Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General > Actuarial Study Manual & Seminar Specific Forum > Steve Paris Consulting Study Seminars
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Steve Paris Consulting Study Seminars SteveParisConsulting.com

Old 02-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold
Default MLC Seminar in Dallas (5 seats left as of Feb. 14)

I teach both traditional actuarial seminars and also seminars on demand. The seminars on demand that I offer I’ve labeled "Have Chalk – Will Travel".

UPCOMING TRADITIONAL SEMINAR OFFERINGS:

MLC Exam Seminar Dates:
05 Mar 2007 through 09 Mar 2007

Update: The location of the on-site week has changed and will be at Buck Consulting in Dallas, TX rather than Tallahassee, FL. Space is limited; as of Feb. 14 there are 5 seats left. Please use the link in my signature below to email me if you would like additional information.

I am offering a unique seminar for the 2007 Spring MLC exam. The structure of my seminar is what makes it unique. There will be an on-site week for the seminar in Tallahassee, FL, (changed to Dallas, TX) from March 5 through March 9, during which time we will cover all the topics on the MLC exam syllabus. We will meet from 9:00 am to noon and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm on each day of this week. You will then have 3 weeks to digest the material and review the problems we work during the on-site week.

Beginning Thursday, March 29, I will send you one practice exam per week for 5 weeks. I will separately send you the solutions to each practice exam. I suggest you take this practice exam each Saturday after you receive it, and do so under simulated exam conditions, i.e. give yourself from 9:00 am to noon to take the exam with no breaks and with no extra time allowed. After you've completed each practice exam, I'll ask you to contact me to discuss the exam. We will together decide what topics you need more assistance with. I will help you with these topics and send you additional problems to work if necessary.

There will be no practice exam on the Saturday of Easter weekend, April 7. The last practice exam, and solutions, will be sent to you on Thursday, May 3. This will give you about two weeks to review all of the examples and practice tests before taking the real thing at 8:30 am on May 17.

Materials - The notes for my seminar are available for free in this forum, or at my personal consulting and education website that you can link to from my signature. The information and formulas in the notes are available in any actuarial mathematics textbook or study guide. Please do not try to memorize the formulas for this exam. What you need to do is develop intuition so that the formulas make sense to you and you are not blindly memorizing them. The overwhelming majority of the formulas for this exam have verbal interpretations that make them easy to remember. I will help you with the intuition and verbal interpretations in my seminar. I expect that you will have read through the notes before attending my seminar, but we will start from the beginning. We will go over the notes and work examples to illustrate how to use the formulas. We will also discuss shortcuts for the formulas in commonly tested situations such as DML, GDML, CF, and UDD. We will work over 100 examples during the week you are in Tallahassee. After working these problems and the 150 other problems from the 5 practice tests, you will have worked every relevant problem from the last 6 years of posted SOA exams.

Cost - The tuition for this unique seminar is $850. Please make your check payable to Steve Paris and send to Steve Paris, 110 Farrier Lane, Crawfordville, FL 32327. Please include an email address with your payment so that I can give you verification of receipt. For additional information on the seminar or if you have any questions, please email me (see signature).

Due to the amount of individual attention each participant receives, there is a cap of 10 on attendance. As of Feb. 14, there are 5 seats left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAVE CHALK – WILL TRAVEL (HCWT) SEMINARS:
(Currently available for Exams P/1 and FM/2)

Format: The seminars are 16 hours in length and take place at your company. The seminar consists of traditional lecture and question and answer sessions covering all material tested on the actuarial exam.

Cost: The cost of this seminar is $500 per participant with a 2 person minimum. In addition, reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred will be invoiced at cost to the client. These expenses will include costs related to travel, including meals and lodging.

Materials needed: Students will need to purchase their own study material prior to the seminar. Seminar notes will be provided, but I suggest purchasing a study manual also. If you would like advice on the purchase of a study manual, please contact me.

Advantage of HCWT seminars: Since I will be coming to your office, I can give more one-on-one attention and focus the seminar to your associates’ needs. Also, since students will be attending the seminar with co-workers and not strangers, they will be more comfortable asking questions, thereby creating an atmosphere that will be more conducive to learning. Additionally, there is a cost advantage since travel expenses will be paid for me rather than for several associates.

If you think there may be a demand for a seminar offering at your company or in your area, please contact me by email (see signature) or call me at (850) 294-2252.

2005 Steve Paris Consulting

Last edited by Steve Paris; 02-14-2007 at 04:58 PM..