Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 04-27-2017, 10:24 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University
Default Coaching Actuaries Manual and Video Lessons

Greetings!

We are excited to announce our brand new online manual and video lessons. You can learn more about these products here.

If you have any questions, please contact us at support@coachingactuaries.com.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 AM
SOA

Who is the person teaching the video lessons? Are they similar in nature to the FM video lessons?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Non-Actuary

College: you have never heard of it
Favorite beer: chocolate milk

It's Abraham Weishaus, and I don't know if it is the same person from FM. He sounds like he is from the northeast (New York?) if that helps.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:10 PM
SOA

I can appreciate Dave Kester's initiative to improve all of the video content for coachingactuaries with a more professional, concise and visually appealing format. Does this mean, however, that coachingactuaries will no longer offer the video content produced by Dr. Weishaus?

One of coachingactuaries greatest assets was offering video content created by the a/s/m manual author that surpassed competitors in terms of depth and the instructor's expertise. Despite the shortcomings of outdated audio/video quality and a sometimes dry presentation, I found this to be a valuable and unique advantage to using coachingactuaries. Was Dr. Weishaus involved at all in the creation of this new product?

I would still say that I find the new format and presentation to have many advantages and I imagine it was a tremendous effort to produce the new content. It is also quite polished and professional relative to the content provided by other sites.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:55 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Issac View Post
Who is the person teaching the video lessons? Are they similar in nature to the FM video lessons?
The person teaching the new video lessons is Coach Dave Kester. Yes, it will be consistent with the nature of the FM video lessons.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:59 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
I can appreciate Dave Kester's initiative to improve all of the video content for coachingactuaries with a more professional, concise and visually appealing format. Does this mean, however, that coachingactuaries will no longer offer the video content produced by Dr. Weishaus?

One of coachingactuaries greatest assets was offering video content created by the a/s/m manual author that surpassed competitors in terms of depth and the instructor's expertise. Despite the shortcomings of outdated audio/video quality and a sometimes dry presentation, I found this to be a valuable and unique advantage to using coachingactuaries. Was Dr. Weishaus involved at all in the creation of this new product?

I would still say that I find the new format and presentation to have many advantages and I imagine it was a tremendous effort to produce the new content. It is also quite polished and professional relative to the content provided by other sites.
The new MLC videos are instructed by Coach Dave Kester, FSA, MAAA, and are based on the new Coaching Actuaries' MLC online manual. Coach Kester is our instructor for both P and FM, and he is now providing instruction for MLC as well.

If you are interested in the videos by Dr. Weishaus (Abe), those are still available for purchase on our website. Dr. Weishaus is not involved in creating the new video lessons.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:16 PM
SOA

This has been on my mind since I first did ADAPT for exam P way back: where is Dave from? His accent is so wacky, I can't place it.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:31 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLAND View Post
This has been on my mind since I first did ADAPT for exam P way back: where is Dave from? His accent is so wacky, I can't place it.
Dave is from Iowa!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 PM
CAS SOA

Greetings!

We are now offering a free trial of our MLC manual, as well as a free trial of our video lessons. No credit card is required.

If you are interested in a free trial of the manual, go to this page and click on "Free Trial" at the bottom of the page.

If you are interested in a free trial of the videos, go to this page and click on "Free Video Trial".

If you have any questions, please contact us at support@coachingactuaries.com.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:15 PM
SOA

Are the videos alone sufficient to learn the material? or are they more a supplement for the manual?