Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 12-30-2010, 02:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergrad01 View Post
Consider yourself joined. This thread just sort of died when you did.

How is the studying going for people? Is anyone putting in solid hours everyday yet? I had planned to, but because the exam is so far away, I am having a hard time caring.
I'm a decent bit of the way through ASM, but the reason for that is evident from the top right corner of this post. I figure that I don't exactly have time to waste.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

I have finished chapters 9,10,11,12. Taking a break from MFE to make progress on MLC. the tougher MFE material lies ahead although the first four chapters were not too easy.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM
SOA

College: 2010
Favorite beer: Jameson

I finished Chapter 10. I've thought everything thus far hasn't been too bad. I should really go back and work ALL the problems instead of here and there.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for CAS 5
College: University of British Columbia '10

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now, finally got myself an account!

Is anyone going to be attempting both MFE and MLC in May? I'm seriously considering that, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm about three quarters my way through the MFE material. Advice?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing. FCAS, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrMrtn View Post
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now, finally got myself an account!

Is anyone going to be attempting both MFE and MLC in May? I'm seriously considering that, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm about three quarters my way through the MFE material. Advice?
Having recently done exactly this (for November) I'd strongly encourage you to not do it.

If you pass both, then , right?
If you pass one, then you essentially wasted your time studying for the other one and could have actually had a life while studying for the one you passed. So it's a , but also a moment.

If you fail both, you'll pretty hard.

Just studying for one and pass that one and call it good. I'm likely scenario 2 by the way.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for CAS 5

Thx, Scars, for sharing your experiences. Don't be so pessimistic!

The thing is, I haven't been getting offers for interviews (working in a totally nonactuarial field right now) with just P and FM down, and I was hoping that I could greatly increase my marketability by having 4 exams (hopefully) passed. I'd go so far as to quit my current job and just nerd for the next 4 months to accomplish this. I would like to know if it's humanly doable within this timeframe rather than if it's advisable.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
SOA

Studying for FAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrMrtn View Post
Thx, Scars, for sharing your experiences. Don't be so pessimistic!

The thing is, I haven't been getting offers for interviews (working in a totally nonactuarial field right now) with just P and FM down, and I was hoping that I could greatly increase my marketability by having 4 exams (hopefully) passed. I'd go so far as to quit my current job and just nerd for the next 4 months to accomplish this. I would like to know if it's humanly doable within this timeframe rather than if it's advisable.
It is doable because I know of people that have done it. Our intern passed C and is waiting for results on Friday to see if he passed MFE. If he did pass, then I would say that C + MFE is harder than MLC + MFE.

Saying that, the intern said he would wake up around 3:00 - 4:00 am to start studying before work the entire month before the exam. Then he would go study for hours after he got off of work. If you really want to put that amount of time in, then good luck.
You successfully played "just the tip?" Ive always ended up losing
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

I am studing for 2011 May MLC and MFE. I work in engineering project management so my work has nothing in common with actuarial exams. I started in December and have made some progress. With work starting to heat up, i believe i will have to start getting creative with my study hours i.e waking up early and utilizing the lunch hour. I do feel i will be able to do justice to both MLC & MFE and pass them in May 2011. I am primarily using ASM for MLC (working every worked example, quiz and exercise from each lesson) and TIA for MFE. I plan to go through ASM/AB for MFE once i have completed the TIA seminar. I am aiming to complete the syllabus for MLC & MFE by 3/31 (this includes working all the related problems). Only time will tell if i am able to hit the date. I like studying and appearing for exams so that is definetely a plus
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for CAS 5

Cool, I think I've made up my mind now to do both. Screw having a life for 4 months. I'm gonna aim for mid/end of Jan to finish the MFE material, and then full throttle on MLC. =)
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA
Favorite beer: Moose Drool

For the next month, I'll be reading through ASM and watching the TIA videos to get a general understanding of the material. Currently, I've made it through 10.

Starting in Feb, I'll be working the TIA schedule, using ASM/TIA videos and AB problems.

Quote:
Cool, I think I've made up my mind now to do both. Screw having a life for 4 months. I'm gonna aim for mid/end of Jan to finish the MFE material, and then full throttle on MLC. =)
Good luck to you! I can't imagine studying for two exams. I have a hard enough time with one.

GH Advanced

Tags
mfe exam thread, mfe spring 2011