Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Default TIA MFE Seminar

For those who used the TIA MFE seminar, did it do a good job for preparing you guys for the last MFE sitting?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

Not sure about the last sitting. I am currently using TIA to prepare for May 2011 MFE. I have gone through sections A and B which correspond to Chapters 9 and 10 in the DM textbook. I recommend the TIA MFE seminar. Dr Yates explains concepts in a simple and lucid style. His end of the chapter problems thoroughly test the concepts presented in the lectures. I am supplementing the TIA MFE seminar with AB practice problems and exams simply because the last MFE setting seemed to be quite horrendous
Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Favorite beer: Actuarial Brew

I did not use it, but from what I heard, it skips over every "rare" topic and is in general too simple. I was with a couple people who did use TIA and when we got to the SOA practice problems it didn't work out so well.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:18 PM

Studying for ILA - DP
College: Maryville University
Favorite beer: Schnitzengiggle

I agree that it didn't cover some of the "rare" topics that are sprinkled all throughout the SOA example questions, but there are definitely helpful tips and tricks like in all TIA seminars. I remember some of the simple problems on the exam and being like, "thank you for that trick. That was a lot easier..." But then again, I used TIA and ASM for practice exams and reference on a topic if I didn't fully understand it. So sometimes I wasn't sure what knowledge was coming from where...

The end of the seminar exams were not necessarily very representative of the actual exam this November, but I feel the that being able to see how someone works through a problem aesthetically is beneficial.

I do feel that what helped me the most was really pounding through SOA's sample questions. I remember looking at it the first time and being like, "What the heck is going on here?" but they really do represent, if nothing else, the language you'll see questions written on the exam. I still didn't fully understand the SOA examples, but I knew how to do them nevertheless and I remember seeing a few problems on the exam that looked VERY similar to them.

In retrospect, having the accessibility to the professor for TIA I wish I had used him more and asked him specific questions that I didn't understand from the samples. But, I still think I squeezed by with a pass on MFE (sitting on 17 PAK) so take it or leave it...
Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks guys for the inputs. I think I will do the same thing as TheProeb, use the TIA to study and ASM for practicing the exams.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Non-Actuary

For this exam, "When in doubt, overkill." I used both TIA and ASM and if I pass it will be luck. I probably deserve only to get 12 or 13 correct, a few were educated guesses and the rest were just whatever.

I'm going to use TIA again, and ASM again, and even the AB practice questions. I kind of screwed myself by not going into the exam prepared, and on the questions I knew, I had to redo 2 if not 3 times because I couldn't seem to put numbers in my calculator correctly.

I've heard others say they soley used TIA and passed, after this last sitting I don't know what to think but overkill overkill overkill.