Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

I got Mahler's manual today, and borrowed the 4th edition of Loss Models from my work library. I read through the first parts of the manual, but didn't really start with the actual material just yet. I'll start tomorrow. I see that the manual has a 14-week plan, which I think I'll try following. This will take me out to almost the end of June. I think that'll give me time to go back through, work more of the problems, go through the harder material, and work on anything I'm weak on.

The manual is monstrous, so I'll have to see how realistic this is. I'm usually slow in going through new material, and I like to read the textbook, too, so I might have to stretch this out. The good thing is that I have some time before October, so I have some room to alter the schedule, or take more time on a second pass through.

Anyone else getting started? Bought manuals, etc.?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
I saw this the other day. I have C and the FAP modules left to do. I think I have a shot at making it before the transition, but it could be tight. I had planned to start the FAP after I take C in October (assuming I can pass it), but I've been warned that the modules and assessments can take a long time to be graded, so I may run up against the deadline.

One thing I thought about was that I might be able to get everything in before each respective deadline, except that maybe the APCs will fill up and I won't be able to sign up to attend one by May 2018. I would imagine that people will rush to make the deadline and fill up the available slots. I checked the APC list right now, last updated March 9, and it looks like the next available slot in North America is in July! How will it be next year?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:25 AM
SOA

Studying for SRM/Predictive Analytics
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
I got Mahler's manual today, and borrowed the 4th edition of Loss Models from my work library. I read through the first parts of the manual, but didn't really start with the actual material just yet. I'll start tomorrow. I see that the manual has a 14-week plan, which I think I'll try following. This will take me out to almost the end of June. I think that'll give me time to go back through, work more of the problems, go through the harder material, and work on anything I'm weak on.

The manual is monstrous, so I'll have to see how realistic this is. I'm usually slow in going through new material, and I like to read the textbook, too, so I might have to stretch this out. The good thing is that I have some time before October, so I have some room to alter the schedule, or take more time on a second pass through.

Anyone else getting started? Bought manuals, etc.?
I considered Mahler, but got ASM and have it on the side as a reference. My worry was time, so I know that's where TIA pays off. I'm on a plan to get the entire learning done by May 9th! That'll leave me time to use ADAPT and open ASM to concentrate on specific sections i'm struggling on PE questions with, so i can up my earned level to at least 6. I'll have time on my side and I'll consider Mahler exams, but will see how it goes with ADAPT first.
Advanced:FAP, PA
Seminar: APC
Old 03-22-2017, 01:53 PM
SOA

Is anyone planning to study for both MLC and C for the october sitting?
Really trying to make it for ASA 2018, and I think it's too late for me to squeeze in C in June, so im going to shoot for October. Also, the October sitting for MLC is the last if you're trying to make it for july 2018.
Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:35 PM
CAS

Studying for C
College: University of Delaware Alumnus
Favorite beer: New Belgium Fat Tire

Hey guys!

I'm currently aiming to sit in October. Probably going to order TIA once it gets a bit closer to the end of the month. I may also get the textbook as reference, but I'm not sure how necessary that is. Once it gets closer I will be moving to ADAPT for the 90 or 60 day subscription.

Honestly thinking about taking OC1 in the meantime. I figure I could probably get through the material in a month and sit at the end of April/beginning of May. Any suggestions on whether or not I should try to squeeze this in? I figure it may be a smart idea since I have a bit of momentum going still from just passing MFE.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:55 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
From what I've heard, 2.5 months is likely not enough unless you have previous exposure and all the time in the world to study. I'm getting married labour day weekend so October is my goal, but there's a chance I'll end up too busy and not write until February. I've seen about half to three quarters of the material in university courses but it was > 3 years ago. Planning on reading through Loss Models then coming up with a plan of attack once I've finished with that.
My first sitting of C was 2 weeks before I got married. There was too much going on and I was lucky to get the 5 that I did. I'd try to be done with the material by labor day and come back from honeymooning (if you're doing that) with only practice exams to go through if possible.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaNG View Post
Also, the October sitting for MLC is the last if you're trying to make it for july 2018.
Thoughts?
I wish I could remember, but I just read somewhere this morning that as long as you take the exam before July 2018 (and pass, obviously) you should get credit, even if your official results are after July 2018. So, you should be able to take MLC in spring or C in June 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoosetheMoose View Post
Honestly thinking about taking OC1 in the meantime. I figure I could probably get through the material in a month and sit at the end of April/beginning of May. Any suggestions on whether or not I should try to squeeze this in? I figure it may be a smart idea since I have a bit of momentum going still from just passing MFE.
I'd like to first say I know nothing of OC1/2, but here's my input. We have 7 months until October, which is more than enough time to study for C/4. It might be a smart idea to get OC1 out of the way now since you have so much time for C. Also, take it from me, it's a little hard to get back into studying after stopping. After I passed MFE in November, I kinda wanted to immediately start studying C. I decided to take a break for a few months and it's a little hard getting back into it. Ride that high of passing MFE!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM
CAS

Studying for C
College: University of Delaware Alumnus
Favorite beer: New Belgium Fat Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavec View Post
I'd like to first say I know nothing of OC1/2, but here's my input. We have 7 months until October, which is more than enough time to study for C/4. It might be a smart idea to get OC1 out of the way now since you have so much time for C. Also, take it from me, it's a little hard to get back into studying after stopping. After I passed MFE in November, I kinda wanted to immediately start studying C. I decided to take a break for a few months and it's a little hard getting back into it. Ride that high of passing MFE!
I know exactly what you mean. I failed MFE in November and wanted to take a few week break before getting back to studying for the March sitting...then the "few weeks" inadvertently turned into 2 months. OC1 it is then! A month should be fine, I'll take the exam at the end of April and then start really studying for C. Still going to try to fit in some C material in while looking over the OC1 stuff though.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:18 PM
SOA

Got ASM today!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: wild ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
My first sitting of C was 2 weeks before I got married. There was too much going on and I was lucky to get the 5 that I did. I'd try to be done with the material by labor day and come back from honeymooning (if you're doing that) with only practice exams to go through if possible.
Haha, we should consider ourselves lucky for finding spouses that put up with our constant solitary study sessions for too many years. I'm hoping to be done with the material well before labour day. The plan right now is to treat this as if I really am writing it up until the day of registration. If I'm not 100% ready, all factors included, I'm going to treat it as if I failed and take 4-6 weeks off from studying for the wedding stuff. Then I'll jump back into it from the beginning and go through everything a second time followed by grinding problems for a month or two. Trying to land an actuarial job through all of this too. Definitely going to be an extremely busy year lol.