Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:36 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by penciltree View Post
I, for one, welcome our new CAS underlings. Think of all the time you will save typing 3 instead of 4 chars in your credentials.
In FAQ, they say they will come up with new unified credential. I don't think FCASs are being converted to FSA.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUESUMMER View Post
wonder how many CAS members would veto.
I'm cynically wondering if the CAS is agreeing to all this for the purposes of fixing the preliminary exam travesty, and they fully expect their membership to vote this down.

Then it gives their leadership total cover to tell the SOA "Gee, we tried to merge... sorry. But let's at least move forward with joint prelims like we'd been saying all along."

If the only thing to come out of this is joint prelims, that's a huge win.

I'm fairly indifferent to the organizations full-on merging, but I assume that CAS members are going to be fairly skeptical. If it meant getting rid of SOA Soviet-style elections and having something more democratic instead then I guess I'm in favor.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
I would only approve this if the society takes a brand new name. Something like: American Actuarial Society or US Actuarial Society then a fellow would be a FAAS or FUSAS.

I wouldn’t assume the new combined entity will be the Society of Actuaries and all of a sudden I go from a FCAS to a FSA.
I have to think that they're going to have a whole new name that is distinct from both existing names. They specifically mentioned that we're all getting a new credential.

If they were retaining the SOA name and the ASA/FSA credentials then existing ASAs & FSAs wouldn't be getting a new credential, so I think we can safely assuming that's NOT what they're proposing.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc2142 View Post
In FAQ, they say they will come up with new unified credential. I don't think FCASs are being converted to FSA.
how else would we distinguish that we took the harder road?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:40 PM
Notes Contributor
CAS

I would hope the CAS leaders wouldn’t waste their time on this unless they thought they could sell it to the members to ultimately drum up support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
when they say members of both orgs vote, do they mean fellows only?
From the FAQ:
Quote:
Will members get to vote on this?

If both Boards approve the proposal, then the combination proposal would be presented to Fellows for a vote in early 2019. These votes would follow the bylaws of the respective organizations, which are outlined in the prior FAQ. Members of both organizations will have the final say on this proposal.

We expect both Boards to vote on the proposal by mid-November. If both Boards do not approve the proposal, then the proposal would not move forward (and there would be no member vote) at this time.

I'm sure we'll learn more soon, but it seems like an awfully large bite all at once. The IoA and FoA had a totally joint admissions process for a very long time (like, decades maybe?) before they actually merged into the I&FoA.
Aktüerler Derneği

Quote:
Vote requirements for each organization are two-thirds of the Fellows voting in favor (subject to some minimum voting participation).
Does that mean 2/3 of total FCAS voting in favor, or 2/3 of voting FCAS voting in favor?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by satogaeru View Post
Why? Serious question. Offering joint exams seems like a superfluous thing to spend time on given the context.

(fwiw, I'm not CAS but I am in health so I see benefits to a merger for my corner of the profession. If I were CAS, I'm not sure I would see it the same way.)
Because most college students have no idea which area they want to go into. And even if they think they know, a number of them will either be wrong, and/or end up getting a job on the other side of the aisle despite lack of preference and/or switch early in their career.

Furthermore, the SOA is currently starving the CAS of revenue from the prelims... exams that CAS members disproportionately helped develop!!! (On a volunteer basis, no less.) Shamefully, that was by design.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
SOA AAA

I am indifferent as well.

I predict it will be one org, but with more "power" or responsibility within each section than concentrated at the top. No reason for the CAS to "merge" otherwise. They will still want some control on "who gets in and who gets to do CAS work" via exams or modules or other hazing rites yet created.
Upside to this is that every other section could be afforded the same responsibilities.