Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-29-2019, 10:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Internship Advice

Hello everyone,

I am starting my summer internship in the coming week. It's at a P&C firm. I am terrified and extremely nervous about starting the internship. It's my first internship in this field and I don't think I even have sufficient knowledge to go about this internship. I am feeling quite anxious and nervous about it. I was wondering if someone has any advice on how to calmly approach my internship and make the most out of it. What kind of projects do interns work on? What basis are the interns judged on? Any help is appreciated!

Thank you so much!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:56 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

First of all, don't be nervous. It won't help you perform better, so it's best to calm yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:19 AM
CAS

The employees at the firm know that you don't know anything. You will likely get very simple spreadsheet updating work. You are likely to have periods of time with no real work to do.

Try to not get in the way, but don't be a recluse either. Hopefully you can "read the room." Ask questions about the work, but don't ask frivolous questions attempting to demonstrate how smart you are.

If you are invited to social activities like lunch or after work drinks, participate. Do not get drunk.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

Depending on the company, you may go thru the "fresh hire" training, which can take many forms. You may be given a special project, something they've always wanted to study, but didn't have the time/person to do it. You may be given a regular person's work so that they are freed up to do such a project.

And don't worry about not knowing anything - you are an intern to learn. Absorb all you can, and treat this summer as a 3 month interview for a full time job when you graduate.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:31 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
The employees at the firm know that you don't know anything. You will likely get very simple spreadsheet updating work. You are likely to have periods of time with no real work to do.

Try to not get in the way, but don't be a recluse either. Hopefully you can "read the room." Ask questions about the work, but don't ask frivolous questions attempting to demonstrate how smart you are.

If you are invited to social activities like lunch or after work drinks, participate. Do not get drunk.

And if you're curious about the work you can read the ratemaking source from exam 5, but they won't expect you to have. In fact they may even give it to you to fill some lull periods.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM
SOA

Studying for PA

The work you do all summer could probably done in a week by someone with a couple year of experience. And you'll likely be given heavier guidance as detailed as which Excel formulas to use. Just ask questions about what you don't understand and what it's like to work there in general. And participate in >50% of social activities.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM
CAS

realize too that the employees (probably) have actual work to do so you might get ignored for long stretches of time. do not spend this time looking at your phone, surfing on the computer, etc. SAVE A COPY of one of the workbooks you've been given access to, play around with it, study it. see if you can figure out what's going on and why. if you come up with a GOOD question or two, ask someone about it.

as someone else mentioned, view your time there as an extended job interview

Last edited by yoyo; 05-30-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM
CAS

will you be the only actuarial intern this summer or will there be others too during this time?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
First of all, don't be nervous. It won't help you perform better, so it's best to calm yourself.
Thank you for the advice! I will mess up if I get nervous. It is better to approach the internship calmly.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:34 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post

Those are some good advices! Thank you so much!

Tags
entry level advice, internship, job, p&c