Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 03-26-2002, 12:25 PM

I had a conversation with my recruiter today, and found he forwarded my resume to the same position which I had applied few days ago. Will this less my chances to get contact from company? I am curious about what would the HRs in company do in this situation. Otherwise, are there any agreements between companies and recruiters? like if someone sent her/his resume by self while recruiters sent it as well, then s/he will not be count as one of recruiters' business.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:29 PM
urysohn

I would tell the recruiter to call the company and tell HR that they accidentally submitted your resume, that you had already done so. Don't use too friendly a tone while talking to the recruiter. Consider finding a new recruiter.

If you gave the recruiter full authority to submit your resume to anybody they chose without notifying or asking you first, then shame on you and I think you're stuck with whatever results.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:47 PM

Quote:
On 2002-03-26 12:29, urysohn wrote:
I would tell the recruiter to call the company and tell HR that they accidentally submitted your resume, that you had already done so. Don't use too friendly a tone while talking to the recruiter. Consider finding a new recruiter.

If you gave the recruiter full authority to submit your resume to anybody they chose without notifying or asking you first, then shame on you and I think you're stuck with whatever results.
I told them, recruiters, don't send out my resume without my permission. When he told about the position, he just said he "mentioned me" to the HR, but didn't said he gave him my resume. I think I should check this with him again.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:55 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

Do recruiters have any accountability for their actions? If they lie and mislead or operate in a fraudulent manner, is there any price to be paid other than potentially losing business?

Do we have any recourse? Not that I know of. Des anybody want to start namimg recruiters so we know who to avoid? Perhaps a community getting the word out will deter them from this kind of practice.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:12 PM
urysohn

Or it will get you sued for slander. If you're going to start naming names (in a published format), I'd make sure you have documentation in your hands.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:36 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

How can anybody get sued for slander when speaking of the way somebody provided service for you?

I still don't get this. It is no different than telling somebody that the waiter at XYZ resturaunt screwed up my order. That is complete BS scare tactic.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:26 PM
urysohn

I agree. But if you say something that causes somebody to lose business and it can be proven that you said it in a public forum, you could still find yourself on the losing end of a lawsuit. People get sued for an amazing number of stupid things, and far too often the wrong person wins. Like I said, if you've got proof of what you're claiming then publish away.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:29 PM
glenn

[tan]Tough to get sued for slander on an anonymous discussion board. The tracing of server logs (and convincing Canadian authorities to make me cough up my logs) then back through to your ISP, then requiring your ISP to provide their logs by their respective authorities, would be a monumental task - and documented publicly here along the way (free advertising!). Discussion boards DO however get sued successfully for stuff that is posted to their boards. Thankfully, I've got geography on my side.

The problem you've got to worry about here is Moderator I through III. Ain't no restrictions on them.

I've already received some pretty horrifying feedback about some of the recruiter links I've posted, so be careful. I have merely posted names of sites that I could find from a recruiter thread elsewhere. Since some of this is subjective, I can't really differentiate between them myself. I've considered putting in a feedback mechanism that would allow people to rate them. Since this is a programming issue, it's on the backburner right now, but it sounds like something that might be nice to implement. I guess if a recruiter didn't like their rating, they could request that I delete their link, which would be a pretty good indicator as well.

[/tan]
Old 03-26-2002, 03:35 PM

while tracking people down from posts on a message board may not be easy, it can be done...there have been several well-publicized prosecutions resulting from anonymous posts on "stock market" message boards