Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Default The Infinite Actuary (TIA) Exam Prep - Spring 2011

Hello Everyone,

The Infinite Actuary's online seminar for MLC is now available. You can find more information here. We will also be offering a live seminar. More information about the live seminar can be found here. The Infinite Package contains both the online and live seminar.

Two lessons have been made available for free. You can view these lessons by going to this page. Open the Life Contingencies section and then the Survival Distributions and Life Tables section. Lessons B.1.1 and B.1.2 can be watched by anyone. I recommend you watch those lessons before purchasing the online seminar to see what you are buying.

The first problem set with 171 problems and typed solutions are also available for free. There are over 1000 problems included with the seminar. I have typed solutions to ALL 1000+ problems and video solutions to over 200 of them (see this page for sample video solutions). If you flip through my solutions you will see I prefer a logical approach to Actuarial Mathematics. I believe this approach is much faster for solving problems and also leads to less careless mistakes. See #94 for an example.

My suggested study schedule is also available for free. You might find this of value even if you don't plan to use The Infinite Actuary.

Here are some past threads with student comments about the seminar:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=201231
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=196497
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=195348
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=162036

If you have any questions, then please let me know.

Thanks,
James Washer

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing. FCAS, baby!

I'd like to give a very serious for the TIA MLC online seminar. Great way to learn the material if you have no background. If you do have some background, I have no doubt that it's still worth getting.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
CAS

There was no way I wasn't going to buy TIA's seminar after their quality product for FM. Can't wait to start studying and learning a lot, again, from James Washer.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Not only is the seminar GREAT, but if you have questions, james goes the extra mile to make sure that you understand. Last sitting, a few of us were having problems with associated single decrements/multiple decrements, and we couldn't understand from the forum discussion, so he made a youtube video just to answer our questions!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
SOA

Studying for LP
Favorite beer: Cider

I've thoroughly enjoyed using TIA for P, FM, and MFE. As soon as it's confirmed that I passed MFE tomorrow I'll be purchasing the online seminar. I know it'll be great material.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC MFE
College: Career Changer

Can someone explain how the "live" seminar works? I am familiar with TIA's online seminar and like it very much. Does the "live" seminar go through the tricky theoretical aspects or does it just focus on solving different types of problems. Can students bring up specific concepts for discussion with the instructor to clarify material they are having difficulty with? I guess i am not sure how the material is covered as i never been to a "live" seminar.