Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkalina View Post
Usually when I get stuck I draw out the curve and measure the area underneath it with a ruler.
Don't forget to bring a level for those tricky derivatives!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
SOA

Studying for LP
Favorite beer: Cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlerite View Post
I haven't seen any really complicated integrals for this exam yet. The worst I've seen so far require integration by parts one or maybe two times (and these are uncommon), but if you attack these by tabular integration (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integra...ation_by_parts), they are pretty easy.
Tabular Integration is great. Michael Yates of TIA did a great lesson on it for MFE and I really like it better than normal integration by parts.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlerite View Post
I haven't seen any really complicated integrals for this exam yet. The worst I've seen so far require integration by parts one or maybe two times (and these are uncommon), but if you attack these by tabular integration (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integra...ation_by_parts), they are pretty easy.
Yes, you are 100% correct.

However, sometimes I can't remember things that I should be able to remember, like the integral of c^x. For instance, like right now. I can't remember.

Ahh... c^x/log(x). Thanks, Wolfram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
I thought the actual exam was very similar to one of the last 2 ASM practice exams, but perhaps those underestimate the difficulty of the exam.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

Mahlerite,

It took me a week to finish chapters 4,5 and 6. At this time i am behind my study schedule. This week i have been devoting time exclusively to MFE. I hope to pick up MLC on Saturday. I initially planned to finish everything up to Premiums by 12/31 but it is looking very difficult as of now. I am aiming to get through Survival function-life tables, Insurances and Annuities material by 12/31. Although the material builds on itself, i have always needed more time than average to complete my revision for any exam that i have sat for. Added to this misery is the fact that i do not work in the Actuarial field. I am hoping to get my ASA in 2011 and try my luck in the job market.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat060 View Post
Mahlerite,

It took me a week to finish chapters 4,5 and 6. At this time i am behind my study schedule. This week i have been devoting time exclusively to MFE. I hope to pick up MLC on Saturday. I initially planned to finish everything up to Premiums by 12/31 but it is looking very difficult as of now. I am aiming to get through Survival function-life tables, Insurances and Annuities material by 12/31. Although the material builds on itself, i have always needed more time than average to complete my revision for any exam that i have sat for. Added to this misery is the fact that i do not work in the Actuarial field. I am hoping to get my ASA in 2011 and try my luck in the job market.
That is very aggressive, cat. I applaud your hard work and hope to mirror it.

Good luck!

Quote:
I thought the actual exam was very similar to one of the last 2 ASM practice exams, but perhaps those underestimate the difficulty of the exam.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Mahlerite,

My hat goes off to anyone who has the tenacity to study for more than one exam at a time. Really, I don't see myself being able to do it. For one, I'm certainly not the quickest study.

On a side note, up through and including lesson 14, the 8th one slowed me down the most, so you might want to allot a little more time to it.

Like you, I am not in the actuarial field either. (I actually am a payroll analyst at a financial company and work with retirement plan contributions.) But I often wonder how much easier it would be if I had some paid study hours at work. Here's to that in the future, hopefully!

Best of luck.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
SOA

I'm not in a pure actuarial role, either. Though I am in healthcare with some minor actuarial elements to my job.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM

Studying for VEEs & FAP
College: University at Buffalo Alumni
Favorite beer: Corona w/ Lime

Quote:
Mahlerite,

Awesome, you're a career changer! Best of luck to you in the job search and the exams. Have you spoken with MaryPat Campbell/limabeanactuary here on the boards? She's a career changer from academia, FSA, who is very involved in SOA stuff. Often an inspiration for us career changers. I was a high school math teacher by the way.

I just realized something. You said you were an engineer. Did you have to take any of those engineering exams? You know, the ones that have like only 18% of people passing, you bring tons of books in on the day of the exam, and the exam takes like all day? I guess you would have the tolerance to take 2 exams at once! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
REPENT
THE END IS NIGH
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluan View Post
You sound way too excited about studying for 7.

A bit of studying will fix that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk View Post
Nope. 7 is the must pass of all must passes next spring. Can leave absolutely nothing to chance. Study schedule starts on November 15th. Is it nuts? Probably. Will I pass? Definitely. Will it be worth it? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk's blog
A bit of an early start for a second sitting, but this exam is a must pass, and there's no such thing as too much studying for a must pass
Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

jprep,

Thanks for your kind advice. I have not taken the professional engineer's exam. I did pass all 3 levels of the CFA exam (which helped me with the VEE) but i can safely say that the actuarial exams are in a class of their own. I do not enjoy studying for 2 actuarial exams at once (esp MLC & MFE) but time is not on my side and i want to have my ASA done by end of 2011. I will definetely get in touch with Mary Pat. It is always good to get feedback from people who have been through this before. Once again thanks and best wishes for continued success.

Last edited by cat060; 12-06-2010 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: depends on the day - local craft though!

Quote:
Mahlerite,

I would exercise caution trying to complete your ASA prior to entering the job market. There are expectations of abilities that come along with having the credentials and you may have a harder time getting hired if they have to pay you for your credentials, but you can't "do" anything.

"Exam C/4 is the catch-all exam containing all mathematical material that doesn't fit easily into one of the other exams." -Abraham Weishaus, ASM manual

SBQ, ASA, EA
P FM MFE MLC C VEE (all 3)
FAP 1-8
EA-2L EA-2F

The best exam thread ever:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=193252