Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Ellie2806, I hope you passed MLC. I thought you were one of the most prepared people in the forum and I was surprised to hear that you were on the border.

But in case you didn't pass - have you considered going over another resource? I like ASM as much as the next person, but maybe a fresh approach is what you need. Guo, Dr. O, Broverman, Ramanathan, and ACTEX have all released study manuals for the MLC, and they seem to be mostly OK, based on what I'm hearing.

One of my tricks during exam preparation was to learn the same material in a slightly different way multiple times. That really helped me solidify my understanding of the material and led to a probable pass in January. Maybe it could work for you.
DanielSong, i greatly appreciate your post.
I really did feel prepared going into the exam, but my problem is not the material itself it is speed and time pressure
If it turns out that i didn't pass, i'll definitely look into other study options, i think Dr O is my best bet, but as for now, I go through all the ASM lessons giving myself 6 min per problem. There is no way i'll let myself be borderline in May. If i have to train to go through all 30 problems in 1.5 hours so be it.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

Ellie,

I would recommend TIA and/or the Batten Seminar. I can personally speak for TIA as i am currently using it. James Washer (the instructor) is one of the best teachers i have had in recent memory. He explains the MLC material from a 'logical' perspective without bogging down the student with unnecessary mathematical rigors. His treatment is lucid and complete. I personally never go through the theory from ASM. I use ASM just for the problems. I would seriously ask you to consider watching the 2 free videos on survival distributions at

http://www.theinfiniteactuary.com/?page=soa_mlc

Of course, the final decision is yours but i sincerely believe the TIA MLC seminar will help you. Please note i am not in any way affiliated to the TIA business. I am just one of their many students.

best wishes
Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Cat060, thank you for the recommendation, i'll definitely consider TIA, it's a bit expensive and i am out of work right now, but it may turn out to be a good investment after all,
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
SOA

I had a really bad question posted here.. hopefully no one saw it before I edited this post.

Last edited by kernel; 12-17-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
Nothing wrong with your logic. We assume T(x) is continuous, but if it isn't, then there is a difference between the two concepts you mentioned.
Will we ever deal with a case where T(x) is not continuous? I'm trying to think of real life examples...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!
College: Penn State, Class of 2001
Favorite beer: Shiner Bock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernel View Post
Will we ever deal with a case where T(x) is not continuous? I'm trying to think of real life examples...
I don't remember discrete examples coming up on MLC, but a real-life example of discrete survival analysis could be any situation in which the timing of an event is continuous, but data is only collected at discrete time intervals -- for example, the grade that someone drops out of school.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:44 AM

Studying for MLC
College: Bryant University

Finally bought my manual, it's gonna be a bittersweet present under the Christmas tree...
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for software developer
College: college of duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas1729 View Post
Finally bought my manual, it's gonna be a bittersweet present under the Christmas tree...
awww

"You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures." - Charles C. Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
Does he math good?

I need a geek in the streets but a mathlete in the sheets.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 PM
SOA

Studying for fill in the blank

Hello everyone... I hope it will be ok if I join this discussion. I just received the ASM manual yesterday.

I have no experience with any of this stuff. Unless you count P/FM knowledge. So I'm a little nervous after glancing through some of your posts. Many of you sound quite proficient already!

With that said, I should be getting back to chapter 6...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for software developer
College: college of duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDslippers View Post
Hello everyone... I hope it will be ok if I join this discussion. I just received the ASM manual yesterday.

I have no experience with any of this stuff. Unless you count P/FM knowledge. So I'm a little nervous after glancing through some of your posts. Many of you sound quite proficient already!

With that said, I should be getting back to chapter 6...
im on chapter six too!

"You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures." - Charles C. Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
Does he math good?

I need a geek in the streets but a mathlete in the sheets.