Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Also Flying J, I'd love to hear your argument for why sanitary productions should be exempt from sales tax.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. John Zoidberg View Post
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. Per usual, you are victimizing yourself to things that aren't there.

You use 'white knight' type ad homs much more frequently than I have seen the opposite in general, and other than the traditional DS/ao fan bickering, this thread has not had very much of what you are suggesting at all.
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
I'll say this, Europe's mandatory rule that annuity rates be the same for men and women doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also, Canada recently passed a rule omitting sanitary product sales from having sales tax charged on them. That makes no sense to me, the argument was it was discriminatory to tax them, because only women buy them. That is really really stupid to me, the point of sales tax is it applies to everything.....
This is not true. Most grocery items are deemed 'essentials' and are free of the sales tax, as a means of making the tax less regressive. Feminine hygiene products were simply added to the list of tax free items.

Quote:
I'm glad you've realized your original view was flawed and that it's fine for men to pay more for insurance to right past injustices.
Only an actuary can have a heated argument about gender inequality in insurance rating.

Quote:
Also Flying J, I'd love to hear your argument for why sanitary productions should be exempt from sales tax.
I didn't know they were!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:47 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuna View Post
Just saw this. I'm not going to address each one, but I have some questions on a few...

Free birth control covered by health plans - why is this a "Feminist issue"? Doesn't birth control also benefit men? I mean, it takes two to tango, right? Also, in many cases birth control is also a medication for various health issues. Why shouldn't that be covered? Finally, I don't think it's "free", I think it's just "covered." I pay for my birth control just like everything else covered under my plan.
To my knowledge, there are no birth control medications that men can take. Since men can never recover under the benefit, the expected costs of that benefit for men is zero, hence, charging them an expected cost > zero is "unfairly discriminatory"

Quote:
Mandatory coverage of child birth on all health policies - again, why is this just a women's issue? Why wouldn't men also want this? Benefits men who are having families, as well as men who don't want to cover huge lifetime medical costs for children who experience complications due to lack of maternal coverage. Having a baby is a health event. the only reason this "favors" women is that women are the ones who have babies. I don't think anyone would argue to not cover male pregnancies if they existed.
Again, men do not have babies, do not have prenatal care, do not have hospital bills related to birth. The health insurance contract with the man does not need to cover these costs since again, a man cannot recover under the policy.

Quote:
Prohibiting gender rating in medical coverage (but not other coverage where it benefits women to allow gender rating) - this one I can get on board with I guess. However, be careful what you ask for...men might get a break at age 25, but I wonder if it swings the other way at age 55.
It may, and if expected costs were consistent I have no issue with that.

Quote:
Requirement for companies to have lactation rooms - I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would object to this. It's a room, with a chair, a light, and an electrical outlet. It can be used for many other purposes as well. Is this really a burden?
I didn't realize this was "required." It makes good sense. I've had very good employees that were new moms and I was very glad my company offered these rooms since it kept them on site and working. If the company didn't have these rooms, I'd have made the case to create them or found a locking conference room for my employees that they could use for the purpose.

Quote:
OK, I ran out of steam.
Mostly I don't care about any of this, but it occasionally irritates me that Auto and life insurance can be higher for men, but that health coverage, annuities and pension payouts with similar cost-based discrepancies based upon gender are not allowed.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:50 PM

Whether or not tampons are taxed is such a trivial issue, I'm not even going to bother responding to it.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Surprisingly Not a Troll, MD
Non-Actuary

Studying for fellating shellfish
College: Alma Madda, Alma Fadda
Favorite beer: Anything Tom tells me isn't total crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
Oh please. That is an inane and ignorant statement. There is still a massive amount of sexism in today's culture. If you weren't so sad and mopey about your poor dating record, you'd see it.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Surprisingly Not a Troll, MD
Non-Actuary

Studying for fellating shellfish
College: Alma Madda, Alma Fadda
Favorite beer: Anything Tom tells me isn't total crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
Whether or not tampons are taxed is such a trivial issue, I'm not even going to bother responding to it.
Good talk, fam.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
To my knowledge, there are no birth control medications that men can take. Since men can never recover under the benefit, the expected costs of that benefit for men is zero, hence, charging them an expected cost > zero is "unfairly discriminatory"

Again, men do not have babies, do not have prenatal care, do not have hospital bills related to birth. The health insurance contract with the man does not need to cover these costs since again, a man cannot recover under the policy.

It may, and if expected costs were consistent I have no issue with that.

I didn't realize this was "required." It makes good sense. I've had very good employees that were new moms and I was very glad my company offered these rooms since it kept them on site and working. If the company didn't have these rooms, I'd have made the case to create them or found a locking conference room for my employees that they could use for the purpose.

Mostly I don't care about any of this, but it occasionally irritates me that Auto and life insurance can be higher for men, but that health coverage, annuities and pension payouts with similar cost-based discrepancies based upon gender are not allowed.
but aren't men having sex with these women who are taking birth control, thus it is helping them too? I'm not really seeing how this is just a female thing. also, same with babies. the prenatal care and costs of birthing a kid is for the guys kid too. it just happens to exit the woman's vagina. not seeing how this isn't for men as well.
Spoiler: