Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-21-2017, 01:43 AM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LikE-.-oMg* View Post
Are the videos alone sufficient to learn the material? or are they more a supplement for the manual?
Some students prefer to study through reading while some prefer having an instructor to walk you through the concepts. The video lessons are designed to satisfy the second group. The video lessons are based on the manual, but contains additional remarks from the instructor that makes the concepts dance and more chewable!

To prepare for the exam efficiently, we recommend our users to read the manual and/or watch the video lessons, work through the examples, and practice with quizzes in Adapt.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 PM
CAS SOA

We now offer a free trial of the manual as well as videos that covers two sections (Survival Model and Insurance).

If you are interested in a free trial of the manual, go to this page and click on "Free Trial" at the bottom of the page.

If you are interested in a free trial of the videos, go to this page and click on "Free Video Trial".

As mentioned in my other post, our goal is to help students to study efficiently. The new manual is created so that it teaches the concepts concisely and then illustrates how to apply them with examples. Then, to practice, we encourage our students to do quizzes in Adapt. Because Adapt has a large pool of questions, we believe our students should use Adapt to practice directly, and hence we do not have practice problems in our manual.

From our experience, many students spend too much time reading a text or a manual relative to practicing. We want to help students to stay exam-focused and invest more time in practicing rather than reading, as we believe practicing promotes active learning, and is the best way to prepare for the exam.

Feel free to check out the free trial and we'd love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited by tkt; 06-23-2017 at 07:30 PM..
Old 06-27-2017, 09:33 PM
SOA

What are the main differences between the ASM video lessons from Dr. Weishaus and the upcoming coaching actuaries video lessons? Do they both cover the same material?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:00 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscheese View Post
What are the main differences between the ASM video lessons from Dr. Weishaus and the upcoming coaching actuaries video lessons? Do they both cover the same material?
Yes, they cover the same material, but with different style. The new videos are instructed by Dave Kester, who is also the video instructor for our P and FM courses. To identify which style that you prefer, you can check out the sample videos on our website.

Dave's video: https://www.coachingactuaries.com/MLC/Video-Lessons
Dr. Weishaus' video: https://www.coachingactuaries.com/ML...ional-Products

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Université Laval

Hi, I have a question about the Coaching Actuaries manual

The reason I usually like having an online version of a manual instead of paper is the ability to quickly search (CTRL-F) what I'm looking for. That works when it is one big file, but doesn't work so well when it is separated in several different sections.

I have looked at your trial and that is what annoys me. Is there any way I could look up in every categories at once, like a search tool? Let's say I'm looking for one specific thing, I'd like to just quickly find it without having to figure out in which chapter it should be discussed. For example, I wanna quickly find information about Gompertz's law without having to go in section 1.4.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevil View Post
Hi, I have a question about the Coaching Actuaries manual

The reason I usually like having an online version of a manual instead of paper is the ability to quickly search (CTRL-F) what I'm looking for. That works when it is one big file, but doesn't work so well when it is separated in several different sections.

I have looked at your trial and that is what annoys me. Is there any way I could look up in every categories at once, like a search tool? Let's say I'm looking for one specific thing, I'd like to just quickly find it without having to figure out in which chapter it should be discussed. For example, I wanna quickly find information about Gompertz's law without having to go in section 1.4.
Jdevil,

Unfortunately this feature is currently unavailable. Our development team will add this in the future. In the meantime, you may perform the usual browser search, although this helps for only one subsection at a time.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:36 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Université Laval

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Jdevil,

Unfortunately this feature is currently unavailable. Our development team will add this in the future. In the meantime, you may perform the usual browser search, although this helps for only one subsection at a time.
Hi, thanks for the quick answer

Do you know how far should that future be? If we're talking about a month than I'd be fine with that but otherwise it is a bit annoying. Actually, just the option to be able to view all sub-sections at once would also solve that issue.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:22 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevil View Post
Hi, thanks for the quick answer

Do you know how far should that future be? If we're talking about a month than I'd be fine with that but otherwise it is a bit annoying. Actually, just the option to be able to view all sub-sections at once would also solve that issue.
Our development team is planning on adding new features to the manual in late August or early September. The new features will not be available until mid of September or later.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 PM
CAS SOA

Greetings!

For those of you planning to take MLC in Spring 2018, feel free to check out our free trials to the online manual and video lessons.

Have a great winter break!