Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-02-2002, 01:55 PM

Quit! THAT'll get their attention!!!

(just kidding, just kidding!!! :P )
Old 04-02-2002, 02:03 PM

Old 04-02-2002, 02:26 PM

How would your promotion affect the greencard application? Can you please elaborate? I am in the process of applying for my greencard and I got promoted a few months ago. I did not inform my lawyer of this promotion. Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2002, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider

How would your promotion affect the greencard application? Can you please elaborate? I am in the process of applying for my greencard and I got promoted a few months ago. I did not inform my lawyer of this promotion. Thanks in advance
as far as i know you are supposed to have the exact job that was on your green card application by the time you get to the INS interview. You still can get pay increases, just keep the same job title (analys, actuary, etc.)
Old 04-02-2002, 04:25 PM

If you feel uncomfortable asking your boss to announce the promotion, I suggest doing it yourself:

Buy a box or two of muffins/bagels/doughnuts and leave them in the office kitchen. Then, send an email to everyone saying something like:
"There are some goodies in the kitchen. Please help yourself and help me celebrate my recent promotion to....".
Old 04-02-2002, 04:44 PM

Brains&Beauty,

That is just plain genius...hence your name i guess PoohBear
Old 04-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bikerider, what Alya stated is also what I was told. I suggest you talk to your lawyer about this. Maybe the laws have changed, but if not, you may need to do something quickly.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dednimnepo
Actuarial based promotion - Announce to the actuarial department only, assuming non-actuaries are not effected by the promotion. One school of thought says announce to the company. I think this generates as much resentment as good publicity unless its commonly done with other professions, such as Underwriting and Systems Analysts.

Actuarial promotion example - moving from an Actuarial Student (1-2 exams) to an Actuarial Assistant (3+) or getting a designation. Getting a designation often earns you some sort of management equivalent promotion. I should add, earning a Designation should always be announced.
Now I understand, and I know what you mean about generating resentment. At my first company, the general perception was that all ( ) you had to do was pass some exams and you would get promoted. (Of course, these people thought actuarial exams were like LOMA exams, and they complained about the actuaries getting "9 weeks of vacation" when everybody else got 3. ) When we announced actuarial promotions, we always said that the promotion was "in recognition of the higher level of work being performed, the increased workload, the increased managerial responsibilities, (i.e., something that the average Joe could understand), and, oh, by the way, they also passed a few more exams." The good news is that it's not like this at all companies. In some companies, the average Joe has worked with actuaries and understands that their skill level is much higher than the average FLMI.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:08 AM

Meka leka hi meka hiney ho
Old 04-03-2002, 02:12 AM
SOA AAA

"...was caught red-handed showing feelings!
Showing feelings of an almost HUMAN nature!
This will not do."
In other words, what kind of actuary (or one in training) are you? You'll have to do better than this for your next promotion.