Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 01-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Code:
                 A     B     C     D     E     F     G     H
oirg            3D  Rdbl     P    2H    3C Dbl *    3N    S4
SW               P    2N    3C    2H    2C    3N    3C    D3
Klaymen          P    3N     P    2H    2C    3C    3C    S4
ST              1D    2N    3C    2H    2C    3H    3C    D3                                               
BTDT            1D  Rdbl     P    2H    2C   Dbl    3C    D3                                             
NN              3D    2N    3C    2H    2D   Dbl    3C    D3                                         
kmbrunskill     3D    2N    3C    2H    2C   Dbl    1C    D3
mathmajor        P    3N     P    2H    2C    3C    3C    CJ
4 Sigma                                                     
bill18           P    3N    3C    2H    3C    3C    3N    D3
Leaading         P    3N          2H    2C    3C    3C    D3
Leader on everything. 4Sigma not voting yet; some others close if anyone wants to lobby or change.

People might want to discuss meaning of bids on B and F. On B, 2N is a raise (limit or better) and Rdbl denies a hand suitable for a raise 2N. On G, oirg would prefer 3H if it was asking for a heart stopper. I couldn't find a meaning in the system notes. My personal interpretation would just be be a strong hand. Partner would often bid 3N with a heart stopper, possibly (but not necessarily) bidding 3N with a heart stopper even with 4 spades. With a heart stopper and 5 spades, my partners would always bid spades. Some might play it as asking for a heart stopper; it could also be Michaels.[/quote]
Old 01-05-2018, 04:35 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

B) Does rdbl imply no fit? Does 2 mean inverted minors over competition? With the competitive X and likely to run, hit game fast and let West figure out how to lead. He'll likely lead a major (east's X strongly suggests majors to me).

Why rdbl and let EW figure out their fit? or bid 2N and not 3 with 6-7 tricks in your hand?

F) Michaels is funky here. How do you respond? 3NT would ask for the minor but would it convey a stop? How do you play 3NT (although, at IMPs, might not want to across from a two suiter).

Dbl strongly implies 4 's to me. Is that not the case typically? Or is that just agreement? 3 waiting to hear a 3 bid is perfect. Or to hear 3NT, or a bid followed by your 4 reverse and potentially a rebid by P or agreement to a minor.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Maybe I'm counting non-club bids wrong ... isn't DBL leading on F?
Old 01-05-2018, 07:59 PM

By the way, regarding problem F, BWS2017 clearly has a cue of a weak two as specifically asking for a stopper. It's under VI Defensive Bidding Actions...A Initial Defensive Action Requirements...Special-situation defenses (d)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 PM

I'm surprised no one has suggested opening two diamonds on problem A. You want to show both suits. If you open one diamond, partner might not cooperate and might prefer to defend doubled, and also the opponents might have too much space. If you open three diamonds, it might go all pass, which won't be a victory when you belong in a spade game. If you open two diamonds, I can pretty much guarantee you'll get another turn.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici View Post
I'm surprised no one has suggested opening two diamonds on problem A. You want to show both suits. If you open one diamond, partner might not cooperate and might prefer to defend doubled, and also the opponents might have too much space. If you open three diamonds, it might go all pass, which won't be a victory when you belong in a spade game. If you open two diamonds, I can pretty much guarantee you'll get another turn.
Partner will never play you for five spades. He might work out seven diamonds, maybe, but you'll never get to spades. I won't open a weak two with a 4 card major (nor a void).
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 PM

Well, once partner works out that I have seven diamonds (and I can hardly be bidding three spades or four spades later on just 4-6 after a pass by him), he might ask himself why I only opened two diamonds and not three diamonds on a 4-7 hand....

Anyway, opening one diamond doesn't help that much either. Do you think you'll get the chance to rebid spades twice? Steve Robinson would open this hand one spade. Or you can pass and hope the opponents bid both clubs and hearts so that you can bid 2NT.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There Done That View Post
Maybe I'm counting non-club bids wrong ... isn't DBL leading on F?
You were right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici View Post
By the way, regarding problem F, BWS2017 clearly has a cue of a weak two as specifically asking for a stopper. It's under VI Defensive Bidding Actions...A Initial Defensive Action Requirements...Special-situation defenses (d)
That looks right. Thanks

Code:
                 A     B     C     D     E     F     G     H
oirg            3D  Rdbl     P    2H    3C    3H    3N    S4
SW               P    2N    3C    2H    2C  3N*   3C    D3
Klaymen          P    3N     P    2H    2C    3C    3C    S4
ST              1D    2N    3C    2H    2C    3H    3C    D3                                               
BTDT            1D  Rdbl     P    2H    2C   Dbl    3C    D3                                             
NN              3D    2N    3C    2H    2D   Dbl    3C    D3                                         
kmbrunskill     3D    2N    3C    2H    2C   Dbl    1C    D3
mathmajor        P    3N     P    2H    2C    3C    3C    CJ
4 Sigma                                                     
bill18           P    3N    3C    2H    3C    3C    3N    D3
Leaading         P    3N          2H    2C    3H     3C    D3

* Leaving my vote as 3N in the table so I know how to score what I initially chose.  For consensus, counting me in favor of 3H.
For now showing a Leader on everything. 3H and 3C are tied. If I had to break a tie, as of now I would choose 3H. With meanings clarified, we may get other changes of votes. 4Sigma not voting yet; some others close if anyone wants to lobby or change.

People might want to discuss meaning of bids on B. 2N is a raise (limit or better) and “Redouble shows a hand with 10+ HCP that is not suitable for a raise or a new suit bid.”

Last edited by Steve White; 01-05-2018 at 11:43 PM..
Old 01-06-2018, 12:04 AM

I'd like to change my answer on G to 3C after reading an article the other day.

I'm gonna compete to 3C at least anyways. Might as well
Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
B) Does rdbl imply no fit? Does 2 mean inverted minors over competition? With the competitive X and likely to run, hit game fast and let West figure out how to lead. He'll likely lead a major (east's X strongly suggests majors to me).

Why rdbl and let EW figure out their fit? or bid 2N and not 3 with 6-7 tricks in your hand?

F) Michaels is funky here. How do you respond? 3NT would ask for the minor but would it convey a stop? How do you play 3NT (although, at IMPs, might not want to across from a two suiter).

Dbl strongly implies 4 's to me. Is that not the case typically? Or is that just agreement? 3 waiting to hear a 3 bid is perfect. Or to hear 3NT, or a bid followed by your 4 reverse and potentially a rebid by P or agreement to a minor.
Rbdl says no fit
2D is natural. 3D is weak. 2NT is limit raise+. I'm not sure I understand the redoublers. To me it's either 2NT or 3NT

I double because I plan on bidding again after my partner says 2S. Then he will know I have a monster hand. Then hopefully he can place us in 3NT or somewhere else smart.

Last edited by kmbrunskill; 01-06-2018 at 12:12 AM..