Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 07-02-2017, 05:35 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Houston
Favorite beer: Franziskaner hefe-weisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
Keep in mind that the Stats VEE is worth an exam in the new structure. I'd knock that out first.
It would not be impossible to start FAP after MLC and finish before the cutoff, but would require a lot of your free time.
Focus on MLC to make sure you only have to take it once, its definitely a tough exam.
well keep in mind that in order to not be impacted by the change in schedule, not only would this individual have to complete the modules after the exam (scheduled for october 27th), but also factor in the time it would take the SOA overlords to evaluate their final assessment, complete the APC and have their name listed in the june 2018 list of new associates. anything apart from that would require them to be subject to the tyranny of the new schedule.

oh do keep in mind that MLC results are not posted before January 2018.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:41 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Thanks for your feedback and checking out our new manual.

Our goal is to help students to study efficiently. The new manual is created so that it teaches the concepts concisely and then illustrates how to apply them with examples. Then, to practice, we encourage our students to do quizzes in Adapt. Because Adapt has a large pool of questions, we believe our students should use Adapt to practice directly, and hence we do not have practice problems in our manual.

From our experience, many students spend too much time reading a text or a manual relative to practicing. We want to help students to stay exam-focused and invest more time in practicing rather than reading, as we believe practicing promotes active learning, and is the best way to prepare for the exam.

To give you a better idea how other sections in our manual look like, we just added Section 2 to the free trial as well. Feel free to check them out and let us know if you have any thoughts.

Have a nice day!
Tong,

As you guys develop the videos lectures, do you suppose that the current release schedule would be achieved? I noticed that the last sections are not released till later September, leaving less than a month before the exam.

Furthermore, what is the recommended strategy here:
Do each section of the video lectures and then attempt ADAPT or other questions, or complete each sub-section and then attempt ADAPT?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:41 AM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: BU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
Keep in mind that the Stats VEE is worth an exam in the new structure. I'd knock that out first.
It would not be impossible to start FAP after MLC and finish before the cutoff, but would require a lot of your free time.
Focus on MLC to make sure you only have to take it once, its definitely a tough exam.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of knocking out the VEE before the end of July (CoachingActuaries, probably) then hitting MLC hard. That would give me right around three full months of preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade.runner View Post
well keep in mind that in order to not be impacted by the change in schedule, not only would this individual have to complete the modules after the exam (scheduled for october 27th), but also factor in the time it would take the SOA overlords to evaluate their final assessment, complete the APC and have their name listed in the june 2018 list of new associates. anything apart from that would require them to be subject to the tyranny of the new schedule.

oh do keep in mind that MLC results are not posted before January 2018.
This is why I was considering starting the modules during my preparation for MLC. I certainly wouldn't write the IA before sitting for the exam, but if I could knock out some of the early modules it will allow me to complete the IA that much sooner after MLC.

I also have to keep in mind that all this hinges on me passing everything on the first try, which has worked for my first four prelims, but I do NOT take for granted. We'll see how things go.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA

VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Old 07-03-2017, 02:05 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade.runner View Post
Tong,

As you guys develop the videos lectures, do you suppose that the current release schedule would be achieved? I noticed that the last sections are not released till later September, leaving less than a month before the exam.

Furthermore, what is the recommended strategy here:
Do each section of the video lectures and then attempt ADAPT or other questions, or complete each sub-section and then attempt ADAPT?
Blade Runner,

Thanks for asking. Yes, the current release schedule is achievable. So far, we have been on track with the release schedule.

The recommended strategy is: read the manual and/or watch the video lectures for a sub-section, then practice by doing quiz from that sub-section in Adapt.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:27 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Blade Runner,

Thanks for asking. Yes, the current release schedule is achievable. So far, we have been on track with the release schedule.

The recommended strategy is: read the manual and/or watch the video lectures for a sub-section, then practice by doing quiz from that sub-section in Adapt.

Hope this helps!
ok perfect. and the new format looks rather well done! kudos to your video editing team and Dr. Kester.

the only thing that i was hoping to see more of is more examples accompanying the videos with the solutions (much like the legacy videos from Dr. Weishaus).
Old 07-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Non-Actuary

I haven't been back on the boards lately, but will this sitting be the last MLC offered?

Last edited by gmajor; 07-10-2017 at 07:52 PM..
Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM Module
College: U of Manitoba, Class of '19

This is the last sitting to get MLC if you want to get ASA before the curriculum change.

There is still another MLC offered in Spring 2018, which can still be used for transition credit toward the new Long-Term Actuarial Mathematics Exam under the new syllabus.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:58 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak11111 View Post
This is the last sitting to get MLC if you want to get ASA before the curriculum change.

There is still another MLC offered in Spring 2018, which can still be used for transition credit toward the new Long-Term Actuarial Mathematics Exam under the new syllabus.
Indeed. Thus, I am expecting a large number of candidates, or at least a 'larger' number of candidates (than usual) would be attempting the exam in the next two sittings.

I dont know if that would necessarily impact the passing score, but I feel I had to attempt it in November as the next non-busy period I would get for a concerted effort at an exam this complex would not be till late 2018. Thereby delaying the entire process by over a year.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Non-Actuary

College: you have never heard of it
Favorite beer: chocolate milk

I predict a sub 35% overall pass rate.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenlee View Post
I predict a sub 35% overall pass rate.
yes. since the pool of exam takers will be larger than usual.