Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 PM
SOA

College: Going to school for axe throwing
Favorite beer: Blue Point No Apologies Double IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel.fel View Post
i dont know, i got an answer so... unless its a total red herring. i remembr i was missing something for awhile and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. ibut once i fixedthat i got an answer

i dont know how you guys remember your answers though lmao.. or the questions.
NSFW mnemonics
Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 PM
SOA

i cant remember A,B,C,D,E but if you give me a specific question and answers i might beable to remember what i put. atlest for the next 24 hours.
SOA

College: Providence College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo99 View Post
Yes it was. The derivative would have been just what's inside the integral at time t.
Yeah, I remember I saw that one and initially freaked out. but when you take the derivative of the integral, its just whats left inside @ t=10.5.

Last edited by cixelsidmaikool; 10-30-2017 at 08:38 AM..
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo99 View Post
There were 1000 lives, and it was asking for the probability or percentile of something, don't recall. Answer choices were 14% to 16%

I don't remember which number that was, maybe 4? I used binomial with p being probability of sick or healthy at beginning year 3 and n is 1000. I got 1- phi of 1.101 which is .1335 but the closest answer was 13.6% so not sure if I did something wrong
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsidmaikool View Post
I got 19 on the first run through; doesn't guarantee that I got it right, just that I didn't guess.

The only two that aren't looking good for me are the two toss-ups, 13 (cash flow) and 17 (UL). I guessed on 13 but initially felt pretty good on 17, but now I'm questioning whether I made a mistake there.
What was 13 again?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkal View Post
I don't remember which number that was, maybe 4? I used binomial with p being probability of sick or healthy at beginning year 3 and n is 1000. I got 1- phi of 1.101 which is .1335 but the closest answer was 13.6% so not sure if I did something wrong
i did prob of being sick at the beg of year 3 (so two time periods) then 1000*prob and variance is 1000*(1-prob)*prob and then did the normal approx.
it wasn't four because i struggled with four.. and i remember totally guessing that.
SOA

Quote:
i dont know, i got an answer so... unless its a total red herring. i remembr i was missing something for awhile and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. ibut once i fixedthat i got an answer

i dont know how you guys remember your answers though lmao.. or the questions.
Most calculators have memory functions with variables A-E, so toward the end if you have time some candidates might just code in a strings of letters (ie ABECDBE...) and just recall that without needing to remember what the question was since the SOA will release the exams later.
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngxxx081 View Post
Most calculators have memory functions with variables A-E, so toward the end if you have time some candidates might just code in a strings of letters (ie ABECDBE...) and just recall that without needing to remember what the question was since the SOA will release the exams later.
lmao right. i didn't have time
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
i did prob of being sick at the beg of year 3 (so two time periods) then 1000*prob and variance is 1000*(1-prob)*prob and then did the normal approx.
it wasn't four because i struggled with four.. and i remember totally guessing that.
Didn't it ask for sick or healthy at time 3? Ugh maybe that's where I went wrong because my answer wasn't quite on there
Old 10-27-2017, 10:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkal View Post
Didn't it ask for sick or healthy at time 3? Ugh maybe that's where I went wrong because my answer wasn't quite on there
yeah oops, sick or healthy
so i did 1-p(dead). since it seemed easier