Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #791  
Old 03-17-2020, 01:34 PM
jumpyshrimp jumpyshrimp is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBNYC View Post
Please tell me this is a joke. I thought it was but you’ve now posted this multiple times in multiple threads. If it is not, you have a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome and actuarial exams are your captor. Jesus.

There are more important things in life than these goddamn exams.
We are so lucky to stay/study/work at home, get our paychecks posted on time, and talk about a freaking exam that probably 80% of population have never heard of. We are lucky bastards! I hope people who are stilling working out there safe and healthy.

I agreed with JMB. It's just an exam. It won't make you smarter or richer by passing it, at least not in NYC.

Last edited by jumpyshrimp; 03-17-2020 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 03-17-2020, 01:45 PM
AbedNadir's Avatar
AbedNadir AbedNadir is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Studying for FCAS
Posts: 2,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
After actually writing this out it seems batshit crazy lol:

Maybe it's time to give the TBE proctoring company a call. Ask for free proctoring in exchange for dropping any potential lawsuit. Display the test on screen, have candidates write on CAS paper same as normal.

Not sure how you could submit without cheating. Maybe hold each exam paper up to the camera to have the proctors take a photo?

I don't foresee this happening but if it did I would absolutely sit.
I like this idea, a mix between total automation and human judgement. use computers to essentially deliver the exam and have humans cover the parts that are hard to automate. I mean, yea, I could go to the washroom and look at my notes, but honestly at the exam centre I go to I could probably have done that in the washroom if I really wanted to, so it's no different
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 03-17-2020, 01:59 PM
kadsura kadsura is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Studying for the heck of it
Posts: 1,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
I like this idea, a mix between total automation and human judgement. use computers to essentially deliver the exam and have humans cover the parts that are hard to automate. I mean, yea, I could go to the washroom and look at my notes, but honestly at the exam centre I go to I could probably have done that in the washroom if I really wanted to, so it's no different
Amp could probably chime in, pretty sure that's what they did in exam 5 TBE. Last time it didn't go well.
__________________
1 2 3 4 S 5 6 7 8 9 V V O O C
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:01 PM
kadsura kadsura is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Studying for the heck of it
Posts: 1,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyshrimp View Post
an exam that probably 80% of population have never heard of.
I'll go out on a limb and say 99.9% of the population have never heard of. 90% of the people I had to explain what an actuary is...
__________________
1 2 3 4 S 5 6 7 8 9 V V O O C
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,845
Default

I have an even better idea (but not one we can use this sitting, unfortunately.) Go to open-book exams. Then the need for proctoring is vastly reduced. With open book exams, the only practical ways to cheat woud be:
1) get access to the exam in advance
2) get help from someone who has studied for this exam during your exam sitting

There aren't all that many people in category 2. And a large fraction of them are competing with you.
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:24 PM
amp019372's Avatar
amp019372 amp019372 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Studying for 7 and 9
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
Amp could probably chime in, pretty sure that's what they did in exam 5 TBE. Last time it didn't go well.
I didn't do the TBE for 5. I took it in fall 2018. I think the main issue was that the proctoring company didn't have the infrastructure to handle the load of that many people taking the exam at once.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9



Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:27 PM
AbedNadir's Avatar
AbedNadir AbedNadir is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Studying for FCAS
Posts: 2,866
Default

a lot of options would be possible if the CAS had more funding and wasn't mostly run by volunteers. maybe all companies could pay a yearly fee tofund it and in return we get more frequent/high quality exams and more satisfied candidates
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:29 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,806
Default

So in Brehm 2.5 (Venter) says that we shouldn't use combined ratios when evaluating reinsurance. I don't get this. How is it distorted? If we get a low ceding commission then those expenses don't just disappear...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:30 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I have an even better idea (but not one we can use this sitting, unfortunately.) Go to open-book exams. Then the need for proctoring is vastly reduced. With open book exams, the only practical ways to cheat woud be:
1) get access to the exam in advance
2) get help from someone who has studied for this exam during your exam sitting

There aren't all that many people in category 2. And a large fraction of them are competing with you.


I hope this is part of the CAS's long term goal going forward.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:33 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
a lot of options would be possible if the CAS had more funding and wasn't mostly run by volunteers. maybe all companies could pay a yearly fee tofund it and in return we get more frequent/high quality exams and more satisfied candidates
I don't think that's true. There's not some large resource of "people who could write good exams" out there that would be easy to hire. Although exam quality might be higher if they mostly tried to find "actuaries close to retirement, with real-world experience using this material" instead of "brand new actuaries who just passed their exams" to write the questions.

(Most mid-career actuaries are too busy to write exam questions, I would guess.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.21437 seconds with 12 queries