Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 PM
SOA

So I'm only through chapter 5 now (I actually still have half of the problems to get through but I am calling it done) and in my schedule I need to be through chapter 9 by today and chapter 11 by Saturday. I got really thrown off by a busy work week last week and a lazy weekend.

I'm going to try to get through chapters 6 & 7 tonight before MNF then take on chapter 8 throughout the rest of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
I thought the actual exam was very similar to one of the last 2 ASM practice exams, but perhaps those underestimate the difficulty of the exam.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

I'm already behind as well. A few silly obligations popped up and study time is getting squeezed quickly. Might actually have to take my manual home this weekend to do a bit of catch up.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

SandbagQueen,

Your post is right on the money. I have thought about this myself. However, i still plan to go for the ASA. I have a good paying job as an engineer. The worst that can happen is that i will remain in my current role and not be able to transfer to the actuarial profession. Although, i would not want that scenario to play out but it is certainly a possibility. I have factored the pay cut that i will probably need to take if i join the actuarial field. That is the price i am willing to pay to puruse my dream. The ASA is small hedge against the paycut perhaps. Maybe, i will stop after passing C. I am not sure. In any case, i am not in my 20's like most prelim exam takers and my situation is different. Let us see how it plays out. I am willing to put in the work and if the results don't show up, i guess i have to accept and move on.

To make this post relevant to this thread: Finished Chapter 7 of ASM over the weekend. Worked all end of chapter problems.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
CAS SOA

I'll add my name to the "behind my original study schedule" list, though I'm only behind by a few lessons.

I make it a rule to complete at least half of the exercises with regard to my first pass through the manual.

Chapter 14 is difficult (namely, the increasing and decreasing insurances part), but chapter 15 is easy. Now on to annuities!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM
SOA

Official Behind My Original Study Schedule List
mpkalina
vividox
Mahlerite
cat060

Official Haven't Made a Study Schedule Yet List
Twitches

I think that's all of us. Good work, everyone!

Though Mahlerite is making us all look like chumps being multiple chapters ahead... and through chapter 8.

Quote:
I thought the actual exam was very similar to one of the last 2 ASM practice exams, but perhaps those underestimate the difficulty of the exam.

Last edited by Practicing; 12-06-2010 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Twitches begged to be added to the list
Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
CAS SOA

Are we all procrastinators here? I wonder if the "Official Ahead of My Original Study Schedule List" looks like this:

Official Ahead of My Original Study Schedule List
*crickets*
Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlerite View Post
Are we all procrastinators here? I wonder if the "Official Ahead of My Original Study Schedule List" looks like this:

Official Ahead of My Original Study Schedule List
*crickets*
I will find this crickets and have him eliminated. No one will make me look the fool.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlerite View Post
I'll add my name to the "behind my original study schedule" list, though I'm only behind by a few lessons.

I make it a rule to complete at least half of the exercises with regard to my first pass through the manual.

Chapter 14 is difficult (namely, the increasing and decreasing insurances part), but chapter 15 is easy. Now on to annuities!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkalina View Post
Official Behind My Original Study Schedule List
mpkalina
vividox
Mahlerite
cat060

I think that's all of us. Good work, everyone!

Though Mahlerite is making us all look like chumps being multiple chapters ahead... and through chapter 8.
You should follow my lead. It's impossible for me to be behind schedule because I don't have one yet.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:37 PM
CAS SOA

What makes the crickets so annoying is how much they brag at nighttime about their unhuman exam progress.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitches View Post
You should follow my lead. It's impossible for me to be behind schedule because I don't have one yet.
There you go, you get your own list. See what happens when you speak up?

Quote: