Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

I thought the graphics and game play were pretty good. I liked being able to select skills in DII, but in this they are just being handed to you, that seems silly.

nevermind. found the crafting. was playing too quickly through and didn't pay attention to that part.

Last edited by tometom; 04-22-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: porters

Meh. Wasn't expecting blizzard to add any revolutionary changes to what is a perfectly entertaining rare-item-looting button-masher.

Diablo III : Diablo II :: Starcraft 2 : Starcraft.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Favorite beer: Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
Meh. Wasn't expecting blizzard to add any revolutionary changes to what is a perfectly entertaining rare-item-looting button-masher.

I didn't play much Diablo II, so maybe I was expecting something revolutionary in terms of gameplay based on the hype. But I just found it mildly entertaining.

Last edited by Regular Joe; 04-22-2012 at 05:21 PM..
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Queens College

Quote:

I agree completely. SC2 is SC1 with different units and a prettier interface which isn't too bad of a deal. On the downside they really screwed up the way custom games are played and don't care to fix it.

It looks and feels like D3 is going down the same path. New colors and pretty graphics but no real differences.

D3 seems 100% linear and extremely easy at this point. I made it to the Skeleton King without using a single potion. The only time I went to town was turn in crap to the blacksmith. Of course, this is just the first part of the first act.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George L. Costanza View Post
I agree completely. SC2 is SC1 with different units and a prettier interface which isn't too bad of a deal. On the downside they really screwed up the way custom games are played and don't care to fix it.

It looks and feels like D3 is going down the same path. New colors and pretty graphics but no real differences.

D3 seems 100% linear and extremely easy at this point. I made it to the Skeleton King without using a single potion. The only time I went to town was turn in crap to the blacksmith. Of course, this is just the first part of the first act.
I agree on the SC2 front. Unpopular custom games never get played now because of the way the UI works. If you try to start a game with a non-top20 map, it'll never fill up because nobody will see it. The game really needs a mechanism to fix that.

Didn't expect any major changes with D3. Game looks very polished. Beta was too easy, but it's the beginning in normal mode. I just hope that the game doesn't go down the path of torchlight/borderlands where it's way too easy to be fun, even on hard mode.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: porters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf View Post
I agree on the SC2 front. Unpopular custom games never get played now because of the way the UI works. If you try to start a game with a non-top20 map, it'll never fill up because nobody will see it. The game really needs a mechanism to fix that.

Didn't expect any major changes with D3. Game looks very polished. Beta was too easy, but it's the beginning in normal mode. I just hope that the game doesn't go down the path of torchlight/borderlands where it's way too easy to be fun, even on hard mode.
Haven't played much of those games, but Blizzard definitely knows a thing or two about difficulty settings. There will be some kind of hard or impossible mode, there will probably be a newgame ++, and there probably will be a permadeath option. Take all 3 and win to prove you have no life.

Last edited by sweetiepie; 04-22-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Yeah, they've already announced the game is going to have a hardcore mode again. I wouldn't worry too much about Blizzard getting the difficulty wrong. Did any of you try the challenges in SC2? Some of those were insanely difficult.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Joe View Post
So. Was anyone else a little underwhelmed with the beta? Maybe it could get better at the higher levels, but it seemed a little too much like a button masher to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Finally was able to get into D3 Beta without a busy message. I was...underwhelmed
+1.

Was actually pretty disappointed.

Probably the only good point I have: Runs very well on my computer. Had no real lag or shuttering.

Can't rotate, or zoom the camera in or out (besides a key that gives you some closeup view of your character). Can't move with w-a-s-d keys.

Devoid of any real story (more dialog but I really didn't care about a single thing that was said during the beta).

Very limited skill/ability set. Feels more like a console RPG than anything. Hardly any depth at all.

Can't say for high levels, but low level itemization was awful. After finding my 6th short bow of the vampire...I'm not sure there are a lot of different items in the game. The vendors in town also sold maybe 3 different items.

Boring, un-challenging game-play. Maybe because I choose the archer class...but I play the game 100% like I played an amazon in diablo2. Inch forward till I see an enemy in the corner of my screen. Spam arrows until nothing else it running at me. If they get close run back and repeat.

I don't know what I was expecting...but this is exactly the same game that came out 10 years ago. It feels, and plays a lot like the game Torchlight. Torchlight might have actually been quite a bit deeper than this game.

Good news is I know this is not the game that is going to replace SWTOR for me so I saved a little money on changing my subscription from Month-to-Month to 3month.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Haven't played much of those games, but Blizzard definitely knows a thing or two about difficulty settings. There will be some kind of hard or impossible mode, there will probably be a newgame ++, and there probably will be a permadeath option. Take all 3 and win to prove you have no life.
Yup http://www.diablowiki.net/Inferno
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
CAS

This may have been mentioned already but my only real criticism of D3 is the party limit of 4 people. I've heard there are many good gameplay reasons for this but that's a huge drawback since a lot of people are looking forward to games with 6 or more people.