Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-23-2017, 05:16 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
Haha, we should consider ourselves lucky for finding spouses that put up with our constant solitary study sessions for too many years. I'm hoping to be done with the material well before labour day. The plan right now is to treat this as if I really am writing it up until the day of registration. If I'm not 100% ready, all factors included, I'm going to treat it as if I failed and take 4-6 weeks off from studying for the wedding stuff. Then I'll jump back into it from the beginning and go through everything a second time followed by grinding problems for a month or two. Trying to land an actuarial job through all of this too. Definitely going to be an extremely busy year lol.
Truth. My wife is still working on her dissertation so it goes both ways in our case currently. It will definitely get busy. Doable though for sure.
COP
Old 03-24-2017, 05:55 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for C
College: University of Waterloo; Alumni
Favorite beer: Block 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
Truth. My wife is still working on her dissertation so it goes both ways in our case currently. It will definitely get busy. Doable though for sure.
Fair enough, my fiancee is working through some pretty easy certification stuff so she just gets to laugh at my pain. I'll get my revenge when she has to push a baby out one day. Equally painful as becoming an actuary, right? lol

Btw, how useful was reading the text compared to ASM? I usually skip reading the reccommended textbooks all together, just use for reference, but I happened to have loss models so I figured I'd start reading. Just wondering if it might be more efficient to skip the text again and just buy ASM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Fair enough, my fiancee is working through some pretty easy certification stuff so she just gets to laugh at my pain. I'll get my revenge when she has to push a baby out one day. Equally painful as becoming an actuary, right? lol

Btw, how useful was reading the text compared to ASM? I usually skip reading the reccommended textbooks all together, just use for reference, but I happened to have loss models so I figured I'd start reading. Just wondering if it might be more efficient to skip the text again and just buy ASM.

I'm reading the textbook, also. I've been procrastinating, but I've read chapters 1 and 2. I have Mahler's manual, also, so, I'll be trying to go through both, reading the textbook chapters corresponding to the sections of the manual. I find it helpful to have two sources to read (at least, I did with MLC and MFE).
Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post

I'm reading the textbook, also. I've been procrastinating, but I've read chapters 1 and 2. I have Mahler's manual, also, so, I'll be trying to go through both, reading the textbook chapters corresponding to the sections of the manual. I find it helpful to have two sources to read (at least, I did with MLC and MFE).
I just finished chapter 3. I found it super dense, lots of little things to remember. I guess it will get easier to read as I get back into it. I havent read math textbook in a while.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 AM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
I just finished chapter 3. I found it super dense, lots of little things to remember. I guess it will get easier to read as I get back into it. I havent read math textbook in a while.
I haven't finished chapter 3 yet, but I'm in the middle of it. It reads as a review chapter, covering information that I suppose we should already know. Actually, I was surprised that there were some items from MLC. I was expecting the syllabus to cover more of the "short-term" insurance topics.

Just keep it up and you'll probably get used to the style. Maybe the later chapters won't be so dense.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
I haven't finished chapter 3 yet, but I'm in the middle of it. It reads as a review chapter, covering information that I suppose we should already know. Actually, I was surprised that there were some items from MLC. I was expecting the syllabus to cover more of the "short-term" insurance topics.

Just keep it up and you'll probably get used to the style. Maybe the later chapters won't be so dense.
Yeah, it was a lot of review initially, but I've been out of school for so long, it all seems kinda new again. I finished chapter 4 yesterday, it was much easier to read. It's starting to pique my interest though, so that's a good sign.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Non-Actuary

Landed an internship so I'm officially in for this to be a 4 exam/internship candidate next fall
Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Yeah, it was a lot of review initially, but I've been out of school for so long, it all seems kinda new again. I finished chapter 4 yesterday, it was much easier to read. It's starting to pique my interest though, so that's a good sign.
I understand. I've been out of school for a while, too. The "review" will be very helpful for me. And yes, finding interest in it definitely helps! I think I may enjoy this material more than MFE.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqbrooks14 View Post
Landed an internship so I'm officially in for this to be a 4 exam/internship candidate next fall
Congratulations! You shouldn't have a problem getting something full-time. Is this your last semester?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:15 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
I'm doing TIA and set my exam date as June. I'm currently on A.5.1 and have to do 4 lessons per day until March 31, then only 2 per day after i catch up. That'll leave me a month for practice exams and practice problems. I probably will still just put extra time doing ASM problems after that and maybe 1 practice exam every couple days and sit in Oct.

For all those above who were wondering about ASM which i have and started using, it's very thorough and seems to be another top notch work of Dr. W. It's pretty awesome in my opinion!
Wait you set your exam date as June? Are you trying to catch up for the June setting and have a month left? I don't understand you said you are sitting in October?