Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 12-26-2010, 04:44 PM
SOA

Studying for fill in the blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwentum View Post
I just finished chapter 7 I am going to skip the last part about this is probably going to haunt me, but hopefully I will have time to get back to it.
Merry Christmas!

Good job! I finished 9 yesterday! I'm going to review sections 3-9 today... then read through 10. I'll start problems for 10 tomorrow.

The stuff from: , I noticed going through the problems, is helpful in manipulating equations algebraically. Actually, really helpful! Most problems dwindled to some non-calculus derived solution (which I definitely prefer).

But that's just my opinion.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Cool

ok...my break is over on Jan 1st after passing FM in August and that is when i resume studying(ch5 archMLC). i have a 4th edition ASM and YufengGuos Arch MLC (2007) and a BA II plus professional. i know,..my books are outdated,...,but thankfully the material isnt much different from the present editions. i have wasted enough time already, and this blog just makes me feel more "behind time"...hopefully i'll finish the material by January end and have a 2-month question bombardment, then take "things" easy for a month before the exam.
Anyway this is just to say hi to everyone on this thread and success to us all!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for CAS Exam 7

I am only on section 8 and I already fell somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of formulas and equations.

I don't remember feeling like this for FM... Anyone else feel the same way? Any one have any tips or suggestions?? How much of the formula memorizing is actually that important?

I am already worried about "How the hell am I going to remember all this stuff when I get to section 40 or 50...."

Will the large amount of problems drill what I need to know into my head?? Regardless of the actual amount of time I take to sit down and memorize formulas?? At times, I feel a little lost on the deeper concept/theory of it and just see a million new formulas thrown at me...

uughhh
Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwunderlich View Post
I am only on section 8 and I already fell somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of formulas and equations.

I don't remember feeling like this for FM... Anyone else feel the same way? Any one have any tips or suggestions?? How much of the formula memorizing is actually that important?

I am already worried about "How the hell am I going to remember all this stuff when I get to section 40 or 50...."

Will the large amount of problems drill what I need to know into my head?? Regardless of the actual amount of time I take to sit down and memorize formulas?? At times, I feel a little lost on the deeper concept/theory of it and just see a million new formulas thrown at me...

uughhh
Just keep swimming...

The formulas will generally build upon themselves and as you get through the lessons you will start to identify the important formulas to know.

But yeah, it's a lot of material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
I thought the actual exam was very similar to one of the last 2 ASM practice exams, but perhaps those underestimate the difficulty of the exam.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

Lesson 8 is a tough one. It is long and is full of formulas. It wears most people down so don't be too disappointed. Use short study sessions if possible. They seem to be more effective (at least for me).
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Studying for VEEs & FAP
College: University at Buffalo Alumni
Favorite beer: Corona w/ Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwunderlich View Post

uughhh
The bolded seems more appropriate for C. For MLC, you'll be fine. You'll come across Ch. 8 topics later on anyways.

Ch. 8 was hell. I felt the same way going through it. But once you get past that hump, things go pretty smoothly through the insurance, annuities, premium, and reserves sections. Actually, reserves seemed to get kind of hard, then multiple lives and multiple decrements were easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
REPENT
THE END IS NIGH
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluan View Post
You sound way too excited about studying for 7.

A bit of studying will fix that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk View Post
Nope. 7 is the must pass of all must passes next spring. Can leave absolutely nothing to chance. Study schedule starts on November 15th. Is it nuts? Probably. Will I pass? Definitely. Will it be worth it? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk's blog
A bit of an early start for a second sitting, but this exam is a must pass, and there's no such thing as too much studying for a must pass
Old 12-30-2010, 05:25 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: depends on the day - local craft though!

In the end if you study well and work lots of problems the formulas won't be overwhelming for MLC. I think a lot of them make sense conceptually and in the end I only needed to look over maybe 5-10 formulas the night before the exam.

"Exam C/4 is the catch-all exam containing all mathematical material that doesn't fit easily into one of the other exams." -Abraham Weishaus, ASM manual

SBQ, ASA, EA
P FM MFE MLC C VEE (all 3)
FAP 1-8
EA-2L EA-2F

The best exam thread ever:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=193252
Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 AM
CAS

Just bought TIA's seminar. Will start studying on Monday.

Happy new year everyone!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Boddington's

Ordered ASM today. I'm going to just assume I passed MFE - the alternative would be too devastating.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Been really slacking on the studying front lately. I'm actually kind of way behind at this point. Will start up the hardcore studying next week after I find out my MFE result.