Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
SOA

Hi,

Are there any new updated formula sheet or study notes with the new material (UL) that people can share and upload in this forum? Sharing is the best way to help each other!!

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 PM
SOA

Sitting for the MLC! Thanks for the posted reviews!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 AM
SOA

College: HOME

Thank you all great actuaries,
really help me so much!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: UCSB Alumni
Favorite beer: Supplication Ale

The Illustrative Life Table from the SOA made me cringe, so I fed it through optical character recognition, imported it into Excel, cleaned up what OCR missed, and produced a clean copy.

I did a quick check by dividing adjacent factors and looking for any irregularities, so pretty sure it's good. Let me know if I missed anything.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Illustrative Life Table.pdf (96.0 KB, 1163 views)
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Illustrative Life Table.xlsx (45.1 KB, 549 views)

Last edited by DG11; 04-06-2013 at 09:04 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM

College: University of Kansas Alumnus
Default Study Notes

Here are some study notes that I put together. If you end up using them, let me know if you find any errors or anything to add.

Details:
  • It's set-up for landscape-oriented, legal-sized paper, but kept to 10 pages (plus the first page of prob/FM review)
  • I used Word's equation editor, so there were some limitations on notation. For example, term insurance is denoted with a prime above the age, rather than a 1.
  • At some point I plan to create a semi-blank version for practice and will upload it if I complete it.
  • h/t to the blackdog29 for the posted MLC notes in three parts. My notes are mostly a reorganization of those, with a few updates and additions.

UPDATE: 20130422 new file included in next page of discussion

Last edited by mathercize; 04-22-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean

@DG11 and mathercize

thanks guys, these are some great additions!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: NONE! Whatever gets the job done!

Thanks for the files!!!!!!!

No longer an undergrad.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: UCSB Alumni
Favorite beer: Supplication Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathercize View Post
Here are some study notes that I put together. If you end up using them, let me know if you find any errors or anything to add.

Details:
  • It's set-up for landscape-oriented, legal-sized paper, but kept to 10 pages (plus the first page of prob/FM review)
  • I used Word's equation editor, so there were some limitations on notation. For example, term insurance is denoted with a prime above the age, rather than a 1.
  • At some point I plan to create a semi-blank version for practice and will upload it if I complete it.
  • h/t to the blackdog29 for the posted MLC notes in three parts. My notes are mostly a reorganization of those, with a few updates and additions.

UPDATE: 20130411 new file
Thanks! Looks pretty good, I'll be going over it in more detail later to compare to my own notes. Blank version geared toward quizzing would be nice too.

One formula I've found useful on P, FM, MFE, and MLC so far that I don't see here is a further generalized form of the Geometric Series to sum from m to n, as opposed to summing just from 0 to n.

Familiar Geometric Series

Generalized Geometric Series

Edit: Just in case imgur isn't loading the equations, generalized form is sum(k=m, n) r^k = ( r^m ( 1 - r^( n - m + 1 ) ) ) / ( 1 - r )

Last edited by DG11; 04-11-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7

Quote:

Details:

Thank you!!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Kaner3339

Quote:

Details:

Wow man nice. Thanks.

Edit: I think the last survivor relation for the lifetime RV T is stated incorrectly near the end.

Last edited by Kaner3339; 04-21-2013 at 03:34 PM..