Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 08-28-2017, 01:57 PM
SOA

College: Alumni
Default Insurer to Exit New York

Northwell's insurance company is leaving New York. They claim it is because of the federal risk adjustment program:

https://riverheadlocal.com/2017/08/2...l-subscribers/
Old 08-28-2017, 02:08 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Thanks!

Some painful typos in that news article ("it denied one companies claim for $70 million").

If they're required to pay $112 million in risk adjustment, then ostensibly their members were healthier than average and they should have been receiving excess premium beyond what was necessary to cover their claims (in other words, the problem was insufficient pricing, not risk adjustment payments). Alternatively, their coding processes may not have been consistent with best practices (and they were paying for things but not getting credit for them).

The risk corridors issue is a genuine one.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).

Last edited by DoctorNo; 08-28-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Thanks!

Some painful typos in that news article ("it denied one companies claim for $70 million").

If they're required to pay $112 million in risk adjustment, then ostensibly their members were healthier than average and they should have been receiving excess premium beyond what was necessary to cover their claims (in other words, the problem was insufficient pricing, not risk adjustment payments). Alternatively, their coding processes may not have been consistent with best practices (and they were paying for things but not getting credit for them).

Yea, I noticed the typos too!

Last edited by New York Actuary; 08-29-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Thanks!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm puzzled why in the fourth year of the program insurers still are having trouble understanding that good risk and low claims will result in a high risk assessment transfer. You can't have you cake and eat it too.

I also agree that it could be due to poor coding practices. However, my experience with claims systems and claims billing suggests that this impact is much smaller then many people claim. Before anyone jumps on me, I do understand that a poorly coded company will suffer compared to a well coded company. My experience at various companies reveals similar patterns of both systemic data issues and billing practices. In other words, I think (based upon a small size of six) that most companies are similar and therefore the risk model balances out fairly well.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM
SOA AAA

The thing about risk adjustment is that no one ever thinks that it's fair - people paying in think that they shouldn't have to pay in at all, and people receiving think that they should get more.

We looked a bit at the value of ACA coding improvement many months back, which in retrospect is still a fun read:

http://www.milliman.com/insight/2016...arket-effects/
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 08-29-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
... no one ever thinks that it's fair - people paying in think that they shouldn't have to pay in at all, and people receiving think that they should get more.
Robin Hood made it work, didn't he? I guess the Sheriff wasn't happy.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM

If anyone thinks its fair then it probably isn't working correctly.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:37 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:
The thing about risk adjustment is that no one ever thinks that it's fair - people paying in think that they shouldn't have to pay in at all, and people receiving think that they should get more.

We looked a bit at the value of ACA coding improvement many months back, which in retrospect is still a fun read:

http://www.milliman.com/insight/2016...arket-effects/
I have been on both sides of the equation. In full disclosure though, NY has had some of the most extreme gross values reported nationwide, especially in small group. I haven't dug heavily for papers with PMPM comparisons, but it does seem the volatility/swings in risk adjustment is of research there.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:51 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentialpi View Post
NY has had some of the most extreme gross values reported nationwide, especially in small group.
This doesn't surprise me, since the risk adjustment calculation is (essentially) based upon "what you'd have liked to have charged" less "what you were allowed to charge", and New York has significant restrictions on the second component.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
This doesn't surprise me, since the risk adjustment calculation is (essentially) based upon "what you'd have liked to have charged" less "what you were allowed to charge", and New York has significant restrictions on the second component.
Yes, NY requires 1:1 as opposed to 3:1 age rating. That alone increases transfers compared to other states. It also provides incentive for the youngest individuals to not purchase insurance which drives up the statewide average premium. So a double whammy.

But as someone pointed out, after four years carriers should know this by now.

Thanks for the link above Dr. No!