Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 04-03-2002, 02:32 AM
Cynic

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's always good to be recognized in public. Given that my boss recognizes and praises me in private, I don't care whether or not other people know about it. Usually in an Actuarial Department, you get promoted because you have passed a bunch of exams. This means that you may be promoted faster and more often than the guy who's been working there long before you. This in itself causes a lot of resentment already. There is no need to stir it up.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:32 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

I believe it is very important to recognize the rewards of exam progress. It is a long dark road and when our brethren get promoted, it gives us all a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:35 AM

I'm in the same boat. Was promoted in February and it was never announced to anyone, except the people within the department that I told myself. My experience here has been that the actuarial promotions in our office are not announced, probably b/c it comes through a different system than the "other" promotions, which are announced when they occur. We usually have to wait a few extra weeks for ours due to exam results anyway. It's a bummer. Would definitely boost our morale if our promotions were recognized, at least by announcing it to the dept in a dept meeting or something. I guess maybe it's to avoid resentment due to some people getting promoted and others not...
Old 04-03-2002, 11:39 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if it's a "chicken and egg" question? People resent actuaries because we get promoted faster, but I think a lot of that resentment stems from the fact that they don't understand how difficult it is to pass the exams. We then downplay the promotion by keeping it quiet, rather than using it as an opportunity to explain just how big a deal it really is to pass. This allows people to continue thinking that actuarial exams are just like LOMA exams, and that we are getting special treatment, and that that's the reason why we don't advertise our promotions, and the cycle continues.

Maybe when somebody gets promoted, the announcement should contain something about the exams, like the fact that you can only take them every 6 months, you need to put in 400-500 hours of studying to have any chance of passing, only 30-40% of the people writing an exam actually pass, etc. After seeing statistics like this a few times, maybe people wouldn't be so flip about these promotions.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:00 PM
SOA AAA

In my opinion, you should not 'buy bagels' and announce your own promotion. People will think you are an arrogant ba$tard at worst, an insecure dork at best.

Hang in there and keep working hard. If your promotion involves significant added responsibility, then people will notice. If not, then it may have just been a movement up the payscale, and no big deal.

Also, I agree that sometimes promotions are announce very late. One company I worked at announced them annually, so sometimes people had been in the position for almost a year before the promotion was announced.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:14 PM

I once got a promotion that was officially announced, but it did not involve any new work responsibilities or higher pay*, or indeed anything at all except the announcement & some free muffins & orange juice.

*It allegedly influenced my next annual increase months later, but the amount for the promotion was not specifically identified, and the total was lower than in the previous year, when I was not promoted.