahler was good, so I wanted to try out his manual. It sounds like he really goes into detail and builds things from first principles, which is what I like. We'll see. I saw that he has an MFE manual, too, but I didn't see that until I'd already been studying for a while. If it turns out I don't like it I will get ASM.

By the way, I see you're in Montreal. What university are you going to? Are you from there originally? I used to work for a company headquartered in Quebec, Quebec, and most of the people there seemed to have graduated from Universite Laval. Seems to be a good actuarial program. The people that graduated from there were very smart and capable, seemingly a good number of which were ASAs shortly after graduation.
Im halfway through my bachelor at Uqam, university of Quebec in montreal. It's a pretty good school for the program imo. We're alot of students though,
What company did you work for and why did you leave? if you don't mind me asking

Last edited by JJaNG; 03-20-2017 at 03:46 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Utah
Favorite beer: Modelo

I started studying in Feb for the June sitting but my progress has been bogged down by life events. So as of right now, I am wrapping up some VEEs then I will jump back in the saddle for this October sitting. FYI, there is a LOT of material and it builds on itself nicely from the 1 month Ive been studying it. Its very dense... and personally, I feel the ASM is horrible at explaining some new ideas.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaNG View Post
Im halfway through my bachelor at Uqam, university of Quebec in montreal. It's a pretty good school for the program imo. We're alot of students though,
What company did you work for and why did you leave? if you don't mind me asking
Ah, OK. I remember that Quebec actually had a few good schools for actuarial science. Interesting. I'd wondered why actuarial science was so popular in that part of Canada, but it sounded like the northeastern US also was a hotbed of it.

I worked in the United States for a subsidiary of Industrial Alliance. We were a small actuarial department. Unfortunately, the parent company in Quebec decided to consolidate actuarial functions into Canada, and so eliminated the actuarial department where I worked. I was laid off. They're a very good company, though, and great people to work with! I would work with them again if the situation arose in the future.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcuandon View Post
I started studying in Feb for the June sitting but my progress has been bogged down by life events. So as of right now, I am wrapping up some VEEs then I will jump back in the saddle for this October sitting. FYI, there is a LOT of material and it builds on itself nicely from the 1 month Ive been studying it. Its very dense... and personally, I feel the ASM is horrible at explaining some new ideas.
Well, we'll be here. I just passed MFE, so I knew that I wouldn't have enough time to study for the June exam. October should be enough time to study for it, though. I hope.

Your signature shows that this is your third exam. Why did you go for C before MFE? Not that there's anything wrong with it, I'm just curious.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
I wouldn't put off C any longer. I'm not sure which route you're pursuing, but both SOA and CAS will have new slightly modified exams (Short term Actuarial Models / Modern Actuarial Statistics II) I believe after the June sitting of next year. If you liked P you should definitely enjoy studying for C.
Yea, the change next year is what's pushing me to do this sooner. Plus, as crazy as this sounds, I kinda miss studying/learning new material.I think I heard you need to have passed this before July 2018 to get credit for the new exams. Does that mean we can pass the June 2018 exam and still get credit? Based off of this https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...ransition.aspx it looks like February is the last window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcuandon View Post
FYI, there is a LOT of material and it builds on itself nicely from the 1 month Ive been studying it. Its very dense... and personally, I feel the ASM is horrible at explaining some new ideas.
Really? I thought I heard that C is really disjointed which makes studying harder. I hope you're right, that'll make it a little easier if it builds off itself. As for ASM, I'm not sure how I feel about the manual even though everyone says it's amazing. I used it for a little bit in FM and MFE. I kinda liked it for FM, and didn't at all for MFE. I'm just gonna stick with Actex since I've passed all my exams using it as my main studying manual, and supplementing ADAPT or whatever else for more help/practice.

Last edited by Cavaliere; 03-21-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

This is not quite correct. The document you pointed out is the dates for inclusion on the June 2018 list for ASA. You can't make the June ASA list by taking C in February 2018, but you can still take C in June 2018 in order to get credit for either STAM or MAS-II.

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDoctorG View Post
This is not quite correct. The document you pointed out is the dates for inclusion on the June 2018 list for ASA. You can't make the June ASA list by taking C in February 2018, but you can still take C in June 2018 in order to get credit for either STAM or MAS-II.
It'd be nice if you're right, but the CA site https://www.coachingactuaries.com/20...ecommendations never mentions June 2018, only February 2018. The latest date I saw was March 2018, but that was for MFE. Either way, I wouldn't want to cut it that close. I'd try to pass first time in October, or in the retake in February.

I should apply for my econ and finance VEE so I can get the credit before the transition. Based on the CA page, I should also try to get the stat VEE out of the way. Apparently having the stats VEE gives SRM credit and will be one less exam to worry about if you want to become an ASA. They very highly recommend this. They also recommend passing C before the changes. The new exam is supposedly longer, and comes with the uncertainty of a new exam.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

Everything that you have said is correct if you are attempting to make the June 2018 ASA list, as far as I am aware.

However, it is true that there will be a June 2018 sitting for C, or at least that the SOA has not suggested otherwise, and it is true that passing any sitting of C will provide credit for MAS-II or STAM.

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDoctorG View Post
Everything that you have said is correct if you are attempting to make the June 2018 ASA list, as far as I am aware.

However, it is true that there will be a June 2018 sitting for C, or at least that the SOA has not suggested otherwise, and it is true that passing any sitting of C will provide credit for MAS-II or STAM.
Yea, you have to be right.

I just realized how dumb I am. If you wouldn't get credit for it, then why would there even be a sitting for it (assuming there is a sitting, and they don't remove it for whatever crazy reason).
Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Predictive Analytics& FAP
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

https://www.coachingactuaries.com/20...ecommendations
Actuarial: LTAM | STAM | SRM
Advanced: (e-Learning)FAP, (Project)Predictive Analytics
Seminar: APC