Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:10 AM
CAS

College: JHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
If CAS will pay me at my current rate for 14 days, yeah sure
I think most companies allow WFH now, and candidates can work from quarantine centers. Also, candidates should pay quarantine centers for their stays.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:17 AM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentc View Post
I think most companies allow WFH now, and candidates can work from quarantine centers. Also, candidates should pay quarantine centers for their stays.
When I signed up for the exam a month ago I didn't know I was signing up to be locked up in a prison for 14 days with a group of unknown people
Old 03-17-2020, 10:23 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
Clark question: the source says “The MLE estimate for the ELE is therefore equivalent to the “Cape Cod” Ultimate.” (top of 52).

Does he mean to say that the MLE estimate for ELR is equivalent to the Cape Cod ELR? Based on the way the MLE ELR formula looks, that does not seem like an ultimate loss to me.
it's the same ELR as always, just weird wording on calling it an ultimate
Old 03-17-2020, 10:24 AM
CAS

College: JHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
When I signed up for the exam a month ago I didn't know I was signing up to be locked up in a prison for 14 days with a group of unknown people
This is special time which requires special treatment. This is for public health. If CAS still wants to let exams happen, certain measures must be taken, and it's not right to let public take the risk caused by actuarial exam candidates. People are dying. Doctors are crying for help. Small business may go bankrupt. How can there be selfish candidates like you?
Old 03-17-2020, 10:30 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
This is special time which requires special treatment. This is for public health. If CAS still wants to let exams happen, certain measures must be taken, and it's not right to let public take the risk caused by actuarial exam candidates. People are dying. Doctors are crying for help. Small business may go bankrupt. How can there be selfish candidates like you?
oh man good thing you didn't see the post from amp about how he'd rather get corona and do the exam
Old 03-17-2020, 10:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Which is why I said it should be postponed
Old 03-17-2020, 10:46 AM
CAS

(Meanwhile secretly studying like a maniac while I convince everyone on the board that exams will be postponed)
Old 03-17-2020, 10:46 AM
CAS

Studying for 7 and 9
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
How will me taking the exam affect any of that if I lock myself up in my apartment for 2 weeks after? Typically in an exam the candidates are sitting fairly far from each other. I'd say the proctor is the person most at risk since they have to pick up papers from everyone. As long as the proctor has some sort of guidelines to lower their risk, I don't see the big deal.

We're all still getting groceries right? I think I'm in much closer contact with people in line at Walmart than I would be taking an exam.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:55 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
How will me taking the exam affect any of that if I lock myself up in my apartment for 2 weeks after? Typically in an exam the candidates are sitting fairly far from each other. I'd say the proctor is the person most at risk since they have to pick up papers from everyone. As long as the proctor has some sort of guidelines to lower their risk, I don't see the big deal.

We're all still getting groceries right? I think I'm in much closer contact with people in line at Walmart than I would be taking an exam.
No, I haven't gotten groceries for over a week. Instacart/Shipt/AmazonFresh/Emergency food pile

Granted, I'm more of an alarmist than the average person.

Last edited by kadsura; 03-17-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-17-2020, 10:57 AM
CAS

College: Fairfield University

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post

I think the CAS not postponing or finding alternative means is putting candidates in a tough spot. I have an 8 month old at home - even if they told me I could take the exam and only have a 1% chance of getting the virus no way in hell would I put my daughter at risk for my selfish reasons. I, like many other candidates, also need to commute into where the exam center is (NYC for me). It's clearly not going to work - they need to take action now. Hell, let's use some "scenario planning" and figure out other ways to make this work. Time to practice what you preach CAS!